Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Three Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday-Friday: 10am-6pm

New SIM needed for 4G access?

13.03.2014 11:05 #31
Originally posted by Three: Sheena
Originally posted by bigabarry
Hi Sheena,

Yes, a SIM free GS4.  When you say shortly, do you have an estimate as to when?  Because the guys on the support line said there was currently no ETA?  It says on the link provided that the roll our start on Jan 27.  I check for an update every day and nothing.  Surly if I was going to get it I would have had it by now? 

If I provide my number is there a way to get it pushed out to my device?

Thanks to Pizzhead & jongaz too for your contributions.  


Thanks


The initial date we provided was not achieved as amendments were required to the software provided by the manufacturer to ensure optimal user experience. We apologise for this delay and continue to work as closely as possible with our partners to ensure we deliver the software at the earliest possible time.

Most people are using 4G on their S4's now with no issue, and we anticipate that it will be rolled out to the remaining few soon but I don't have a specific timeframe for this.

Hi Shenna,

Just to confirm, I received the 4.4.2 kitkat update today.  

Still can't access LTE 

Thanks,
Alan
13.03.2014 11:35 #32
Originally posted by bigabarry
Originally posted by Three: Sheena

The initial date we provided was not achieved as amendments were required to the software provided by the manufacturer to ensure optimal user experience. We apologise for this delay and continue to work as closely as possible with our partners to ensure we deliver the software at the earliest possible time.

Most people are using 4G on their S4's now with no issue, and we anticipate that it will be rolled out to the remaining few soon but I don't have a specific timeframe for this.

Hi Shenna,

Just to confirm, I received the 4.4.2 kitkat update today.  

Still can't access LTE 

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan, the 4.4.2 update was pushed out by Samsung but this is not the same update that will enable 4G on the remaining S4's. I will update here as soon as I have more information.
13.03.2014 17:44 #33
Originally posted by Three: Sheena
Originally posted by bigabarry
Originally posted by Three: Sheena

The initial date we provided was not achieved as amendments were required to the software provided by the manufacturer to ensure optimal user experience. We apologise for this delay and continue to work as closely as possible with our partners to ensure we deliver the software at the earliest possible time.

Most people are using 4G on their S4's now with no issue, and we anticipate that it will be rolled out to the remaining few soon but I don't have a specific timeframe for this.

Hi Shenna,

Just to confirm, I received the 4.4.2 kitkat update today.  

Still can't access LTE 

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan, the 4.4.2 update was pushed out by Samsung but this is not the same update that will enable 4G on the remaining S4's. I will update here as soon as I have more information.

Well, finally this epic journey is at an end. 

I went into three, asked to get new sim.  Got new sim.  Now have 4G.
Clearly no software update needed.  

But the plot thickens.  Out of curiosity, I asked the girl (Emer, Dundrum Three store - super helpful) what software she was running (she also had a GS4).  She was running 4.3 and she had 4G.  Now when I was running 4.3 I couldn't get 4G, same when I updated to 4.4.2.  But I asked her to swap out her sim with mine.  Just to satisfy my curiosity.  

She could connect to 4G.  

UN
BE
LIEV
ABLE

This is incredible.  
My sim and my phone on 4.3 & 4.4, no LTE. 
Her sim and her phone running 4.3, she gets LTE.

My phone + her sim, LTE.  
My sim + her phone, LTE.  

So it seems my issue was neither a software issue nor was a it a sim issue.  Yet it had to have been the sim as it works now.  YET MY SIM GIVES HER LTE....

Anyway..... I care not.  I wish all of you well.  

Simple solution to all 4G issues.  Knock into three and ask for a new sim lads.  

Cheers!
1 thank
14.03.2014 10:00 #34
Originally posted by bigabarry
Well, finally this epic journey is at an end. 

I went into three, asked to get new sim.  Got new sim.  Now have 4G.
Clearly no software update needed.  

But the plot thickens.  Out of curiosity, I asked the girl (Emer, Dundrum Three store - super helpful) what software she was running (she also had a GS4).  She was running 4.3 and she had 4G.  Now when I was running 4.3 I couldn't get 4G, same when I updated to 4.4.2.  But I asked her to swap out her sim with mine.  Just to satisfy my curiosity.  

She could connect to 4G.  

UN
BE
LIEV
ABLE

This is incredible.  
My sim and my phone on 4.3 & 4.4, no LTE. 
Her sim and her phone running 4.3, she gets LTE.

My phone + her sim, LTE.  
My sim + her phone, LTE.  

So it seems my issue was neither a software issue nor was a it a sim issue.  Yet it had to have been the sim as it works now.  YET MY SIM GIVES HER LTE....

Anyway..... I care not.  I wish all of you well.  

Simple solution to all 4G issues.  Knock into three and ask for a new sim lads.  

Cheers!

I am delighted to hear that 4G is working for you now, but surprised to hear that the new SIM resolved it. I'll forward on that feedback to our team here, thanks for coming back to let us know.
14.03.2014 12:40 #35
Originally posted by Three: Sheena
I am delighted to hear that 4G is working for you now, but surprised to hear that the new SIM resolved it. I'll forward on that feedback to our team here, thanks for coming back to let us know.


