Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Varroa mite

• 28-05-2016 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi,
    I just got an overwintered Nuc and after putting them in the hive after checking the bottom board have counted between 15 and 20 mites a couple of mornings in a row.
    The mites look to be dead or at least not moving does this mean anything?
    Should I treat?
    I have ordered beevital which says it can be used all year round and during honey flow.
    Should I treat my other hive as well? I have seen no mites on this hive since March.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

What you need to do first is to check the real amount of infection. See this, but use 100ml of bees and, rather than tipping the icing sugar out onto a dry plate, it's much easier to do it over water in a plate. That will give you your count for 300 bees. So, if you have 3 mites, that's 3 per 300 or 1%. If the count's over 2%, I would definitely treat them.

Repeat the count on the other hive, and only treat if necessary.

BTW, if you're doing counts, the NIHBS would love to hear your results - read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've had good results with maqs strips following a heavy varroa count in a hive. I then follow up with vape treatment in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maeve Honey

dto001 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just got an overwintered Nuc and after putting them in the hive after checking the bottom board have counted between 15 and 20 mites a couple of mornings in a row.
    The mites look to be dead or at least not moving does this mean anything?
    Should I treat?
    I have ordered beevital which says it can be used all year round and during honey flow.
    Should I treat my other hive as well? I have seen no mites on this hive since March.

Thanks

First step is ask the nuc supplier if they have treated for varroa in the last few weeks. Or did I misunderstand - did you overwinter the nuc yourself?

Advertisement