Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 10am - 2pm

Flash firmware on Vodafone branded Huawei HG556a

27.02.2012 18:37 #451
Originally posted by yangzone
Definite chance of downgrade if you go to Vodafone. It happened to me in similar situation (5.1 - 2.8 MBit downgrade)

Thanks a mill, that's all I needed to know. Was that a downgrade that stayed even when using the old Eircom router?
28.02.2012 00:50 #452
It was the way they decided to analyze the line and it's capability. They decided it was a 3MBit line and that was that.
Nothing to do with router (I have a few). Just about any router will work. Some you have to attach an ethernet cable to to set up, some (newer) you just have to enter the wireless password on the back of the router to connect.
08.03.2012 02:51 #453
Hi can you help me with a interference problem with my phone line (landline) when I plug in my hg556a it like a ticking sound?
08.03.2012 10:12 #454
I've had 2 of these routers that would not play nice with phones. I could either have a broadband connection or a phone connection (dial tone), not both together. So it may be a bad router. On my fourth router and it's fine for now.
Do you have the latest firmware on it? It's called V100R001C08B027.
(Btw, is the phone plugged in the back of the router? If so, you should not have a filter on the line as it's built in to the router. If the phone is in a separate socket it should have a filter there at the socket.)
22.03.2012 13:50 #455
Originally posted by herra
I've read this entire thread, including many people having probs in Spain.

I'm an ex-pat in Spain and seem to be having similar connection probs with my new HG556a.

Version: V100R001C10B061SP01

Many of the solutions/suggestions on here no longer work or have been superseded.

I can't find a password to enter (IE or ES)

I can't login as advanced advanced to donlaod an HTM and search for a password.

I'm not sure what ROM would be suitable for me.

Telnet (putty on my Win 7) doesn't work either.

Can some kind soul suggest the best way, latest ROM, latest password, best options to change/disable/enable to improve my connections and dropouts etc.

Many thanks

I have only just found this website which is why my reply is so late. I am having similar problems. Try the password of VF-EShg556 if you can can into your router with the admin user name. If you can't do that and can get in only with the username vodafone, try the password "vodafone"
06.04.2012 23:29 #456
Originally posted by Felix_z
Hi yangzone,
Yes, the modem is connected to pc through an ethernet cable. I can ping 192.168.1.1 with telnet. But browser can't open it - connecting, connecting... I lost wi-fi modem connection to tablets and tv also.
Thanks

Clear your cookies in Firefox/IE and you'll be able to reconnect to the router via your browser. I had the same issue earlier today and clearing my cookies solved the problem. Initially I had to try safari, which I seldom use, and it connected no problem. Went back to Firefox, cleared cookies etc, and it worked fine.
1 thank
19.06.2012 12:47 #457
I use one of these HG556a routers with a 3G broadband dongle for internet access. I notice on the logs, that the router makes small connections every hour or so (e.g. of 1-6 KB), including overnight when no PCs are powered on.

It looks at though the router is doing a regular 'phone home'. Is there a means of disabling this in the settings?

TIA!
30.07.2012 23:41 #458
Originally posted by arden
ok,

Tried setting the OperSelect to 27203 for Meteor, added it also to the list and it still failed.

So I found this post, about getting it to work in linux (http://jasonroe.me/blo...d-working-on-ubuntu/) so I searched for the APN and set it to broadband.mymeteor.ie (for meteor) and removed the username and passwoerd, also I changed the username/password for the ppp_conId1 settigns, as they might be somewhat related to it via ProName="123".

Tested and it's working ;)

Note, I also changed all the default passwords, and disabled all other settigns that looked like vodafone reset configure or anything like that..

I'm sure it will work for other providers once you get the APN settigns ;)

Only draw back is having to log into the router and enter the pin again for the usb stick, then press connect, anyone know if the usb dongle pin cab be saved in the settings?

that worked like a charm, I just downloaded the backupsettings.conf, edited it as above in a text editor, and then "updated" using the altered backupsettings.conf file. whole thing took about 5 minutes and here I am online again. Arden, I tip my hat to you.
27.12.2012 21:19 #459
Originally posted by diabollix

that worked like a charm, I just downloaded the backupsettings.conf, edited it as above in a text editor, and then "updated" using the altered backupsettings.conf file. whole thing took about 5 minutes and here I am online again. Arden, I tip my hat to you.

Hey lads,
Just reading this now (have not read all 39 pages) but I have an O2 modem I want to use with this router. Do I need to flash some sort of generic firmware to it first?

Thanks a million,
M
26.02.2013 19:47 #460
Originally posted by diabollix

hi diabollix,
ive managed to play around with the 556a, and got my emobile (meteor) heuwei e3131 stick to work in it. Problem is, it disconnects after approx an hour and a half / two hours and i have to restart the modem and go through the log-in and connect again. I was looking at the "Reauth timeout" values in <Hspacfg>, example below. but dont know if this is right, or what would i change??
Thanks in advance,
Brian.

wpakey="GLPAUFRUARPKYW"  Preauthentication="off" ReauthTimeout="36000" wpa="aes" tr69cBeaconType="Basic" tr69cBasicEncryptionModes="None" tr69cBasicAuthenticationMode="None" tr69cWPAEncryptionModes="WEPEncryption" tr69cWPAAuthenticationMode="PSKAuthentication" tr69cIEEE11iEncryptionModes="AESEncryption" tr69cIEEE11iAuthenticationMode="PSKAuthentication"/>
<wlMssidEntry enblSsId="0" ssId="Vodafone_77F6-Guest" hide="0" apIsolation="off" fltMacMode="disabled" disableWme="off" MaxAssoc = "32"  wsc_mode="disabled"  wsc_config_state="1"  authMode="psk2mix" radiusServerIP="0.0.0.0" radiusServerPort="1812" radiusServerKey="" wep="disabled" auth="0" keyBit="128-bit" key64_1="" key64_2="" key64_3="" key64_4="" key64Index="1" key128_1=""  key128_2=""  key128_3=""  key128_4=""  key128Index="1" wpaRekey="0" wpakey="GLPAUFRUARPKYW"  Preauthentication="off" ReauthTimeout="36000"
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video