No probs. Thanks for the assistance Sheena
1 thank
18.03.2014 11:43 #36
Originally posted by bigabarry
Originally posted by Three: Sheena
I am delighted to hear that 4G is working for you now, but surprised to hear that the new SIM resolved it. I'll forward on that feedback to our team here, thanks for coming back to let us know.


No probs. Thanks for the assistance Sheena

Thanks again for letting us know your experience Bigabarry. It led us to the following update:

We can confirm that if you have recently updated your phone to version 4.4 you may now have 4G/LTE service. If not, call to any Three store to pick up a free replacement SIM card and this should allow 4G to be chosen in your Network Settings.
18.03.2014 12:53 #37
Originally posted by Three: Sheena
Thanks again for letting us know your experience Bigabarry. It led us to the following update:

We can confirm that if you have recently updated your phone to version 4.4 you may now have 4G/LTE service. If not, call to any Three store to pick up a free replacement SIM card and this should allow 4G to be chosen in your Network Settings.


Glad to have been able to help!

Thanks
1 thank
19.03.2014 14:37 #38
Registered User
I went into Donaghmede Shopping Centre today and asked the chap in there about a replacement SIM. He said that this wouldn't make any difference to whether I can access LTE or not. He also stated that the software update will be rolled out in batches and it was just a "waiting game"

Can you confirm that what your colleague has told me is true or he is ALSO mistaken?
19.03.2014 16:01 #39
Originally posted by winston82
I went into Donaghmede Shopping Centre today and asked the chap in there about a replacement SIM. He said that this wouldn't make any difference to whether I can access LTE or not. He also stated that the software update will be rolled out in batches and it was just a "waiting game"

Can you confirm that what your colleague has told me is true or he is ALSO mistaken?

Which phone are you using winston82 and did it recently update to 4.4.2?
19.03.2014 16:10 #40
Registered User
Originally posted by Three: Sheena
Which phone are you using winston82 and did it recently update to 4.4.2?


Galaxy S4, upgraded to 4.4.2, unbranded, bought from 3, 6 months ago. He said I shouldn't need a new sim. Your website also confirms this. So do I need a new sim or not? You're now saying we do but the customer care team, your in-store cleck and your website are clearly contradicting this...

20.03.2014 09:56 #41
Originally posted by winston82
Originally posted by Three: Sheena
Which phone are you using winston82 and did it recently update to 4.4.2?


Galaxy S4, upgraded to 4.4.2, unbranded, bought from 3, 6 months ago. He said I shouldn't need a new sim. Your website also confirms this. So do I need a new sim or not? You're now saying we do but the customer care team, your in-store cleck and your website are clearly contradicting this...



Winston82, I do suggest getting a new SIM. I know it contradicts the website and for that I apologise, but this has resolved the issue for others and so I have no reason to believe that this wouldn't also enable 4G on your S4. If a store is not convenient you can send me a PM with your details and I'll post a SIM out to you.
20.03.2014 18:09 #42
Registered User
Originally posted by Three: Sheena
Winston82, I do suggest getting a new SIM. I know it contradicts the website and for that I apologise, but this has resolved the issue for others and so I have no reason to believe that this wouldn't also enable 4G on your S4. If a store is not convenient you can send me a PM with your details and I'll post a SIM out to you.


I already went in to the store. Going in again inconveniences me. He told me in there that I shouldn't need one and said it was a waiting game.

Also, my friend went in to the one on Henry Street as was told the exact same. He got a sim anyway and it enabled his LTE option.

As a gesture of goodwill, I'll go back in again and inform him that it will work and that the information he is relaying to the customers is false so that he will know for future queries.
20.03.2014 18:12 #43
Registered User
Originally posted by winston82


As a gesture of goodwill, I'll go back in again and inform him that it will work and that the information he is relaying to the customers is false so that he will know for future queries.


I would not recommend dat
21.03.2014 09:57 #44
Originally posted by winston82
Originally posted by Three: Sheena
Winston82, I do suggest getting a new SIM. I know it contradicts the website and for that I apologise, but this has resolved the issue for others and so I have no reason to believe that this wouldn't also enable 4G on your S4. If a store is not convenient you can send me a PM with your details and I'll post a SIM out to you.


I already went in to the store. Going in again inconveniences me. He told me in there that I shouldn't need one and said it was a waiting game.

Also, my friend went in to the one on Henry Street as was told the exact same. He got a sim anyway and it enabled his LTE option.

As a gesture of goodwill, I'll go back in again and inform him that it will work and that the information he is relaying to the customers is false so that he will know for future queries.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you out a replacement SIM in the post. There's no need to pop back to the store, I've passed on the message to the correct area.
22.03.2014 13:08 #45
Registered User
Lol three store in ennis, there was 2 women working behind the counter, I asked one about 4g and she goes "whats that?"
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video
Remove Formatting
View source
Please Log In or Sign Up to join the discussion