Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

eircom Representatives

19 hrs
Response Time
92%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 12pm - 5pm

eircom zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 connection loss

09.04.2011 01:20 #1
Ok i recently moved to this isp and must say im disgusted with the sh!t they give ya, i have this crap zyxel router cant play xbox live without the connection dropping off on me within every hour or so, honestly one of the most expensive isp servers yet the most unreliable typical irish huh- should just have a big banner up over our country saying "yes this is my back passage ram it up there!!!!". Us irish peeps seems to take everything lying down!

Dont even see the point of going in to great detail with my problem as i can see from looking into it many other users of this sh!t have the same problem. But basically it seems to be an issue based on the wireless operation of the router, seems ok when i have the xbox hardwired to the router via ethernet. Suppose nobodys got any ideas. Is it possible to buy a new router and use away with eircom bb??
10.04.2011 17:03 #2
Yes its possible to get your own router to use you will have to enter all the eircom bb settings manually if you get one.but once its set up it would be alot better than the zyxel them routers are seriously crap!
1 thank
11.04.2011 11:22 #3
Verified representative
Originally posted by sitja
Ok i recently moved to this isp and must say im disgusted with the sh!t they give ya, i have this crap zyxel router cant play xbox live without the connection dropping off on me within every hour or so, honestly one of the most expensive isp servers yet the most unreliable typical irish huh- should just have a big banner up over our country saying "yes this is my back passage ram it up there!!!!". Us irish peeps seems to take everything lying down!

Dont even see the point of going in to great detail with my problem as i can see from looking into it many other users of this sh!t have the same problem. But basically it seems to be an issue based on the wireless operation of the router, seems ok when i have the xbox hardwired to the router via ethernet. Suppose nobodys got any ideas. Is it possible to buy a new router and use away with eircom bb??

Hi sitja
sorry to hear you are having problems with connection.Yes it is possible to use third party modems but if you would like me to test your connection just PM me your tel. no. and I may be able to help here.
Tony
28.04.2011 01:09 #4
I'm having these too, using the Zyxel 660 v3 modem wirelessly. Its dropping connection every 10/15 mins. Have tried turning off the laptop to simplify the network. I spoke to Microsoft and they talked about the ISP giving support on Port Forwarding, other than turning the laptop on I wouldn't have the confidence to go changing things I dont understand. Is there a tutorial or instruction set on how to do this. Losing connection seems to be a fairly common problem judging by the number of message board entries I've seen.
28.04.2011 12:36 #5
Verified representative
Originally posted by dinosbar
I'm having these too, using the Zyxel 660 v3 modem wirelessly. Its dropping connection every 10/15 mins. Have tried turning off the laptop to simplify the network. I spoke to Microsoft and they talked about the ISP giving support on Port Forwarding, other than turning the laptop on I wouldn't have the confidence to go changing things I dont understand. Is there a tutorial or instruction set on how to do this. Losing connection seems to be a fairly common problem judging by the number of message board entries I've seen.

Hi dinosbar,

Here is a helpful checklist you can try,

Configure Your Modem For Online Gaming - http://bit.ly/auwOq2 A Step by Step Guide -Assistant - Video from Eircom.net Technical Support.

Can you check that and get back to me.

Thanks, Mark
28.04.2011 21:43 #6
Mark,

Thanks for the reply but the online tutorial is for a netopia modem and it doesn't mention the need for entering the password. I found that on a seperate forum and changed the firewall to low but still no joy. It seems pretty odd that one of the countries largest ISP's doesnt' have an easy step by step guide to set up the modem to work with one of the most popular gaming consoles. This isn't some obscure set up I'm trying to do, its connecting an xbox to an eircom modem. How hard does it have to be ?

Rgds
29.04.2011 12:06 #7
Verified representative
Originally posted by dinosbar
Mark,

Thanks for the reply but the online tutorial is for a netopia modem and it doesn't mention the need for entering the password. I found that on a seperate forum and changed the firewall to low but still no joy. It seems pretty odd that one of the countries largest ISP's doesnt' have an easy step by step guide to set up the modem to work with one of the most popular gaming consoles. This isn't some obscure set up I'm trying to do, its connecting an xbox to an eircom modem. How hard does it have to be ?

