Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Boards Deals Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

BoardsDeals will no longer offer new deals

28.09.2012 13:49 #1
Hello there,

We have some news for you. From 1st October 2012, BoardsDeals will no longer be offering any new deals. Since we launched BoardsDeals on July 9th 2010, we have worked with over 650 merchants, run more than 1,000 deals and saved our members a total of €7.5 million! We are incredibly proud of BoardsDeals as a business and of the dedicated team that built it from scratch. After a lot of soul-searching and number-crunching however, we have decided to retire BoardsDeals and leave the daily deals market.

If you have any unused (in date!) BoardsDeals vouchers you can still redeem them as normal. Merchants owed money for current deals will continue to be paid as per our contracts with them. Boards.ie Limited, who own BoardsDeals.ie, are not going out of business or affected in any way by this change.

BoardsDeals will maintain the same high standard of customer service for you right up until the very last voucher has been redeemed, we just won't be running any new deals. We have posted more information for you over on BoardsDeals.ie.

Happily nobody is losing a job as a result of this change. The whole BoardsDeals team will continue to work for the Distilled Media Group on other new and exciting projects and we hope that some of these will benefit the Boards.ie community in time.

We would like to sincerely thank everyone who has helped to make BoardsDeals a success.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact us as always on deals@boards.ie.

Thanks, Gordon
53 thanks
28.09.2012 16:06 #2
Administrator
I want to say Well Done for all the hard work and care put in over the last two years. I still remember that very first offer for Koh restaurant.

Best of luck in the future to all involved.
3 thanks
28.09.2012 16:16 #3
Good to see the back of ye.
1 thank
28.09.2012 16:39 #4
Thank you to the whole Boards Deals team for the great deals you've brought us! All the best for the future!
28.09.2012 16:42 #5
ah that's a pity as your customer service was excellent with a prompt reply no matter what the question!
1 thank
28.09.2012 16:44 #6
Administrator
I just read about this on The Journal. Bit of a shocker, but the daily deals space has definitely passed saturation...

Good luck guys, glad to hear you're staying with Distilled Media.
28.09.2012 19:07 #7
Originally posted by Mr E
I just read about this on The Journal. Bit of a shocker, but the daily deals space has definitely passed saturation...

Good luck guys, glad to hear you're staying with Distilled Media.

Boards have helped me rapidly expand my business over the past year, the last three months have seen a nose dive in voucher sales for a number of sectors. In one regard I'm relieved that I won't be dealing with the monumental pain in the a&*e of booking 25-30 mobile valets a week, on the other hand, I'm quite saddened that I've had to let a member of staff go today because the voucher model has floundered and there is no more work for him.

I'd like to say a MASSIVE thank you to the team at boards, especially Niamh, Eva, and Rebecca. You guys have been stellar in terms of the support, customer service and platform you have offered me and my business.

I'm very happy to see that Distilled Media have kept all of you guys on and was in a position to do so.

All the best,
Carl
16 thanks
28.09.2012 23:03 #8
Sad to see you go, bought a good few here we did, and was by far the most customer friendly deal site. I even came on to buy one today.
29.09.2012 04:54 #9
Sorry to see you go, I was always confident of buying from BoardsDeals and often recommended the deal site to others. I loved the fact there was a feedback forum associated with the purchase.

Thanks for all the great deals you temped me to buy and the assistance and information given whenever I had an issue.
29.09.2012 10:22 #10
That's a brave decision guys and for what it's worth I do think you've called it correctly. The integrity of the group is more important.

Thanks for all the effort put in and I'm also glad to hear nobody will lose their job as a result.

Originally posted by gravity10
Boards have helped me rapidly expand my business over the past year, the last three months have seen a nose dive in voucher sales for a number of sectors. In one regard I'm relieved that I won't be dealing with the monumental pain in the a&*e of booking 25-30 mobile valets a week, on the other hand, I'm quite saddened that I've had to let a member of staff go today because the voucher model has floundered and there is no more work for him.

Ironically enough this scenario is why the deal concept is dying off IMO. Most "deals" available across all deal sites are not true deals / discounts to the extent that is advertised. If you have a business that is employing staff just to service deals customers then it's fair to say that the special deal isn't that special. A service / product that is being offered at 50% off when the customer knows that on top of that discount the service provider is also handing over a chunk of that 50% they get to the deal provider makes you as a customer question the authenticity of the deal if it appears on a regular basis across the deal sites (which most do). It's gotten to the stage that most deals are coming with over inflated original prices which may even be legitimate but are only set in the first place to provide a headline reduction.

