Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Currys & PC World Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

The Currys PC World "Talk To" Forum Will be Closing.

22.07.2013 19:10 #16
Shame on you guys for throwing away what Declan created, and for having so little regard for your customers that you wouldn't give it the attention it needed to remain relevant or successful.
6 thanks
23.07.2013 13:45 #17
Banned
Still a link to Boards on the PC World site.... Hurry up lads :)
23.07.2013 13:52 #18
Dental Plan!
Originally posted by T-Bird
hmm is this the first public sign of pulling out of the country?

I would say so. Declan's leaving and the subsequent demise of this forum shows that the strings being pulled from the UK simply give zero recognition to the Irish market.

Currys/PC World were known as a joke, very poorly regarded by the public in general, and the shops were half empty even during the Celtic Tiger era. 

I can't see them surviving much longer the way that they're going.
23.07.2013 14:14 #19
Declan was the reason I purchaced goods in pcworld. His leaving and the lack of hunger to take over what he did is the reason I won't be shopping there anymore.,
23.07.2013 15:44 #20
Originally posted by seamus
Currys/PC World were known as a joke, very poorly regarded by the public in general, and the shops were half empty even during the Celtic Tiger era.

They'd do well maybe leaving one large store in each major city; Dublin/Galway/Cork/Belfast so that they still have a presence in Ireland, but at the same time not leech from another store.
24.07.2013 01:48 #21
Originally posted by seamus
I would say so. Declan's leaving and the subsequent demise of this forum shows that the strings being pulled from the UK simply give zero recognition to the Irish market.

I can't see them surviving much longer the way that they're going.

Agree, but unfortunately I feel that a majority of the"multi-nationals" are waiting to call time on Ireland and are just waiting for the first one to bail.

A few of them more or less said they would give it one or two more years. Some may say its a good thing if they go, but I disagree. The loss of jobs will be quite bad, as its not just the "floor-staff" that will lose their jobs. There’s delivery, cleaning, warehouse, local areas (eg big chains bring in more customers to other shops etc.)

I popped into my local PC word the other day, they changed the layout of it and added even more "space". But I guess they are also trying to cut costs as well, stock costs money and the speed in technology these days means that product is obsolete in no time...

Anyways, I’m just rambling. Besides, times are a changing and the day of big shops like these will soon be over and we will all be purchasing product from fancy "pigeon-English" websites.....  :P
25.07.2013 10:44 #22
Declan was the one reason me and a lot of others actually started using PC world/Curries, i don't know if they understood the reach of that. It's not just the people here that started using it, it's the people we told and so on. Will be missed!
25.07.2013 11:40 #23
Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion
Declan was the one reason me and a lot of others actually started using PC world/Curries, i don't know if they understood the reach of that. It's not just the people here that started using it, it's the people we told and so on. Will be missed!

I agree. Many posters here would have been early adapters or the go to person that friends came to when buying laptops pcs tvs Etc.
25.07.2013 11:53 #24
Originally posted by Currys PC World: Sean
I just want to reassure everyone that even though Declan may have moved on we do intend to continue with this forum and to keep the same level of service, feedback and commitment that we’ve always had. I for one believe  that this is one of the best tools we have to hear what our customers want and to get valuable feedback on what we can do to improve our customers experience in store.
I’ll have the forum charter updated in due time and I will try to respond as offten and quickly as I can. 
I’d like to thank everyone here who have posted all the kind words and best wishes for Declan, and everyone here wishes him all the best of luck in the future!

Kind Regards,
Sean

Shame to see it go. I used to come in here for a browse and couldn't help be impressed by the service offered. You couldn't help but be aware of this 'Talk To' forum as it constantly got mentioned elsewhere throughout boards thanks to Declan's commitment. As others have said it definitely changed my opinion of the company. 

I think the company will be counting the cost of these cutbacks.
25.07.2013 23:18 #25
In fairness to Sean, he tried, but was largely on his own. Doubtful he had permission or leeway to mould this forum in the same way Declan was able to.
1 thank
26.07.2013 03:19 #26
Originally posted by irishgrover
I know that when Declan got involved withthis, he actually managed to do what I personally though was impossible. He single-handedly changed peoples perceptions of Currys / PC word. For the first time I, and a lot of other people, considered Currys / PC World as a viable place to spend, as opposed to a corporate sh!tehole full of people who knew nothing. On one occasion last year, after direct input from Declan,  I went in and spent almost a couple of grand that had been earmarked for other retailers. But much more than that, when non technical friends and neighbours went to me for recommendations I started sending them to Currys / PC World

When Declan left, it was quite obvious, quitequickly that Declan appeared to be the only one who understood the value of a good online presence, and the inherent value of a well maintained online presence. Watching this place turn into a cluster&*ck in such a short period of time has been sad and amusing at the same time.
I guess snr management can't measure the intrinsicvalue that Declan brought back to the brand, and if they can't measure it then they pretend it doesn't exist. I’m sure someone is Currys / PC world is thinking that the resource expenditure on this would get a better return by selling protection cover to the great unwashed in the stores......I hope they find intelligent management before it's too late for all...