Rgds

Hi dinosbar,

Thanks again for contacting eircom on Boards.

If you need to configure your firewall, using the Zyxel router, the following URL may be helpful. The Netopia Modem is roughly the same and lowering the firewall is readily easy to do on both modem types.

http://bit.ly/ip2OlL - Set up Zyxel Modem

Just open your browser on : http://192/168.1.254.
If asked to log in to the modem type : 'broadband1'
Look on the menu list and you'll navigate to the 'firewall' ;
and simply set this to low.

Unfortunately, it's not a case that eircom don't have website dedicated to XBox, we do. However, we are obliged to only support eircom products :

broadbandsupport.eircom.net/xbox.htm - XBox Setup with eircom

That said, we don't have a licence, nor do we have the necessary data information sources to support third party Games Vendors.

Eircom Technical Support have advised the ONLY thing that is required for ALL 3rd party Games' Console Setup, is simply lower the firewall on the router. This has the effect of opening the necessary ports for these 3rd party vendors and their online games.

If you are having any problems with your Game Console after lowering the firewall on the router, then you must contact your Games Console Manufacturer /Vendor Support.

We've included XBox's Support Site and contact phone number on our dedicated XBox website above.

Let me know if you have any problems lowering your firewall on your eircom modem. We can generally do this remotely from here if you're unable to complete this yourself.

All the best,
Ant
15.05.2011 19:23 #8
ok i have managed to acquire a different eircom router (a netopia 3347) to my understanding this is a very old router, YET this picks wireless throughout the house no problem, so either zyxel are crap or i was unlucky to recieve a faulty one?? What i would like to know now is...... is the netopia router i am now using capable of accepting the speeds i am paying for??? I am on 8mb and to my knowledge being upgraded to 15mb??
16.05.2011 11:41 #9
Verified representative
ok i have managed to acquire a different eircom router (a netopia 3347) to my understanding this is a very old router, YET this picks wireless throughout the house no problem, so either zyxel are crap or i was unlucky to recieve a faulty one?? What i would like to know now is...... is the netopia router i am now using capable of accepting the speeds i am paying for??? I am on 8mb and to my knowledge being upgraded to 15mb??

Hi sitja,

Thanks for contacting eircom on Boards.

There should be no problem using the netopia 3347. You may want to ensure the firmware is up to date. Currently, the latest FW version is 7.8.

As you say it is probably an older momed. Most electrical equipment should be really watched after 5 years. You are more than welcome to use your own modem /router. Just ensure you use the correct eircom settings, advised below :

Please let me know if I can help further.
Kind regards,
Ant
16.05.2011 11:59 #10

If you are playing on wireless. Add "Contra EoinD" on xbox live and I will help you through it ok ?
16.05.2011 12:04 #11
Just at the Eircom lads. One issue with using WPA-PSK encryption is that it times out every hour or so and disconnects the user offline from Xbox , whereas a PC wouldn't notice this.

What I reccommend is disabling the encryption and hiding the broadcast of your SSID.

But change the SSID so noone can auto connect to it.

Or change your wireless password to WEP which can be cracked though.
14.06.2011 00:04 #12
I recently recieved this router throught the post

. Set it up today but every hour or so it diconnects/reconnects. This is fine if I'm surfing the interweb, but I use my laptop for poker and every time it disconnects, it can cost me a few quid.

I'm gonna try to turn off the firewall and see if that helps.....

EDIT: Nope - didn't work - still disconnecting/reconnecting
Last edited by newbie2: 14.06.2011 at 00:54.
14.06.2011 09:39 #13
Originally posted by newbie2

. Set it up today but every hour or so it diconnects/reconnects. This is fine if I'm surfing the interweb, but I use my laptop for poker and every time it disconnects, it can cost me a few quid.

Hi Newbie,

See my post here (I feel your pain!)
http://www.boards.ie/v...ead.php?t=2056297253
1 thank
14.06.2011 11:28 #14
Verified representative
Originally posted by newbie2

Hi newbie2,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.ie

Can you PM your phone number and I can check this for you.

Kind regards,
Ant
1 thank
15.06.2011 02:25 #15
PM sent.

Today I've changed the DHCP lease time from 3600 seconds (1 hour) to 84000 seconds (24 hours). I have't had time to test it yet though.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video