Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

SUSI Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday 9:00am - 6:00pm

Leaving course due to depression

18.03.2014 21:35 #1
I started a third level course in 2009, I completed first year but left during second year due to depression and anxiety. I received the fees part of the grant. If i was to return to second year of the course this September would I be able to qualify for the fees part of the grant again?
From what I've read it seems I can, but is there any way to get a definite answer before returning to college?
Thanks
19.03.2014 10:33 #2
Verified representative
Hi Pillphil,

Thanks for your message.

Originally posted by pillphil
I started a third level course in 2009, I completed first year but left during second year due to depression and anxiety. I received the fees part of the grant. If i was to return to second year of the course this September would I be able to qualify for the fees part of the grant again?
In order to be treated as a second chance student, a student needs to be pursuing an approved course following a break in studies of at least five years, in circumstances where the student has previously attended but not successfully completed a course - Article 13(6), Student Grant Scheme 2013.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk
23.03.2014 04:16 #3
Is there no exceptions for people who had to leave for medical reasons/exceptional circumstances? 

Would it also not depend on when in the Second year they dropped out? (i.e before October 31st or Jan 31st)
24.03.2014 10:49 #4
Verified representative
Hi DylanII,

Thanks for your message.

Originally posted by DylanII
Is there no exceptions for people who had to leave for medical reasons/exceptional circumstances? 

It may be possible to receive the grant without having to complete a repeat of study if the applicant withdrew on medical grounds. There is an additional notes section at the back of the application where the applicant would make their circumstances known. It is then likely that they would have to supply documentation to support this. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee eligibility under exceptional circumstances as these are assessed on a case by case basis.

Originally posted by DylanII
Would it also not depend on when in the Second year they dropped out? (i.e before October 31st or Jan 31st)

Unless you qualified as a second chance student the time at which you dropped out would not be relevant. A repeat period of study would be required.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk
02.04.2014 18:04 #5
Originally posted by SUSI: Shane
Hi Pillphil,

Thanks for your message.

In order to be treated as a second chance student, a student needs to be pursuing an approved course following a break in studies of at least five years, in circumstances where the student has previously attended but not successfully completed a course - Article 13(6), Student Grant Scheme 2013.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk

Hi, 

I notice that this response has been changed since I last saw it. Does this mean that the 3 year rule no longer applies?

Thanks
03.04.2014 10:36 #6
Verified representative
Hi Pillphil,

Thanks for your message.

Does this mean that the 3 year rule no longer applies?

Unfortunately to be classed as a second chance student there would have to be a five year break in studies.

As you withdrew from second year on medical grounds previously and are returning to second year again, you could apply on the grounds of an exceptional circumstance. In the back of the application form there is an additional notes section where you will be able to explain your circumstance's and this will then be reviewed. It is likely that you would have to supply documentation to support this. Unfortunately I could not guarantee eligibility on these grounds as these are assessed on a case by case basis.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list