Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

SUSI Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday 9:00am - 6:00pm

Am I Eligible to apply for a grant?

03.04.2014 14:00 #1
Hello SUSI

I emigrated in June 2010 and returned August 2013. In September I started a PLC course and it finishes in May of this year.

I will start a level 8 degree in September. Will I be eligible to apply for a SUSI grant? I have heard that I need to be in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years?

If I am not eligible, do you know if I will be entitled to any other benefits? 

Thanks
03.04.2014 15:36 #2
Verified representative
Hi Gus,

Thanks for your message.

Originally posted by Gus Ivey
I emigrated in June 2010 and returned August 2013. In September I started a PLC course and it finishes in May of this year.

I will start a level 8 degree in September. Will I be eligible to apply for a SUSI grant? I have heard that I need to be in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years?

Unfortunately if an applicant cannot provide evidence of residence in Ireland or the E.U for three of the last five years they cannot qualify for the grant on the basis of the residency requirement. However, if the dates supplied by you previously are accurate, you would be able to cover 2009, 10 & 13. We require one document per year for evidence of residency.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk
03.04.2014 15:41 #3
Originally posted by SUSI: Shane
Hi Gus,

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately if an applicant cannot provide evidence of residence in Ireland or the E.U for three of the last five years they cannot qualify for the grant on the basis of the residency requirement. However, if the dates supplied by you previously are accurate, you would be able to cover 2009, 10 & 13. We require one document per year for evidence of residency.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk

Thanks for your reply Shane.

So by 3 years out of the last 5 years, it does not mean 36 months?

I was in Ireland for the whole of 2009. I was in Ireland from January to May 2010. And I have been back in Ireland since August 2013. Will that be enough to qualify?

Thanks
03.04.2014 16:09 #4
Verified representative
Hi Gus,

Thanks for your message.

I was in Ireland for the whole of 2009. I was in Ireland from January to May 2010. And I have been back in Ireland since August 2013. Will that be enough to qualify?

That would be enough to qualify once you could provide proof of residency for the dates listed above. For evidence of residency we accept educational documents (exam results, letters confirming attendance, etc), employment related documents (P60's, P21's, etc), residential documents (utility bills, lease agreements, etc), correspondence from the social welfare, bank statements, etc.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk
03.04.2014 16:50 #5
Originally posted by SUSI: Shane
Hi Gus,

Thanks for your message.

That would be enough to qualify once you could provide proof of residency for the dates listed above. For evidence of residency we accept educational documents (exam results, letters confirming attendance, etc), employment related documents (P60's, P21's, etc), residential documents (utility bills, lease agreements, etc), correspondence from the social welfare, bank statements, etc.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk

Thanks for your help Shane
03.04.2014 16:57 #6
Verified representative
Thanks for your help Shane

You're very welcome Gus, we are happy to help.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list