Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

FBOT01 wrote: »
    D when you scaled back the overall mileage did you scale back the intensity or just the mileage i.e. is the 5m LT session a scale back version or have you just being cutting back the GA runs and the easier stuff. The higher intensity runs are obviously going to be the ones that take more out of you so should be the ones that you reassess first IMHO.

Also based on your 10m PB P&D would suggest that your LT pace should be at least 7:09.....add the fact that you are on a multi-marathon cycle and it was warm I suggest you were always at risk of overcooking at the pace you were aiming at. So as you have already said no reason to waste any time worrying about it. Park it and move on.

Good news on the Heart front.........did you tell him about the cigars ;)

Good point - cutting back on mileage only, and now that I look at schedule again, only slightly (nipping a mile off easy runs here and there as you suspected). It certainly occurred to me this morning that 5 miles was a long tempo run (seems shorter on paper), so made the decision on the fly! I suppose it always feels better if you decide in advance.

Felt LT based on recent 5k (after Ballycotton where I was a little too comfortable anyway) was probably more honest? But absolutely right about the heat, as adrian noted also, should have scaled back regardless of the target.

Move on? But what about the opportunity for navel-gazing? :pac: I'm heading over to facebook for some real narcissism, they'll understand better over there. :D

Re the cardiologist, I told her about Cork, but not the cigars.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Only down Sunday night heading back Monday, so won't be there Monday night.
    C has offered to drive, he said he was coming back Monday so if that is his plan
    I will probably get a lift from him. Not sure if he plans on getting out of dodge
    straight away will firm up nearer time. Will be interesting to see how you go in
    Cork.

Cheers G - we can delay him at least a couple of hours so you can get a pint in! Your own training looks very promising, here's hoping we all get what we want.

Sat 14 May

Recovery 5k@5:54 (3.1m@9:29).

Was going to take a complete rest day today. Parkrun volunteering in the morning must have whetted the appetite as I changed my mind and headed to the local park for a few miles.

Sun 15 May

LR 32.2@5:25 (20@8:43).

Fab run. Spent the morning at the Terenure 5. A few disappointments in the warm conditions but I was envious of them all. Head out later up the canal to the Phoenix Park. Nice easy start then mixed the pace up a bit from km to km to keep it interesting. Plan had 18 but stretched it to 20.

WTD: 81k (50m)
    MTD: 158 (98)
    YTD: 1,249 (776)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Good stuff you got run in, lovely afternoon for a run.

Good stuff you got run in, lovely afternoon for a run.

Certainly was. Never saw the park as busy. Had to laugh at all the traffic jams at the Wellington monument though. Why do Irish drivers all try to get so close to the destination that none of them can get away afterwards? Cars parked on both sides of road, half up on footpath but still blocking road, no room for two way traffic, chaos! Always great to run smugly past the gridlock (on the sliver of path they left us).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Murph_D wrote: »
    Certainly was. Never saw the park as busy. Had to laugh at all the traffic jams at the Wellington monument though. Why do Irish drivers all try to get so close to the destination that none of them can get away afterwards? Cars parked on both sides of road, half up on footpath but still blocking road, no room for two way traffic, chaos! Always great to run smugly past the gridlock (on the sliver of path they left us).

Its nuts isn't it?! I had the park practically to myself yesterday morning #lazygits :p but similarly I was driving into the car park at Lidl later on, there were 6 cars looking for a space right beside the door, I scooted past them and went the other way, parked my car at the back wall and was going in the door to the shop and 3 of the cars were still there :confused:. It also meant I could get out really quickly!

Sounds like a lovely run :)

Our local Westwood is the same. A is always giving out about the number of members blocking road and footpath waiting for a space in the (ALWAYS full car park). 100m away there's plenty of on-street parking. You're going to a gym FFS. Walk a few yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Our local Westwood is the same. A is always giving out about the number of members blocking road and footpath waiting for a space in the (ALWAYS full car park). 100m away there's plenty of on-street parking. You're going to a gym FFS. Walk a few yards.

That's a bit harsh, D. They pay €75 per month for membership and you expect them to exercise outdoors ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

That made me laugh. I HATE running by there, have had a few near misses where drivers have pulled in off the main road and nearly taken the legs off me. Used to bring my kids to swimming lessons there and we'd always park in the car park beside the Dart car park. Single occupant cars always in queue for main car park - young fit looking people who couldn't drag their a$$ an extra few metres to and from their workout. When we came out with wet heads and trekked down the road, I'd normally be muttering rude things under my breath (and sometimes out loud :D)

Mon 16 May

rest.

Tue 17 May

WU + 4x800 + CD Total 13k (8m).

