Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Gamesnash.ie Representatives

N/A
Response Time
N/A
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Ghostbusters..

30.05.2009 14:33 #1
Registered User
When's it going to be up for pre-order Pat?
30.05.2009 15:18 #2
Verified representative
With all the confusion about Sony taking over the publishing and making it a PS3 exclusive we've still not had confirmation of cost prices / RRP's. Chances are though it's going to be a €69.99 RRP here like the rest of the big Sony releases. Hoping to have clarifcation on Tuesday.
30.05.2009 15:34 #3
Registered User
thanks pat

listed as 45.99 on cdwow.ie so if ye guys end up around that mark or 50quid or so I'll go with ye
30.05.2009 15:47 #4
Verified representative
If Sony set a €69.99 price I can say honestly and openly there's not a hope in hell of us getting it out close to €50.00 for a pre order :( If you put the VAT on the CD Wow price that would make it around €55.00

We've had a number of titles this year from Sony such as Killzone 2 and Infamous that were RRP'd at €69.99 here and £49.99 sterling which for Killzone was the equivilent of €52.00 and is about €57.00 now even with the Sterling currency coming back.

Our problem is that we are tied to the Irish wholesale price structure based on the final RRP of €69.99 and which means for those titles we have to go out at €62.00 just to break even on it.

It's why we did not carry either of the above titles for general pre order because we were going to be too uncompetitive and instead sourced stock from alternative sources that allowed us to retail them a lot cheaper a couple of days after release.

We might end up having to do the same with Ghostbusters tbh.
31.05.2009 00:36 #5
Originally posted by Roar
thanks pat

listed as 45.99 on cdwow.ie so if ye guys end up around that mark or 50quid or so I'll go with ye


Techinically you should be paying VAT on that when you import it. I think :confused:
31.05.2009 10:37 #6
Verified representative
You're right but it's dependent on customs stopping the package. The majority of packages in the past weren't stopped and assessed but there appears to be a lot more being stopped in the past few months. There's less coming in to the country these days so there's more chance of being stopped and on top of that the govt are crying out for money so customs appear to be more encouraged to stop packages.

If your package is stopped you can be charged the vat, customs duty ( seperate duty on packages valued above €100 on Irish sale prices ) and depending on the carrier an administration charge too so a package stopped from CD Wow could end up with a €20.00 bill upon delivery.

Again though most packages are getting through unstopped so for most people they're happy to take the gamble.
31.05.2009 18:09 #7
Originally posted by Gamesnash.ie (Pat)
You're right but it's dependent on customs stopping the package. The majority of packages in the past weren't stopped and assessed but there appears to be a lot more being stopped in the past few months. There's less coming in to the country these days so there's more chance of being stopped and on top of that the govt are crying out for money so customs appear to be more encouraged to stop packages.

If your package is stopped you can be charged the vat, customs duty ( seperate duty on packages valued above €100 on Irish sale prices ) and depending on the carrier an administration charge too so a package stopped from CD Wow could end up with a €20.00 bill upon delivery.

Again though most packages are getting through unstopped so for most people they're happy to take the gamble.



You have to appreciate the honesty, I think the only thing that holds me back these days from buying games as MUCH as I used to is the lack of a few shillings, but, generally I tend to go with you guys, even if it means loosing a tenner sometimes
31.05.2009 22:07 #8
Registered User
Originally posted by Gamesnash.ie (Pat)
You're right but it's dependent on customs stopping the package. The majority of packages in the past weren't stopped and assessed but there appears to be a lot more being stopped in the past few months. There's less coming in to the country these days so there's more chance of being stopped and on top of that the govt are crying out for money so customs appear to be more encouraged to stop packages.

If your package is stopped you can be charged the vat, customs duty ( seperate duty on packages valued above €100 on Irish sale prices ) and depending on the carrier an administration charge too so a package stopped from CD Wow could end up with a €20.00 bill upon delivery.

