Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Faulty laptop

30.07.2013 12:58 #1
Complaint re. customer service

On the 15th of March 2013 I bought a HP laptop in PC World Galway (receipt no. 024381).
On June 26th I brought it back as the hard drive was faulty. It was sent away for repair (ref. 216075) and came back 2 weeks later on 9th July with a new hard drive. 

The next day I noticed a rattling coming from the hard drive but as I was going on holidays that evening I didnt have time to bring it back in. Last Sunday (28th July) I brought it back to the Galway store where I explained the fault and one of the tech guys identified the fault as being the hard drive again. I was then told that it would have to go away for repair again which I cannot accept as I need my laptop for work and I cannot afford another two weeks off work. I then left the store and rang customer care who told me that it is at the store managers discretion to replace a faulty product but that it comes off their budget so they are reluctant to do so. I went back into store and spoke to manager who then told me that it was in the nature of electrical products to go faulty and they would send it away for repair as many times as was needed without replacing it and that two weeks was the minimum it would take each time. I left the store again with the laptop and rang my solicitor who explained that under Irish Consumer Law I have the right to a replacement of a faulty product and I am not required to accept a repair, especially when it has already been repaired once.

So I would like to know why PC World is not agreeing to a replacement and why a store manager seemingly has the power to ignore Irish law. I would appreciate a swift reply as I would like to get this issue cleared up as quickly as possible before my laptop fails again completely and I am left out of work.

Cust. No. 3373211031
30.07.2013 13:01 #2
Originally posted by yummymummy
Complaint re. customer service

On the 15th of March 2013 I bought a HP laptop in PC World Galway (receipt no. 024381).
On June 26th I brought it back as the hard drive was faulty. It was sent away for repair (ref. 216075) and came back 2 weeks later on 9th July with a new hard drive. 

The next day I noticed a rattling coming from the hard drive but as I was going on holidays that evening I didnt have time to bring it back in. Last Sunday (28th July) I brought it back to the Galway store where I explained the fault and one of the tech guys identified the fault as being the hard drive again. I was then told that it would have to go away for repair again which I cannot accept as I need my laptop for work and I cannot afford another two weeks off work. I then left the store and rang customer care who told me that it is at the store managers discretion to replace a faulty product but that it comes off their budget so they are reluctant to do so. I went back into store and spoke to manager who then told me that it was in the nature of electrical products to go faulty and they would send it away for repair as many times as was needed without replacing it and that two weeks was the minimum it would take each time. I left the store again with the laptop and rang my solicitor who explained that under Irish Consumer Law I have the right to a replacement of a faulty product and I am not required to accept a repair, especially when it has already been repaired once.

So I would like to know why PC World is not agreeing to a replacement and why a store manager seemingly has the power to ignore Irish law. I would appreciate a swift reply as I would like to get this issue cleared up as quickly as possible before my laptop fails again completely and I am left out of work.

Cust. No. 3373211031

I don't think anybody is replying here, as they posted a thread saying the forum was being closed.

Under consumer law, any repair must be permanent. It wasn't, so you're entitled to either a replacement or refund. If they won't do it, you'll need to go to the small claims court.
30.07.2013 13:16 #3
Thanks, didnt see that it was closed!! Tried msg'ing from the dixon website too but link is broken!! And so the fight continues...:confused:
30.07.2013 20:53 #4
Repair

If you request a repair of a faulty product instead of rejecting it, it should be a permanent repair. If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund. If you are not happy with the retailer’s offer to repair the item, you can reject it. But if you do this, you may have to use the Small Claims process if you want to take the matter further.

[size=1.2em]From[/size]

]http://www.nca.ie/nca/faulty-goods[/url]  Looks like you might have to go to the small claims court to enforce your rights.  It is simple enough to do yourself without the expense of a solicitor.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video