Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Installation problems with installing VFR photo Scenery Ireland West.

Options
  • 31-05-2016 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

I just did a reinstall of Windows 7 and FSX. As I add back my scenery I'm finding that my VFR photo scenery Vol.10 (Ireland West) won't install completely. I'm getting an error message (extract failed with error 23) and I'm left with a large strip of missing scenery down the entire centre of Ireland with only water textures visible.

Thinking my disks were damaged, I bought another set on eBay, in immaculate condition, but the same error is thrown up with an incomplete installation resulting..

Has anyone got any ideas or possible solutions? Seems to be a problem with corrupted files or maybe the installer. The first time I installed this scenery, a few years back, there were no issues.

I've tried copying the disks contents to an external drive, a folder on my gaming pc, and running the installer from these locations but the install still gives error 23 with disk 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PoppetAvsim

Hello tippman,

You say you have done a fresh install of windows 7 and FSX, Apart from the problem you are having is your PC and FSX working ok??

==================

When i'm installing Software I follow the Triple A Rule, Anti virus Software, User Account Control, Administrator.

Are you running your PC as administrator? If not, you should be.

Where have you got FSX Installed? Do you have the proper folder permisions?

Have you disabled your "uac" User Account Control? Type uac into your windows search bar, drag down to Never notify, Click Ok.

Have you Disabled your Anti Virus Software from Scanning the Disk Drive when Installing?

When your installing software from a known and trusted source you should disable your Anti Virus Software completely and then turn it back on when your install has completed.

Hello tippman,

You say you have done a fresh install of windows 7 and FSX, Apart from the problem you are having is your PC and FSX working ok??

==================

When i'm installing Software I follow the Triple A Rule, Anti virus Software, User Account Control, Administrator.

Are you running your PC as administrator? If not, you should be.

Where have you got FSX Installed? Do you have the proper folder permisions?

Have you disabled your "uac" User Account Control? Type uac into your windows search bar, drag down to Never notify, Click Ok.

Have you Disabled your Anti Virus Software from Scanning the Disk Drive when Installing?

When your installing software from a known and trusted source you should disable your Anti Virus Software completely and then turn it back on when your install has completed.

====================

Where are you Installing the Scenery? Inside or outside of the Core FSX folder?

h

Sorry, I don't know what happened there, my post was doubled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

fresh instal of FSX in drive c as recommended by most savvy simmers. UAC disabled. Anti virus disabled for instal, Having run the installer now several times I have all the scenery showing except for an area in the N.Cork area.

I have installed Ireland East without problems, just West is the trouble.
    This morning I copied all three disks to a folder on the desktop, then ran the installer and as I said, most of the West scenery is present but for a large square missing in the N.Cork region. Same error though: "extract failed with error 23".

Edit.... forgot to say, my pc is running fine as is FSX. Other scenery, Eiresim airports added with no issues. DX10 is turned on.

• Advertisement

After a few installation attempts, I have managed to get all Ireland West to show up except for the area shown below. First attempt had the blue area stetch all the way to the Ulster border, same width all the way.

FSX is installed in C:\Flightsim X and the scenery is in C:\Volume 10.

13305092_10207583342433913_7148713670208901777_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Tippman,
    Just out of interest,
    what are you running FSX or FSX:SE?
    Are you running on a desktop or a laptop(form what I can gather its a Desktop. If your running it on a desktop do you have multiple drives what are the capacities?
    Are the drives partitioned?
    The best idea is to compartmentalize the software on your machine as much as possible.
    Personally I would avoid (like the proverbial plague) anything other then the OS on the C: drive(I would suggest a 120-150GB, to be nice, and have enough room to allow windows use for writing to:D). It also makes it easier to Backup/Ghost, and thus restore without loosing absolute everything. I would also have a separate partition for Programs(to keep them separate for the reasons mentioned before ). If it is possible I would look at creating a 175-200GB partition for FSX, with (and again only if it is possible) a separate partition for the add on scenery. Most of the scenery that installs itself into the FSX > ADDON SCENERY can be moved to a separate folder on a separate partition, and the scenery.cfg file can be altered to reflect the changes. DO NOT move the default folders from the Main FSX directory. I did this myself with a FS Global Scenery 2010, and have since put any scenery in these remote directories.
    There should be no problem moving your current FSX setup to a new partition. The following is a link to an application mover (which is well worth the $15 or so ):https://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm. I moved XPlane to a SSD partition with it and it worked great (though it might take a bit of time both to get going, which is no surprise considering the amount of data to be transferred. It will also remove the source data should it be necessary ), though target addresses might have to changed to reflect the new location.
    Another really nice bit of software that you might be of interest is Crystal Disk info, which is a disk health monitor, which for what it is worth I would recommend.
    If you are using FSX I woud also consider the 4GB Patch as well. I believe that between moving FSX to a separate partition, and the 4Gb patch )and of course tweaking the settings) you should be OK.... :D

After two weeks frustration I finally managed to completely install my VFR Ireland Scenery.

I downloaded a program http://www.roadkil.net/program.php/P29/Unstoppable%20Copier which successfully copied all files from the six dvds to an external hard drive and allowed me to install everything perfectly to FSX.

I'm not sure why Windows continually failed to copy the discs with throwing up numerous extraction errors, but Roadkil Unstoppable extracted everything so Happy Days. :)

Advertisement