Again though most packages are getting through unstopped so for most people they're happy to take the gamble.


Just for the sake of accuracy:

If you order something from cdwow over the €22 VAT limit, they send it to a distribution centre in Switzerland first, and pay the European VAT there.

After that they can legally ship it anywhere in Europe without paying VAT again.
31.05.2009 23:59 #9
Originally posted by alastair_doom
Just for the sake of accuracy:

If you order something from cdwow over the €22 VAT limit, they send it to a distribution centre in Switzerland first, and pay the European VAT there.

After that they can legally ship it anywhere in Europe without paying VAT again.


But Switzerland aren't in the EU, anything coming from there is liable to VAT, similar to items coming Jersey.
01.06.2009 00:32 #10
Registered User
Originally posted by vestanpance
But Switzerland aren't in the EU, anything coming from there is liable to VAT, similar to items coming Jersey.


Ok they arent a member of the EU, but arent they a member of the European Free Trade Association? Which makes them part of the EU single market?

Disclaimer: international export law isnt my strong point, but I'm sure they're routing through Switzerland for some reason.
01.06.2009 11:09 #11
Verified representative
To the best of my personal knowledge ( again not a tax expert ) ...

Goods imported to Ireland from any non EU country including Switzerland are liable to customs duty and vat etc.

My personal understanding of the reason for shipping to Switzerland is twofold. There are certain agreements in place between Switzerland and the EU which allows for goods to pass through there unrestricted if destined for an EU state. ( because Switzerland is surrounded by EU countries trucks travelling across it would have a lot of hassle or have to drive around it )

This means that a non EU company can send parcels into Switzerland for onward dispatch and not be obliged to pay and charge the Swiss or applicable EU vat rate. It appears cheaper for a company like CD wow to ship in bulk from the US to Switzerland and then send individual packages from Switzerland to EU countries rather than sending individual packages from the states. ( not saying that all CD wow purchases originate from the states but I know a lof of their games are sent as region free US versions ) When the package arrives at the destination country it is treated as being from outside the eu and can be subject to vat, import duty etc.

Again thats my slightly informed personal opinion and is open to correction from any tax experts out there. :)
01.06.2009 18:04 #12
Registered User
Emailed cdwow customer service to get a definitive answer, and it looks like I was very in the wrong.

Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail.
Please be informed that we do not charge for custom worldwide.
Please note that any customs or taxes charged is completely beyond our control.

However, if you can collect the items and pay the relevant duty, we will, as a goodwill gesture refund the fee you paid by evoucher, once you have sent us proof of the charges and the Order Number.

If you have any further queries please do let us know.


Looks like you can indeed get stung for VAT from the wow.
01.06.2009 18:11 #13
Verified representative
Thanks for posting that update. :)
01.06.2009 23:47 #14
It's all complicated but can simplified into :
Shipped from inside the EU VAT is already paid
Shipped from outside the EU no VAT is paid and if it's stopped you are liable for the VAT payment because it is you importing it.

The one exception that I can think of is the Channel Islands/UK situation. The UK is a part of the EU but the Channel Islands are not. I think the internet shops that are using the VAT loop hole there have an agreement with the UK Revenue.

There's some more info in some of the other "Biz" forums.
01.06.2009 23:56 #15
Originally posted by Alan Rouge
It's all complicated but can simplified into :
Shipped from inside the EU VAT is already paid
Shipped from outside the EU no VAT is paid and if it's stopped you are liable for the VAT payment because it is you importing it.

The one exception that I can think of is the Channel Islands/UK situation. The UK is a part of the EU but the Channel Islands are not. I think the internet shops that are using the VAT loop hole there have an agreement with the UK Revenue.

There's some more info in some of the other "Biz" forums.


So eh....*ahem*....Ghostbusters yea....
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video
Remove Formatting
View source
Please Log In or Sign Up to join the discussion