I think customers are more and more aware of this and are either a) viewing the deal provider and vendor with mistrust or b) shopping around and finding possibly a better price available (where a vendor hasn't had to pay another 30-50% of the sale price to the deal provider)

Edit - not having a go or criticism of gravity10 to be clear - just an observation
4 thanks
29.09.2012 11:32 #11
Pageant Messiah, I always assumed part of the attraction for service providers was that a customer who bought a 'deal' might come back (paying full price), but I'm not sure how sound a business model that is.

Either way, the deals market is saturated. It has also been tainted by one or two less reputable sites which have left people out of pocket. It's unfortunate that BoardsDeals is going, as they are one that I would always feel were trustworthy.

Best of luck with the next project!
1 thank
29.09.2012 14:14 #12
Originally posted by Pageant Messiah
Ironically enough this scenario is why the deal concept is dying off IMO. Most "deals" available across all deal sites are not true deals / discounts to the extent that is advertised. If you have a business that is employing staff just to service deals customers then it's fair to say that the special deal isn't that special. A service / product that is being offered at 50% off when the customer knows that on top of that discount the service provider is also handing over a chunk of that 50% they get to the deal provider makes you as a customer question the authenticity of the deal if it appears on a regular basis across the deal sites (which most do). It's gotten to the stage that most deals are coming with over inflated original prices which may even be legitimate but are only set in the first place to provide a headline reduction.

I think customers are more and more aware of this and are either a) viewing the deal provider and vendor with mistrust or b) shopping around and finding possibly a better price available (where a vendor hasn't had to pay another 30-50% of the sale price to the deal provider)

Edit - not having a go or criticism of gravity10 to be clear - just an observation

In the current market, businesses such as mine take the work wherever we can get it. These vouchers (in terms of turnover) form about 30% of my operation, and I had never employed someone "just to service deals" as you suggest. Any one of the three of us (now two) would do a mix of vouchers and normal work.

I have NEVER inflated my prices so as to make deals appear more attractive to buyers. People bought them, as I've been told by hundreds of customers, because they are extremely good value - but I can only speak for myself.

Deals have floundered because of the utter crap that some sites are selling the last ten months - that and forced capitalism is not a very good business model. Boards have exited the market place because of a race to the bottom from other merchants in the sector. And I wholeheartedly agree with their decision.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone on Thursday to another deal site who was waxing lyrical about how they were going to be the vanguard of "quality deals" and that all I had to do, was offer even lower prices to generate more sales - that is very expensive marketing.

Quantity does not equal quality and the sheer volume of daily deals in Ireland has diluted the market to the brink of failure.
7 thanks
29.09.2012 16:15 #13
Originally posted by face1990
Pageant Messiah, I always assumed part of the attraction for service providers was that a customer who bought a 'deal' might come back (paying full price), but I'm not sure how sound a business model that is.

Either way, the deals market is saturated. It has also been tainted by one or two less reputable sites which have left people out of pocket. It's unfortunate that BoardsDeals is going, as they are one that I would always feel were trustworthy.

Best of luck with the next project!

That's how I view the deals that appear as once offs / once in a while. (I even ran one myself coming from the same logic)

It's just that when I see the same deal appearing over and over again across multiple sites the only assumption I can make is that the deal itself is profitable to run at what amounts to up to a 75% discount off normal prices. (Allowing for the fact that the price paid at 50% off or similar is then divided out between the deal vendor and retailer) If that's the case the seller / retailer would be far better off dropping their own prices by half - getting more business and taking more revenue in from each sale on top of that.
2 thanks
29.09.2012 16:23 #14
Originally posted by gravity10
In the current market, businesses such as mine take the work wherever we can get it. These vouchers (in terms of turnover) form about 30% of my operation, and I had never employed someone "just to service deals" as you suggest. Any one of the three of us (now two) would do a mix of vouchers and normal work.

I have NEVER inflated my prices so as to make deals appear more attractive to buyers. People bought them, as I've been told by hundreds of customers, because they are extremely good value - but I can only speak for myself.

Deals have floundered because of the utter crap that some sites are selling the last ten months - that and forced capitalism is not a very good business model. Boards have exited the market place because of a race to the bottom from other merchants in the sector. And I wholeheartedly agree with their decision.

I spent 30 minutes on the phone on Thursday to another deal site who was waxing lyrical about how they were going to be the vanguard of "quality deals" and that all I had to do, was offer even lower prices to generate more sales - that is very expensive marketing.

Quantity does not equal quality and the sheer volume of daily deals in Ireland has diluted the market to the brink of failure.

Just to be clear again I'm speaking in general - not specific to your own business. Apologies if you felt I was commenting about you directly.
01.10.2012 11:13 #15
Originally posted by Pageant Messiah

Agree 100% with you, a certain offer came up here a number of occasions recently, my partner is in the same business. Prices charged in her business are less than the so called deal price.

I can see deals working for service industry, they can sell additional services to you when you arrive, its a hook to get you in.

As for items that are delivered as one offs, I take them with a pinch of salt.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video