Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

richersounds.ie Representatives

9 hrs
Response Time
99%
Response Rate

We're online:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

a/v reciever and speakers

17.07.2008 13:29 #1
I have the following devices:
  • Sony Bravia 50" (1080i)
  • PS3 (HDMI)
  • Xbox360 (Component)
  • PS2 (Component and/or Optical)
  • SkyHD (HDMI)
  • HTPC (HDMI and/or Optical)

I would like to have a nice surround sound system in place, but am rather unsure of what to look for. I've been mainly looking at the Onkyo 605 or 606 - im not really sure of the difference besides the extra HDMI port.

The wow factor for me would be something to make either this or this sound fantastic. I miss a good subwoofer more than I thought.

I had set my budget at 1,000Eur but I would conservatively go as high as 1500Eur for the entire package - speakers, amp, cables etc. thats pretty much as far as I want to go at this stage in the game.

As far as speakers go, Im completely open to suggestions - and I dont have any problems with placement; so floor standers, wall hangers, whatever works is good.

the room is about 12ft by 12ft, wood floor w/ rug. Im not sure if that makes any difference but it might regarding whether 5.1 or 7.1 would be best.

so, any ideas?
18.07.2008 16:26 #2
Im in the same boat myself. As regards amps the onkyo 606 seems to get rave reviews just about everywhere but it looks like crap to me. Speakers are very hard to choose it seems as what sounds good to one person may sound poor to another. The Onkyos are not generally regarded as being good musically compaired to Yamaha or Denon. The best advice Ive gotten recommends spending most on a good set of fronts....the rears and centre being of lesser importance.
Im leaning towards travelling up to belfast and having a good listen to different combos and then making my own choice from whats on offer.
18.07.2008 16:40 #3
Originally posted by rafared
Im in the same boat myself. As regards amps the onkyo 606 seems to get rave reviews just about everywhere but it looks like crap to me. Speakers are very hard to choose it seems as what sounds good to one person may sound poor to another. The Onkyos are not generally regarded as being good musically compaired to Yamaha or Denon. The best advice Ive gotten recommends spending most on a good set of fronts....the rears and centre being of lesser importance.
Im leaning towards travelling up to belfast and having a good listen to different combos and then making my own choice from whats on offer.

thats not a bad idea...

right now Im thinking of these as for speakers:

KEF KHT 2005.2 5.1 Speakerset Silver
Proson Libra 1004 Black Oak Speakerset

The Onkyos are not generally regarded as being good musically compaired to Yamaha or Denon
I would have thought that the speakers had more impact than the amp
18.07.2008 17:56 #4
Originally posted by SolarNexus
thats not a bad idea...

right now Im thinking of these as for speakers:

KEF KHT 2005.2 5.1 Speakerset Silver
Proson Libra 1004 Black Oak Speakerset

I would have thought that the speakers had more impact than the amp

KEF make good speakers and any review of their gear always seems to score well. Im not keen on that look but ive no doubt they would sound good.
Ive never heard of proson tbh so I cant comment there.
There seems to be agreement from what ive read that if you intend to listen to music a lot then a good set of fronts is more important whereas if movies is the main emphasis then a set of sats like the KEFs is the way to go.
I think im gonna buy something along the lines of this...
http://www.superfi.co.....cfm/Product_ID/4355

These two also get great reviews and come highly recommended from what ive read....http://www.superfi.co.....cfm/Product_ID/4136

http://www.superfi.co.....cfm/Product_ID/2479

The Quads were £1000 sterling at one time and the subwoofer alone is supposed to be worth £500. Only available in that colour which doesnt suit me but if it did I would buy them. That site delivers to Ireland for £30.
18.07.2008 18:27 #5
Well, for me music is the deal breaker - im not bothered too much about movies in surround.

Im beginning to wonder if buying all the speakers seperate might be better...

I dont know what the whole fascination is with the wood panelling. these are much more my style:

http://www.superfi.co.....cfm/Product_ID/3512
18.07.2008 20:39 #6
Well, for me music is the deal breaker - im not bothered too much about movies in surround.

Im beginning to wonder if buying all the speakers seperate might be better...

I dont know what the whole fascination is with the wood panelling. these are much more my style:

http://www.superfi.co.....cfm/Product_ID/3512

Totally agree with you about the wood panelling. It has to be black for me. I asked a few of the real speaker heads on AVforums about speakers and they almost all said the same thing......buy the best quality fronts you can afford. Then add cheap rears and centre ect at the same time or wait til funds allow you to buy better quality. They also all said TRY before you BUY, and its the way Im thinking myself. As regards amps most of the music heads seem to buy Denon or Yamaha. I know sony have a new range of amps on the way with 5 hdmi inputs soon as well.
18.07.2008 21:50 #7
Totally agree with you about the wood panelling. It has to be black for me. I asked a few of the real speaker heads on AVforums about speakers and they almost all said the same thing......buy the best quality fronts you can afford. Then add cheap rears and centre ect at the same time or wait til funds allow you to buy better quality. They also all said TRY before you BUY, and its the way Im thinking myself. As regards amps most of the music heads seem to buy Denon or Yamaha. I know sony have a new range of amps on the way with 5 hdmi inputs soon as well.

