Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Formerly O2 Ireland Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9.00am - 10.00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 10.30am - 7.00pm

o2.ie webtexts/hacked account

22.02.2012 12:13 #1
Speaking of o2 and receiving texts etc, i would also advise everyone to keep an eye on their internet web text account. I discovered over the weekend a large number of web texts had been sent through my o2.ie internet account to German numbers. I rang o2 about this and after being accused of giving my password out, i was given an apology and told any texts i send between now and the end of the month will be credited to my account. Was also told account would also be monitored, which to me seems pointless as its like putting a fire extinguisher into a house that has already burnt to the ground. I advised o2 that they need to inform their customers to keep an eye on their sent web-texts, which they have yet to do!!!!
22.02.2012 13:04 #2
this has been advertised on o2.ie for a number of months at this stage.
22.02.2012 13:50 #3
Originally posted by garhjw
this has been advertised on o2.ie for a number of months at this stage.

Where exactly garhjw? All i can find is a warning Re: receiving unsolicited emails from accounts disguised as o2 accounts. The customer care rep i spoke to was also unable to direct me to the note regarding this on the o2.ie website. The o2.ie website is clearly not a very secure site. They should be upgrading the security on it rather then informing their customers who are helpless in this case that their account might be hacked.
22.02.2012 14:37 #4
Hi, once you log in there is a pop up that advises on phishing, also on the homepage there is details of this without having to log in http://www.o2online.ie/o2/
22.02.2012 14:50 #5
Originally posted by O2_Lisa
Hi, once you log in there is a pop up that advises on phishing, also on the homepage there is details of this without having to log in http://www.o2online.ie/o2/

Hi Lisa
Where exactly does it state your account my be hacked into and webtexts may be sent.
your "fraud alert" fails to explain to customers that they should keep an eye on their sent web texts.
i dread to think that my personal details, i.e. name address and date of birth etc. have also be obtained and may now be fraudulently used.
Are o2 not supposed to report this to the relevant authorities. All i got from o2 was a sheepish apology when i spoke to you about this serious matter. Once again o2 have failed their customer and have not provided any solution.

Phishing emails or Text messages, how do you recognise it?

We've discovered a small number of text messages and emails going to customers, claiming to be from O2. They're not from us. O2 will never ask customers by SMS to disclose personal information. Messages sent by O2 come from a short code number, such as 50407, 50202 or 50308, or are branded O2 Treats or O2More.

Some of the messages ask you to cancel fake orders, or enrol in anti-fraud programmes or avail of a 'limited offer opportunities'. They are part of a fraudulent practice known as ‘phishing’ or ‘smishing.’

O2 advises its customers not to respond to texts from an unknown source and to avoid clicking on web links contained within such texts.

Smishing texts are sent by an unknown third party and are aimed at tricking the recipient into revealing their personal information, including passwords, on a website set up specifically for that purpose.

As soon as O2 is made aware of smishing texts, we immediately seek to shut down access to the fraudulent websites that are linked to within the messages. This response is standard industry practise; sadly, lots of organisations are affected by phishing or smishing.'.
22.02.2012 21:44 #6
Originally posted by robertmdublin
Where exactly garhjw? All i can find is a warning Re: receiving unsolicited emails from accounts disguised as o2 accounts. The customer care rep i spoke to was also unable to direct me to the note regarding this on the o2.ie website. The o2.ie website is clearly not a very secure site. They should be upgrading the security on it rather then informing their customers who are helpless in this case that their account might be hacked.

rant rant rant

yawn

do some research before you kick off.
23.02.2012 11:02 #7
No-ones online account was 'hacked', phishing or smishing is when the 3rd party tricks you into providing your account details. This is why we've had a message up about it for a long time, the same way the banks have similar messages on their sites.
1 thank
24.02.2012 10:18 #8
Originally posted by O2_Sheena
No-ones online account was 'hacked', phishing or smishing is when the 3rd party tricks you into providing your account details. This is why we've had a message up about it for a long time, the same way the banks have similar messages on their sites.

Sheena, My online account was hacked. Webtexts were sent from my account without my consent. I did not give my login details to anyone hence my account WAS hacked. This was confirmed to me by your customer care helpdesk. Your alert does not advise anybody that this can happen to their account. i have since deactived my account by clicking the "forgot my password" and had a new one texted to me but never went through the steps of resetting my password as in my opinion and from the proof i have, the o2 website lacks any high tech security
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video