Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

SUSI Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday to Friday 9:00am - 6:00pm

Could someone clarify what is the 'reckonable income' for special rate?

22.12.2013 18:24 #1
I was reading about the special rate of maintenance grant and it started to get super-confusing.

What Income is disregarded?

Certain payments are disregarded when calculating reckonable income. These are known as income disregards:
  • Child Benefit
  • Family Income Supplement
  • Disability Allowance (where paid to the applicant)
  • Blind Pension (where paid to the applicant)
  • One Parent Family Payments (Means Tested) (where paid to the applicant)
  • Guardian’s Payment
  • Foster Care Allowance
  • Domiciliary Care Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Student Assistance Fund
  • Student grant
  • Compensation for a personal injury

BUT:
To be eligible for the special rate of maintenance an applicant’s reckonable income on 31 December 2012 must include an eligible payment listed in Schedule 2

Schedule 2 includes:
33. Family Income Supplement (FIS)

My question: Is FIS included or disregarded when calculating the reckonable income for the €22,703 limit?
Thanks,
Mario95
23.12.2013 10:20 #2
Verified representative
Hi Mario,

Thank you for your query.

Originally posted by Mario95
My question: Is FIS included or disregarded when calculating the reckonable income for the €22,703 limit?
Thanks,
Mario95

FIS would be deducted from your total figure when calculating your reckonable income. However, this is an eligible payment for the Special Rate. Therefore if your reckonable income is less than €22,703 and you are in receipt of FIS, you should be eligible for the special rate.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
Allanah,
SUSI HelpDesk.
1 thank
24.03.2014 19:17 #3
Thanks Allanah!

I am still a bit confused as to how to calculate the reckonable income.
Can I send you a PM with my income details so can you estimate which grant rate I will most likely be eligible for.

Thanks again,
-Mario95
25.03.2014 09:49 #4
Verified representative
Hi Mario,

Thanks for your message.

Originally posted by Mario95
I am still a bit confused as to how to calculate the reckonable income. Can I send you a PM with my income details so can you estimate which grant rate I will most likely be

If you would like to forward us the income details we can try our best to provide you with an estimate which you will then be able to use to check which income bracket you fall into. However without the correct information obtained from the Revenue or supported by documentation, we cannot guarantee that the estimate will be accurate.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,
Shane,
SUSI HelpDesk
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list