Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fate of the Furious

• 09-10-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭

With the money 7 made, obviously 8 was happening despite Paul Walker's death during filming of 7, I wonder will Brian be killed in this one?

Vin Diesel isn't directing, F. Gary Gray confirmed

Jason Statham and Dwayne The Rock Johnson also back

Comments

*sigh*

Will Vin Diesel be returning? I'll be super surprised if he is, since F&F was tied so much to himself and Walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another trilogy to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Love it or hate it everyone will queue to see it..myself included... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Vin confirmed this would be happening in some interview last year so I have no doubt he will be starring. I think they finished Brians story well, as well as they could in FF7 so I wouldn't touch that topic if I was them. The whole thing is so tied up in the relationship between Vin and Paul though Im not sure who is going to step up in his place.

Hopefully they get Dwayne Johnson back too

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Haven't they committed to 9 as well? They won't say much about Brian I imagine, maybe only in passing. Assume that leaves Mia out of any future films too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

toadfly wrote: »
    Haven't they committed to 9 as well?
    I think the plan is:

Fast 8 (2017)
    Furious Nine (2019)
    Fast & Furious X (2021) - 20th Anniversary of the original film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    With the money 7 made, obviously 8 was happening despite Paul Walker's death during filming of 7, I wonder will Brian be killed in this one?

Vin Diesel isn't directing, F. Gary Gray confirmed

Jason Statham and Dwayne The Rock Johnson also back

Did you not see the end of F7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Did you not see the end of F7 ?

Yes I did, but Brian would always come and help Dom and the team out so how will his absence be explained from this next new vendetta

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Yes I did, but Brian would always come and help Dom and the team out so how will his absence be explained from this next new vendetta

I'm fairly sure they said they retired his character so my guess is he won't be mentioned again along with Mia.

Vin Diesel had up on his Facebook page a couple of weeks back that he wanted to take the franchise back in the street racer direction which I wouldn't be for at all. The films are in their own level of stupid but I really have enjoyed the last couple of them.

I watched 1 to figure out who was who, can't say I loved it, 2,3 or 4 I don't really remember, 3 in particular was awful though I think.

Really enjoyed 5, liked 6 and thought 7 was good, and a fitting tribute to one of the main characters who lost his life during the making.....

If they went back to the direction of the first couple I would have no interest whatsoever.

The ridiculousness of the films is their appeal

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I thought 7 was fairly bad to be honest. Five was a brilliantly stupid action film with the addition of Dwayne Johnson being something of a godsend to the franchise; 6 was very much its sequel, more of everything, didn't hold together as well.
    7 was just a mess though, everything was overbloated to the point that I couldn't invest in any of it and the ridiculous action sequences didn't hold achieve the same kind of visceral suspense that something like
    the cars trying to pull down the plane on that ridiculous runway
    in 6 did. My brain is utterly incapable of investing in a car jumping between
    towers in Dubai
    . The number of cast members has also gotten a bit out of hand, Statham hardly had a chance to add anything to it all.

Also, I'm only going on this alone, but Ronda Rousey is an absolutely terrible actor, isn't she?

She was disgustingly bad alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Scott Eastwood has joined the cast. Supposedly playing a fed who works for Kurt Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

She was disgustingly bad alright

She's like a female version of the early Dolph Lundgren, more than able for the physical parts of an action movie but totally lacking in the charm department unlike Arnie and Sly who had both.

Helen Mirren wants in too, could see her as matriarch mama Shaw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Helen Mirren wants in too, could see her as matriarch mama Shaw

And she is in

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/15/helen-mirren-fast-furious-8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Some of the cars featured in F8;

Clu_ZKAXIAIF_xl.jpg:large

CluxpiEXEAEV5tu.jpg:large

ClvFGfaWMAAeSAp.jpg:large

Clva35dUkAElCrH.jpg:large

ClviEXEWMAA6w9i.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Love the name for the 8th film - official trailer dropping on Sunday, but this trailer for the trailer (why is that a thing now?) is actually really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

So the trailer just dropped for the 8th instalment into the Fast and Furious franchise, couldn't find a thread for the new movie so here we are.

I've never been a big fan of the movies past the first couple but to me this looks particularly bad, not even in a fun way, just Transformers bad.

People love this stuff though, and it will most certainly bring in enough money to fund a couple more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I just can't understand the appeal of this franchise; and I don't mean in some haughty "I'm too good for this" sorta way, or that I don't appreciate the whole so-bad-it's-good sensibility (certainly as someone who 'enjoyed' Jupiter Ascending that can't be claimed) - the films are about as boneheaded as the Transformers franchise yet they seem to get more of a pass than those over-saturated Baygasms.

It's weird, even if I don't have an interest in something, I can usually appreciate the appeal & why people might love the thing; not the above though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

So couldn't find a thread for the new movie so here we are.
    On the second page of the film forum...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057506123
    pixelburp wrote:
    It's weird, even if I don't have an interest in something, I can usually appreciate the appeal & why people might love the thing; not the above though
    It's got Vin Diesel and The Rock saying and doing stupid things, with cars and explosions. I'd rather watch Nicolas Cage films for a "so-bad-it's-good" fix, but it's not hard to understand the appeal of this series at all. The world keeps evolving into Idiocracy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think they fall into the "so bad it's good" category at all. 1 - 4 are rubbish, 5 is great and 6 was grand but not as good as 5 (not seen 7).

• Registered Users Posts: 44,960 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

THAT LOOKS AMAZING.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Actually looking forward to this ,but the story has taken a bit of left turn ,
    From outlaw Street racers to secret government agencies fighting international criminals

It's a pure large Coke and popcorn movie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,191 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    I just can't understand the appeal of this franchise; and I don't mean in some haughty "I'm too good for this" sorta way, or that I don't appreciate the whole so-bad-it's-good sensibility (certainly as someone who 'enjoyed' Jupiter Ascending that can't be claimed) - the films are about as boneheaded as the Transformers franchise yet they seem to get more of a pass than those over-saturated Baygasms.

It's weird, even if I don't have an interest in something, I can usually appreciate the appeal & why people might love the thing; not the above though :)

The action is great, some of the characters are funny and so much of it is just so cheesy (both in the "story" of the characters and also the general action/comedy/characters) that once you accept that, it doesn't bother you.

The F&F movies are just fun. Stupid, dumb, spectacular, funny fun.

Transformers isn't fun. It takes itself too seriously but also tries to be funny. The characters aren't nearly as good or funny. The action is bland and boring. To me, it's a completely different mix which doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree fully with Penn. To dismiss them as movies for idiots, which is the implication in some of the posts above, is fairly narrow minded. They're not exactly clever, but the last few F&F movies have delivered charismatic, silly fun by the bucketload and I've really enjoyed them.

Transformers on the other side, to my mind, is just a lazy, bloated and generic CGI fest.

Advertisement