Having said that, if they can't understand andfix it,  there are right to close this down, displaying such ineptitude in such a public forum is of no use to anyone..

Its a lesson for the corporate bean counters that a dedicated man like Declan can't be marked down as an intangible asset.

They'll see it become very tangible very quickly when people spend their money elsewhere.
26.07.2013 03:41 #27
Originally posted by AngryHippie
Its a lesson for the corporate bean counters that a dedicated man like Declan can't be marked down as an intangible asset.

They'll see it become very tangible very quickly when people spend their money elsewhere.

Exactly, Other brand representatives that are on boards should look at what has happened here. They need to understand the power of a forum/ direct contact. If your going to do it, do it right. Make a budget for it, fix a small problem for a customer - reap massive rewards. A customer can easily make you or break you these days. Word can spread very quickly.
26.07.2013 13:53 #28
Dixons boss’s pay rises to £1.3m

Sebastian James, the chief executive of Dixons Retail, enjoyed a significant rise in his total pay to £1.3m last year after boosting profits at the Currys owner. The bulk of the increase in the payout came from his cash bonus increasing by £493,000 to £572,000, and from his salary jumping from £114,000 to £600,000.

They seem to be doing OK in the UK :) But i wonder if HE was answer public comments at midnight on Christmas Day. Declan was a star, his gardening leave should be coming to an end, so hopefully we will start hearing from him again in another venture.

smurfjed
26.07.2013 14:08 #29
The closure of This thread will be of no loss.

The rot had set in before Declan left. I'm sure Declan was committed to Customer Service, however his Superiors obviously were not
Curry's did not need a CEO for a market the size of greater Manchester.

It has simply taken six months for someone to decide to close the forum / thread.
How long will it take before someone decides to pull the plug on Currys PC World in ROI?

Since January I made several attempts to buy electrical items from PC World, the larger items including a 42 in TV and a larder fridge. In the end I bought the items in Soundstore who provided greater Customer Service at a similar price..

I think it is only a matter of time before PC World remove themselves from our retail parks in the same way as B&Q have started closing their store in Waterford.

I for one won't mourn the Curry's PC World closure. On one occasion when I bought the entire electrical fit out , I endured a three week delay on delivery of the items. Nothing really changed over the years. :)
26.07.2013 23:48 #30
I've been following the Currys/PC World threads for a good while now (under a different user name) and Declan really was a breath of fresh air. How many company directors are on here to take all the crap and sometimes praise that is thrown at them. I don't see anyone on here from Harvey Norman, D.I.D, Expert or any other company directors in the same field on here to try to sort out peoples issues. Declan is gone and won't be back, but it is not because Currys/PC World are leaving Ireland, it's just that the company is restructuring.

I used to work for them, and I can say that on my part all my ex-work colleagues would do everything in their power to look after the customer and try to keep them happy, but when you are dealing with the public and technology that is not always possible. 

I used to get people coming back to me with broken washing machines because they turned the washing machine on...it screamed...and stopped..but they didn't take out the transit bolts (the highlighted bolts on the back of the machine that stop the drum from moving in transit). This is the first thing in the instruction manual...REMOVE TRANSIT BOLTS.....If you don't take these out you will destroy the machine, and that would be Currys fault!!! Every item that is bought in either of those stores is covered by a MANUFACTURERS guarantee and they all have their own processes that have to be followed, so if it takes 3 weeks, that is down to the manufacturer, not Currys or PC World.

People shop at Currys and PC World because their prices are really competitive and in most cases better than their competitors. If people want to hop up on their high horses...go somewhere else.

People are on here spouting out...stating that they don't care if they pull out of Ireland, but they employ thousands of people over here and that would be tragic for the employees and their families.

I'm still in retail and sometimes it sickens me that people expect so much when they are paying €100 for a fridge and ask...'IS IT ANY GOOD'. The answer I want to give is....NO....IT'S €100, Bosch are charging €400 for the same thing. It comes back to a saying my brother once told me. Buy cheap, buy often.

Rant finished. Sorry.
2 thanks
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image