For home cinema stuff, its also recommended to get your center speaker to match the fronts. Good floorstanders make a better setup when listening to music over 5.1 movie stuff.
As for 5.1 over 7.1, I think its a personal thing. I've tried both and really never noticed much of a difference. Very few dvd's carry 7.1 anyways, so probably depends on wether you can accomodate another 2 speakers and the extra cabling :)
18.07.2008 22:38 #8
Originally posted by syboit
For home cinema stuff, its also recommended to get your center speaker to match the fronts. Good floorstanders make a better setup when listening to music over 5.1 movie stuff.
As for 5.1 over 7.1, I think its a personal thing. I've tried both and really never noticed much of a difference. Very few dvd's carry 7.1 anyways, so probably depends on wether you can accomodate another 2 speakers and the extra cabling :)

Sounds good - 7.1 always seems overkill for me anyways. Its a good thing floorstanders are better for music - I very much prefer the look of them to pokey sattelites.

Seems to me the ideal choice - for me anyway, is to get two floor standing fronts, a center and a good subwoofer; and if possible extra floor units for the rear.

I think I'll be going up to richersounds on Sunday to get a demo..

Edit:
these also look fab: http://www.richersound...00&productid=573
19.07.2008 09:34 #9
Sounds good - 7.1 always seems overkill for me anyways. Its a good thing floorstanders are better for music - I very much prefer the look of them to pokey sattelites.

Seems to me the ideal choice - for me anyway, is to get two floor standing fronts, a center and a good subwoofer; and if possible extra floor units for the rear.

I think I'll be going up to richersounds on Sunday to get a demo..

Edit:
these also look fab: http://www.richersound...00&productid=573

I love the look of those but they're fairly expensive. That also seems to be 4 bookshelf speakers with a centre and rear so you would need speaker stands as well.
19.07.2008 10:34 #10
19.07.2008 20:31 #11
that looks great, but im sure it'd cost an arm and a leg. Cant find anywhere to buy that atm tho to check.

Heres what Im currently thinking:

Mordaunt Short ALUMNI SYSTEM Black (5.1 speaker package)

combined with

Mordaunt Short 906i Black (Per pair)

That way your covering lots of bases, music/cinema and effectively have a 7.1 system.
20.07.2008 19:41 #12
that looks great, but im sure it'd cost an arm and a leg. Cant find anywhere to buy that atm tho to check.

Heres what Im currently thinking:

Mordaunt Short ALUMNI SYSTEM Black (5.1 speaker package)

combined with

Mordaunt Short 906i Black (Per pair)

That way your covering lots of bases, music/cinema and effectively have a 7.1 system.

Clever thinking. I might just go that way myself. A good quality amp with that and you would be sorted. Any thoughts on what Amp your thinking of?
20.07.2008 20:35 #13
Clever thinking. I might just go that way myself. A good quality amp with that and you would be sorted. Any thoughts on what Amp your thinking of?

Just came back from Harvey Normans having put a deposit on this lot:

Onkyo TX-SRX606

Jamo S506HCS6

All came in at about 1700eur.

copy/pasted from another post of mine :p
20.07.2008 21:19 #14
Just came back from Harvey Normans having put a deposit on this lot:

Onkyo TX-SRX606

Jamo S506HCS6

All came in at about 1700eur.

copy/pasted from another post of mine :p

Congrats mate. Looks like a nice bit of kit. Did u get a Demo of the Amp and speakers together?
Another question....did the price include all the speaker cables, bananna pluge ect?
20.07.2008 23:37 #15
Congrats mate. Looks like a nice bit of kit. Did u get a Demo of the Amp and speakers together?
Another question....did the price include all the speaker cables, bananna pluge ect?

Yes and no... I was given a demo of the model below it; they didnt have that one in stock in black; long story short I got a free upgrade to the newer model :D

As for connections - I was promised that all I would need was included in the package; harvey normans take a package and add another few speakers to make a 5.1 package - and promised me everything I needed was included (it came with the onkyo as part of the package). So I would expect so, if not, I'll be sure to be poking them about it soon.

I did notice a slight abnormality on the receipt though... They said something about it costing 1150 for the speaker pacakge when it comes out (or something like that) and then did some fiddly stuff to make it come out at 1700 - I'm going to be sure to ask them what the deal with that is before I pay the rest out as the Onkyo is registered at 700eur when I was told in store it would be 499eur.
Reply to thread
Bold
Italic
Underline
Strikethrough
Align left
Center
Align right
Bullet list
Insert an image
Insert an emoticon
Insert a YouTube video