Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring Weather 2016

1434445464749»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

What an end to spring 2016, hopefully summer will be just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's Grange's review for Spring 2016

Rainfall: Wettest Spring since 2006.
    I recorded a rainfall total of 212.2mm (159% of the LTA) and it was my wettest Spring since 2006. Rainfall was very unevenly distributed throughout the season with March recording 46.1mm (100% of the LTA), April recording 104.0mm (267% of the LTA) and May recording 60.5mm (126% of the LTA). You can clearly see by these totals that April recorded much of the rainfall and it was my second wettest April on record after 2012. Whilst March was exactly average and May was unremarkably wet and it was actually the driest May since 2008 despite being wetter than normal. I recorded my wettest day of the season on April 11th which recorded a daily fall of 39.5mm, my second wettest April day on record. Spring 2016's rainfall nearly equalled Spring 2015's rainfall total which recorded 212.3mm which shows how similar they have been - in Spring 2015, the rainfall was also very unevenly distributed with April dry and May extremely wet. Overall, Spring 2016 wasn't in any way particularly remarkable in terms of rainfall.

Temperature: Coldest Spring since 2013 but May was quite warm.
    I recorded a mean temperature of 8.0c (-0.7c below the LTA) and it was the coldest Spring since 2013 although Spring 2015 was colder which recorded 7.6c. March and April were very cold months whilst May was quite warm overall but the humid nature of May was not enough to balance out the cold beginning to Spring. March recorded a mean temperature 5.7c (-1.5c below the LTA) and it was my coldest March since 2013. March recorded very little warm days. April wasn't much of an improvement with a mean temperature of only 6.6c (-1.6c below the LTA) and it was my coldest April since 1989. Like March, April didn't record much warm days. Spring's mean temperature by this stage was only 6.1c (-1.6c below the LTA). However, May came along and brought a drastic improvement to the mean temperature and May turned out quite warm with a mean temperature of 11.8c (+1.0c above the LTA). This was the warmest May since 2008 and was warmer than any of the Mays from 2011-2015. In terms of temperature, Spring 2016 wasn't anything remarkable. I recorded my maximum temperature of 22.5c on the last day of the season, May 31st, the highest I have had in Spring since 2010. I recorded my minimum temperature of -4.2c on March 18th, the lowest I have had in Spring since 2013.

Sunshine: Sunniest Spring since 2011.
    I recorded a sunshine total of 539 hours (129% of the LTA) and it was my sunniest Spring since 2011. This sunshine was fairly evenly distributed through the season especially in comparison with the rainfall totals. March recorded 125 hours (136% of the LTA) and it was the sunniest March since 2011, April recorded 169 hours (116% of the LTA) and it was the sunniest April since 2015 and May recorded 241 hours (134% of the LTA) and it was the sunniest May since 2000 - and the second sunniest on record. However, despite being sunnier than normal, March and April were actually some of the duller in recent years. Spring 2016 was sunnier than Spring 2015 by 10 hours only. May 2016 was nearly sunnier than April 2015 which was the sunniest April on record and May was only 3 hours short of April 2015 which recorded 244 hours compared to May 2016's 241 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

A warm sunny day here with a high of 22.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The wind was borderline horrible here in Sligo today. Perfect clear skies but it felt genuinely cold, the breeze from 6-8pm was really gusty for a sunny day. Temperatures have struggled to get above 16 here today and yesterday, consistently one of the coldest places in the country since Sunday. Onshore breezes are a killer. Thankfully their effect is subsiding for the rest of the week and we should see some 20 degrees fingers crossed.

Good luck to the East coast with the switch in winds coming up.

EDIT: I see on the latest ME chart update they've pegged the NW and W back 3 degrees tomorrow and 5 for Thursday wind must be remaining onshore despite turning more easterly. Goodbye to this spell of sunshine feeling warm whatsover. Next please.

joujoujou wrote: »
    We'll see. 2 days left. :]

Less than an hour :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

John.Icy wrote: »
    The wind was borderline horrible here in Sligo today. Perfect clear skies but it felt genuinely cold, the breeze from 6-8pm was really gusty for a sunny day. Temperatures have struggled to get above 16 here today and yesterday, consistently one of the coldest places in the country since Sunday. Onshore breezes are a killer. Thankfully their effect is subsiding for the rest of the week and we should see some 20 degrees fingers crossed.

Good luck to the East coast with the switch in winds coming up.

EDIT: I see on the latest ME chart update they've pegged the NW and W back 3 degrees tomorrow and 5 for Thursday wind must be remaining onshore despite turning more easterly. Goodbye to this spell of sunshine feeling warm whatsover. Next please.

I say take what we can while we have it because there may not be a 'next'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cooling down now quite quickly, 8 degrees at Knock airport. Roaches point benefiting from a northerly flow currently 17 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Less than an hour :pac:
    No rain. Why? Ms jou's day off cancelled. :P

Met Éireann report that May 2016 was a very sunny month and it was the sunniest May since 2010 with quite warm and mostly dry conditions:

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2016-May.pdf

Malin Head recorded a whopper of 260 hours of sunshine!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    And you won't see any proper Spring weather 'til May, sorry... :(.

Sorry that I am still posting on this thread but I'd like to point out this post to you Clonmel that I originally talked to you 'bout. Wasn't I exactly right about this statement?

• Advertisement
Advertisement