Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

SUSI Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday 9:00am - 6:00pm

Getting grant in 2nd year

03.03.2014 18:42 #1
Hi, I started a three year course in September 2013. I was only 22 on 1st Jan 2013 so my parents income would have been assessed (even though I have not lived at home since 2009) so I didn't even apply for a grant as I would not have been eligible based on their income. I live with my partner, pay my own fees etc.. I'm wondering if it is possible to apply for a grant for my second year (2014/2015) and would I be considered an independent mature applicant?

This is my first time attending college in Ireland and I have never received any form of grant before.
04.03.2014 10:12 #2
Verified representative
Hi Sahara24,

Thanks for your message.

Originally posted by sahara24
Hi, I started a three year course in September 2013. I was only 22 on 1st Jan 2013 ..... I'm wondering if it is possible to apply for a grant for my second year (2014/2015) and would I be considered an independent mature applicant?

Unfortunately you would not be eligible to apply as an independent student for second year as you are classed from when you began your first approved course. This means that as you were a dependent student at the point of entering your current course, you will continue to be classed as a dependent student unless you take a three year break in studies.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list