The plan had 5x600 for today. Hadn't been to the club in quite a while so jogged over to check in. Ferris is on the same Cork schedule and we figured we could do our own thing if the session on offer didn't suit. Turned out there were no lanes free so we joined in the 6x800 that most people were doing, leaving out the last two reps. I joined the wrong group and did the first one a little too fast before jumping into another group for the other three, which were a tad below recommended pace but it felt right. Great turnout on a warm evening. Nice to see marthastew back in action after a bit of illness and injury. Some more laps of the track and infield to cool down before being chauffeured home by Ferris.

Splits: 3:02 3:19 3:21 3:17

WTD: 13k (8m)
    MTD: 171 (106)
    YTD: 1,262 (784)

• Advertisement

Wed 18 May

Recovery 10k @ 5:55 (6.2m @ 8:59).

The plan suggested an 11m MLR but I wasn’t having that. Felt like something easier, and inspired by FBOT’s post on the novice thread I opted for 10k on the grass around the pitches in Albert College Park. Enjoyable if a little monotonous, but a good choice, I think.

WTD: 23k (14m)
    MTD: 181 (112)
    YTD: 1,272 (790)

Thu 19 May

Rest. Pilates class, first in a few weeks. Regular instructor was away and the replacement had a different approach, which I liked. Slower and more controlled. Enjoyed this.

Fri 20 May

Spent the day at an event in TCD (no time to check out the grass track unfortunately). Got no run in at all as the evening was taken up by a child safety awareness thing in advance of the Albert College junior parkrun. Really interesting evening, that ultimately gives a better appreciation of the good work done by thousands of coaches and volunteers out there running clubs in the best interests of both kids and adults (and how difficult it can be to keep kids motivated and interested in staying with their sport into adulthood). No time for today's scheduled 6k, unfortunately.

Sat 21 May

St. Anne's parkrun - joining the 50 Club.

I entitled my strava activity for this, "How not to race 5k", with the comment "So that's what it feels like to blow up".

This was my 50th parkrun and, with the plan encouraging a tune up race, I gave it a lash. As is voguish on boards at the moment, I didn't look at the watch at all. Lined up at fairly close to the front and got a great start with no congestion. No idea of the pace of course, and ended up going out way too fast (although I didn't realise this at the time, with no data to work with).:p

Died a slow death on the hill towards the end of the first lap, feeling bunched by the halfway point where I got the first piece of feedback with the time called at 10:30. This was a bit better than I felt at this point, and I spent the entire second lap being passed by people who know how to pace themselves better. The dry retches started early, in the 4th km, forcing me to slow even more. Nearly walked at the start of the fifth, before recovering slightly (on the same hill where I blew up earlier, ironically). Tottered over the line, surprised in the end that I managed to stay under 22 mins.

Splits (km): 3:55 4:11 4:53 4:21 4:36
    Splits (mi): 6:16 7:37 7:32 (0:31)

Time 21:56
    41st place. 1st M55, Age Grade 69.9%, VDOT 44.7.
    Target: sub-21
    Verdict: Start slower next time. :o

Total with warmup 6.5k (4m). Thanks as always to today's volunteers, who included FBOT and KennyG looking in real marathon shape at the moment. Many thanks to Mrs. KennyG for the celebratory slice of pie, which went down faster than my run anyway. :)

WTD: 29k (18m)
    MTD: 187 (116)
    YTD: 1,278 (794)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Congrats on the 50th parkrun! Had to laugh at the pie-comment. I like the pic on the St Anne's FB page of the two lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done on 50th D and not entirely sure that pace for first mile is that far
    off your PB effort, only shade to fast, next time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Thu 19 May

Rest. Pilates class, first in a few weeks. Regular instructor was away and the replacement had a different approach, which I liked. Slower and more controlled. Enjoyed this.

Fri 20 May

Spent the day at an event in TCD (no time to check out the grass track unfortunately). Got no run in at all as the evening was taken up by a child safety awareness thing in advance of the Albert College junior parkrun. Really interesting evening, that ultimately gives a better appreciation of the good work done by thousands of coaches and volunteers out there running clubs in the best interests of both kids and adults (and how difficult it can be to keep kids motivated and interested in staying with their sport into adulthood). No time for today's scheduled 6k, unfortunately.

Sat 21 May

St. Anne's parkrun - joining the 50 Club.

I entitled my strava activity for this, "How not to race 5k", with the comment "So that's what it feels like to blow up".

