Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst Sitcom(s) on TV

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Anyone remember Smack the Pony? Yeah, thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Will and Grace.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Anyone remember Smack the Pony? Yeah, thought so.

That was a sketch show not a sitcom!

/pedant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

squonk wrote: »
    I knew that'd be controversial but, honestly, I just never got the show. I found it very unfunny and, what's worse, it almost stopped me watching Veep as I just associated Julia Louis-Dreyfuss with Elaine from Seinfeld. Glad I took the chance.

I started watching Seinfeld while I lived in the US and loved it, but anytime I watched if while in Ireland it did not seem as funny for some odd reason.

Fraiser however I found equally funny in both locations

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

The Office ( Ricky Gervais)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Once again these threads just show how subjective comedy is.

People saying Seinfeld or The Office are the worst sitcoms on TV? They're hailed as classics in some corners but yet can make other people's worst of lists.

Many many people love Mrs. Brown's Boys. F*ck knows why - it's painful sh*te with jokes older than your granddad's ballsack but yet the fact remains a lot of people out there watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I totally get why folk don't love Seinfeld. I mean it's just a show about nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Wren2893

I totally get why folk don't love Seinfeld. I mean it's just a show about nothing really.

I never liked it but only because Jerry Seinfeld annoys me. Everything else about the show seemed funny, even his lines, but his voice and face bother. To me, he's just so punchable.

I tried watching The League on Netflix. I understand what they were trying to do but I thought it was dog****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I used to watch Taxi years ago, i wonder if i watched it again would i find it funny. sometimes what you used to find funny years ago when you watch it again as you get older look so unpolished and not really as funny as you thought

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I used to watch Taxi years ago, i wonder if i watched it again would i find it funny. sometimes what you used to find funny years ago when you watch it again as you get older look so unpolished and not really as funny as you thought

Same here. I got the boxsets bout 3 years ago and watched most of them and felt they held up pretty good. Some episodes better than others, but its the acting that makes it for me: Danny de Vito, Christopher Lloyd, Andy Kaufman, Judd Hirsch, Carol Kane etc Kickstarted some great careers.

Been rewatching lot of Bilko lately too, still as great as it was first time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Have to chime back in here.

Jerry was the primary reason I didn't like Seinfeld. He's about as unfunny as having a tooth pulled without anesthetic at the same time as having a toenail pulled as well. Anything I saw of the show I just wanted to slap him and the rest of the cast came across as idiots. I suppose it just wasn't for me.

I saw Kimmy Schmidt mentioned here. I kind of have to agree with what was said. I like Tina Fey but here it seems like she just took the oddest situation she could find, expanded it and applied the 30 Rock style template to the whole thing. I think 30 Rock was a huge success and a generally great show but Kimmy Schmidt is just fairly average and, while it's not awful, it's not very good either.

Smack The Pony was OK. Not great, not bad either though. It introduced us to Sally Phillips and that's generally been a good thing I feel.

Two that really don't do it for me, although they're animated comedies so not sure if that's intended here, are Futurama and American Dad. Both are from creators of great shows, Groening and McFarlane, however I don't think either is anyway near as funny as their creator's original shows. Having said that, the less said about The Cleveland Show the better but ratings did for that already. I have to say I just found Futurama and American Dad equally unfunny. I'd even go so far as to say I'm not sure why anyone really allowed them to be made in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

The Big Bang Theory is the hands down winner. Dreadful show, nothing funny about it at all. A girl with a squeaky voice? Am I really supposed to find it funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Wren2893 wrote: »
    I never liked it but only because Jerry Seinfeld annoys me.

I agree with you about Jerry Seinfeld, never found him funny at all. But I think that this is the same for all lead characters in sitcoms. I love King Of Queens, but I could understand that if you dont like Kevin James you're not gonna like King Of Queens. I'm sure a lot of people dont Love Raymond because they find Ray Romano's voice extremely irritating.

Advertisement