Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Virgin Media Ireland Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday, Wednesday & Friday, 12pm-3pm.

Horizon WLAN/LAN ..when a factory reset isn't a factory reset

08.05.2014 01:41 #1
In my infinite wisdom when I got the horizon box last July I set a non-default username/password on the web portal page and made the UPC box operate on the 192.168.1.x subnet (changed from the default of 192.168.192.x). Now I need access to the control panel for port forwarding and some other things, so I've been trying to reset it. 

From an older thread here Brian said that a factory reset is the only way to do this. No problem and I reset the box while saving my recordings. The box resets, re-runs the insallation but the kicker is it still has the same SSID, same WLAN password, hasn't reverted to 192.168.192.1 and sure enough the admin/admin default username and password isn't working.

I've since reset the box while also wiping recordings in case it was some insanely wrong setting but sure enough that didn't work either. There doesn't appear to be a reset button on the box like the old Cisco modems so can  somebody tell me the right way to go about restoring the box (or even just the LAN/WLAN settings) to the factory default? 
08.05.2014 13:21 #2
Originally posted by TouchingVirus
In my infinite wisdom when I got the horizon box last July I set a non-default username/password on the web portal page and made the UPC box operate on the 192.168.1.x subnet (changed from the default of 192.168.192.x). Now I need access to the control panel for port forwarding and some other things, so I've been trying to reset it. 

From an older thread here Brian said that a factory reset is the only way to do this. No problem and I reset the box while saving my recordings. The box resets, re-runs the insallation but the kicker is it still has the same SSID, same WLAN password, hasn't reverted to 192.168.192.1 and sure enough the admin/admin default username and password isn't working.

I've since reset the box while also wiping recordings in case it was some insanely wrong setting but sure enough that didn't work either. There doesn't appear to be a reset button on the box like the old Cisco modems so can  somebody tell me the right way to go about restoring the box (or even just the LAN/WLAN settings) to the factory default? 

Hi TouchingVirus, 

If two factory resets have no defaulted the settings for you just PM UPC: Reps with your account details and full name, we can look into this.

Thanks. 
1 thank
09.05.2014 00:41 #3
Whatever magic you did in the background there worked a treat, the LAN settings were reverted to their defaults and I've got access again. I'll be writing down the password this time. Thanks very much for the help Brian
09.05.2014 13:28 #4
Whatever magic you did in the background there worked a treat, the LAN settings were reverted to their defaults and I've got access again. I'll be writing down the password this time. Thanks very much for the help Brian

Not a problem TouchingVirus, let us know if anything else comes up. 

Thanks.
17.11.2014 22:31 #5
Originally posted by UPC: Brian

Thanks.

Hi UPC: Brian.,

I have the same problem.....admin/admin or admin/"blank" doesn't work.....all combinations of username/password give the incorrect username/password message....with the exception of one that gives "internal error" message.......so I can only imagine that there's a bug/error in the modem code that's preventing me logging in.

Please can you carry out a factory reset for me of the modem....I've already done the box and it doesn't work..
18.11.2014 13:32 #6
Originally posted by ItIsWhatItIs
Originally posted by UPC: Brian

Thanks.

I have the same problem.....admin/admin or admin/"blank" doesn't work.....all combinations of username/password give the incorrect username/password message....with the exception of one that gives "internal error" message.......so I can only imagine that there's a bug/error in the modem code that's preventing me logging in.

Please can you carry out a factory reset for me of the modem....I've already done the box and it doesn't work..

Hi there,

We have sent you a PM so check when you can please.

Thanks, Brian F
17.01.2015 14:55 #7
Hi,

I have been onto UPC twice (Chat & Web Form) about getting access to the Horizon Network Portal... promised an email with a resolution and still waiting 2 months on
I've done the Factory Reset Twice

Still no access!

Overall the network/wifi aspect of Horizon is very disappointing when it comes to streaming or any activity that requires continuous uninterrupted connectivity (e.g. Xbox Live).

Regards,
cclune
19.01.2015 13:37 #8
Originally posted by cclune
Hi,

I have been onto UPC twice (Chat & Web Form) about getting access to the Horizon Network Portal... promised an email with a resolution and still waiting 2 months on
I've done the Factory Reset Twice

Still no access!

Overall the network/wifi aspect of Horizon is very disappointing when it comes to streaming or any activity that requires continuous uninterrupted connectivity (e.g. Xbox Live).

Regards,
cclune

Hi there, 

Can you follow the guide here and let us know if you can access the Horizon admin page?

Thanks.
09.05.2015 10:11 #9
Hey guys hate to bump an old thread but I am in the same position. Nothing is working and tried directly plugging in to laptop and still no joy. Any help would be appreciated 
11.05.2015 12:53 #10
Originally posted by FreudianSlippers
Hey guys hate to bump an old thread but I am in the same position. Nothing is working and tried directly plugging in to laptop and still no joy. Any help would be appreciated 

Hi FreudianSlippers, 

Are you able to get to the admin page username and password request? 
If so can you let us know the error shown when you enter username: admin and password as : password 

Thanks.
11.05.2015 15:11 #11
I wasn't, but I got there eventually by fluke. Problem solved now thanks.
11.05.2015 15:16 #12
Originally posted by FreudianSlippers
I wasn't, but I got there eventually by fluke. Problem solved now thanks.

Glad to hear, let us know if you see any other issues. 

Brian.
17.05.2015 20:24 #13

Same problem here after 3 Factory resets. I will PM UPC reps with my account number.

Thanks,
18.05.2015 13:02 #14
Originally posted by cags12

Same problem here after 3 Factory resets. I will PM UPC reps with my account number.

Thanks,

Hi Cags12,

We've replied to your PM now, check when you can.

Thanks.
23.09.2015 21:56 #15
Hi, I am having the same problem and I cannot log in to the box after 2 resets. Can you help me with it too, please?

Also, I don't understand why do I have to reset the password only through this forum or with CS? That should be doable anytime I want just by pushing the button or so. To be honest, these Horizon boxes are just pain if I can complain... Wifi still dropping, internet and Tv sometimes not working, sound not possible to adjust unless you have the supported television, less Tv programs, much more complicated menu, and finally higher monthly payments... that was real deal of the year ;o)

Thanks,
Kuba
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image