This was my 50th parkrun and, with the plan encouraging a tune up race, I gave it a lash. As is voguish on boards at the moment, I didn't look at the watch at all. Lined up at fairly close to the front and got a great start with no congestion. No idea of the pace of course, and ended up going out way too fast (although I didn't realise this at the time, with no data to work with).:p

Died a slow death on the hill towards the end of the first lap, feeling bunched by the halfway point where I got the first piece of feedback with the time called at 10:30. This was a bit better than I felt at this point, and I spent the entire second lap being passed by people who know how to pace themselves better. The dry retches started early, in the 4th km, forcing me to slow even more. Nearly walked at the start of the fifth, before recovering slightly (on the same hill where I blew up earlier, ironically). Tottered over the line, surprised in the end that I managed to stay under 22 mins.

Splits (km): 3:55 4:11 4:53 4:21 4:36
    Splits (mi): 6:16 7:37 7:32 (0:31)

Time 21:56
    41st place. 1st M55, Age Grade 69.9%, VDOT 44.7.
    Target: sub-21
    Verdict: Start slower next time. :o

Total with warmup 6.5k (4m). Thanks as always to today's volunteers, who included FBOT and KennyG looking in real marathon shape at the moment. Many thanks to Mrs. KennyG for the celebratory slice of pie, which went down faster than my run anyway. :)

WTD: 29k (18m)
    MTD: 187 (116)
    YTD: 1,278 (794)

Nice going on the auld lad category 1st place.

What the hell is an age grade %?

TbL

congrats on 50!!! must get over there soon to check out this new hilly course :)

Nice going on the auld lad category 1st place.

What the hell is an age grade %?

TbL

To be fair there were only a dozen or so of us in the category (a few more than usual, I think, but it's not particularly competitive!

Age Grade is the world record for your age divided by your time. If you run the world record you get 100%. I use this calculator. parkrun use a slightly different dataset to arrive at their own result, which is generally a tiny bit higher. It's a way for us aul lads to pretend we're a bit more competitive than we really are, according to some. :rolleyes:

Thanks for passing up the opportunity to point out that I'm getting slower while you're getting faster, by the way! ;)

Firedance wrote: »
    congrats on 50!!! must get over there soon to check out this new hilly course :)

Ta, AM. It now has a hill, but it's no Cabinteely. :p

Well done on 50th D and not entirely sure that pace for first mile is that far
    off your PB effort, only shade to fast, next time:)

Thanks G - PB pace is 6:33 - that's the problem with the rubber band; if you only overstretch it a little bit, it still breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Thanks G - PB pace is 6:33 - that's the problem with the rubber band; if you only overstretch it a little bit, it still breaks!

That was a pretty electric 1st mile ok :eek:. Still, you banked the experience for the next attempt. And whist on the number in your category :D. You won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Its a tough one AM still working out race strategy !!

Congrats on the milestone Murph:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Ouch, feel that pain. Been there :rolleyes:. But congrats on the age group win, and the 50th. Hope you enjoyed the pie.

95c6a3553f71e0b03979943bd13a8520.jpg

Sun 22 May

LR 32.2k @ 5:40 (20m @ 9:07).

Bumped into a neighbour and had company at a good clip as far as St. Anne's. Left him at the causeway and continued on to Howth Head. Plan said 27k (17m) but as I'm a bit short on this week's mileage I felt it would be OK to stretch it a bit and get another 20-miler under the belt. Took a detour down to the Bailey Lighthouse then regretted it on the very steep return to the road where there was still a way to go to the summit. Down the tramlines and back along the seafront where as usual the headwind had managed to pick up. Was bonking a bit towards the end of this, definitely metabolising fat (not that I have much in that department to chew on). Rewarded myself with a sports drink and a snickers. :rolleyes:

WTD: 62k (38m)
    MTD: 220 (136)
    YTD: 1,310 (814)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the 50 D.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Sun 22 May

LR 32.2k @ 5:40 (20m @ 9:07).

Bumped into a neighbour and had company at a good clip as far as St. Anne's. Left him at the causeway and continued on to Howth Head. Plan said 27k (17m) but as I'm a bit short on this week's mileage I felt it would be OK to stretch it a bit and get another 20-miler under the belt. Took a detour down to the Bailey Lighthouse then regretted it on the very steep return to the road where there was still a way to go to the summit. Down the tramlines and back along the seafront where as usual the headwind had managed to pick up. Was bonking a bit towards the end of this, definitely metabolising fat (not that I have much in that department to chew on). Rewarded myself with a sports drink and a snickers. :rolleyes:

WTD: 62k (38m)
    MTD: 220 (136)
    YTD: 1,310 (814)

Was that you sporting black stockings along by wooden bridge about 12:30 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ferris B wrote: »

Oh no, somebody spotted him... He was going for a KennyG look :D

Ferris B wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: you mean compression socks right? tell me you mean compression socks.....:D

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: you mean compression socks right? tell me you mean compression socks.....:D

Was just about the type the same question AM :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Looked like they were just above the knee. Thought it was Eddie Izzard at first glance!!!

Advertisement