Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Diamond League Fantasy League

• 27-04-2016 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

The Diamond league is starting up in a little over a week so I thought it might be an idea to get this going again this year if anyone is interested. You basically pick a team from all the events before every meet and whoever has the most points at the end wins. Create a team here:

http://fantasydiamondrace.com/

I've set up a local league for boards if anyone is interested

Boards A/R: The league pin to join is 2603410

Diamond league starts on the 6th of May in Doha.

Anyone up for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

If I remember correctly, the key to success at this is:

a) remembering to enter a team ahead of the deadline

b) being jammy with your team even when you do forget to update it.

This really added to my interest in and enjoyment of the field events last year, so will definitely sign up again. Still not picking Gatlin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

A whopping 5 entries so far with just under 24 hours until the deadline for Doha.

Anyone who enters before the deadline, PM me to let me know so I can accept you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

El Caballo wrote: »
    A whopping 5 entries so far with just under 24 hours until the deadline for Doha.

Anyone who enters before the deadline, PM me to let me know so I can accept you.

I'll enter a team later on. I finally feel like I've accumulated enough athletics knowledge to have a good auld stab at this. All the best shot putters are from Poland right? :)

I'll enter a team later on. I finally feel like I've accumulated enough athletics knowledge to have a good auld stab at this. All the best shot putters are from Poland right? :)

OK, I'm in.

Diamond Lights all the way.

Disappointing that you can see other people's teams in advance of the deadline and they're all pretty much the same although everyone seems to have thrown in a bit of a curve ball to shake things up :)

I think the curve balls are what make the differences, as they add up over the course of the season, especially where there's a bonus for meet records/double points for captain, etc. And possibly for the Glenn & Chris reference too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Any TV channel showing Doha Diamond League live?

Thanks

Eurosport 2, I think (Eurosport player online).

Adrian, I accepted your request yesterday.

Well, I had an absolute shocker by the looks of it, didn't get to see the meet but I don't think my captain bothered her arse showing up so that's not a good start. Having a look there at the teams, I might be fighting it out for relagation early in the season.

A lot of people caught out by Hejnova. I don't know why I went with Barshim - he really went off the boil last season. I was really, really close to putting Sandi Morris in, but opted for Semenya on the basis of the buzz around her performances earlier in the year. Her 800 was a little ridiculous. LetsRun had a piece about it being the fastest closing 100m in a sub-2 women's 800 - 13.6. Good recap of the meet here:

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2016/05/day-distance-dominance-asbel-kiprop-conseslus-kipruto-almaz-ayana-caster-semenya-earn-big-wins-track-fields-opening-day/

I found it well worth getting the Eurosport Player for a few months just to watch the meets live/on catch up.

Sacksian wrote: »
    A lot of people caught out by Hejnova. I don't know why I went with Barshim - he really went off the boil last season. I was really, really close to putting Sandi Morris in, but opted for Semenya on the basis of the buzz around her performances earlier in the year. Her 800 was a little ridiculous. LetsRun had a piece about it being the fastest closing 100m in a sub-2 women's 800 - 13.6. Good recap of the meet here:

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2016/05/day-distance-dominance-asbel-kiprop-conseslus-kipruto-almaz-ayana-caster-semenya-earn-big-wins-track-fields-opening-day/

I found it well worth getting the Eurosport Player for a few months just to watch the meets live/on catch up.

Don't know why I went Barshim as well. Was just hoping he'd have similarly good early season form to last year. I assumed Semenya would crumble under the spotlight for some reason and went for Sum. Bad mistake. Semenya was so dominant. Just breezed away in the end. Some other bad decisions in events I'm not familiar with. Will do a bit more research next time.

• Advertisement

Don't know why I went Barshim as well. Was just hoping he'd have similar early season form

That was a different Barshim to the one you picked;)

made the same mistake last year:)

You done well to be fair Sacksian. I was going to go with semenya as well after her incredible triple a few weeks ago but I backed out of that race because I thought Sum might have her still. See Steve Magness reckons she could break the world record this year after that.

That was a different Barshim to the one you picked;)

made the same mistake last year:)

Feck, I was actually concious of that and still picked the wrong one. Don't know how that happened. Obviously some type of sabotage :).

I had thought Ibarguen was as close as you can get to a lock for a win (and meet record) so I was a bit pissed off when Rojas took the lead with a 14.79 (+MR), until Ibarguen asserted herself. According to LetsRun, only the second time Ibarguen's gone over 15m in her career - she did very well for me last year too!

Yeah, I thought Semenya might not have the nous to topple Sum, or that the occasion might get to her, but she was almost trying to make it not look too easy for the first 700m.

Anyone else notice that Myles score is off? He should have way more points as a lot of people who actually scored got 0 points for him.:confused:

Some interesting match-ups tomorrow in Shanghai. Rudisha is probably a lock for the 800m (and possible MR), men's 400mh and women's steeplechase should both be very competitive.

I think the deadline for making changes is tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 McNamarathon

If it's not too late I've thrown my hat in the ring.

Made some really quick substitutions last night in the case that I forgot to look at it this morning, which of course subsequently happened. Not an amazing team probably but at least got something there. Go Gatlin Go! :D

I meant to make one more change, but I couldn't decide which one. I'm not sure about Ayalew...Nyambura was brilliant last year in the first women's steeple when she was supposed to be the pacer, and ended up winning.

Very bold decision having Gebremeskel as your captain, KU! No idea how that 5k is going to go - I just went with Kejelcha on faith.

I meant to make one more change, but I couldn't decide which one. I'm not sure about Ayalew...Nyambura was brilliant last year in the first women's steeple when she was supposed to be the pacer, and ended up winning.

Very bold decision having Gebremeskel as your captain, KU! No idea how that 5k is going to go - I just went with Kejelcha on faith.

Its so long since I've seen a 5000m race, I've forgotten about form and everything. Was going to go Kejelcha but couldn't put that much pressure on such young shoulders :rolleyes:. Looks like both were a bad choice anyway. Don't think Gebremeskel even ran. Should have captained Kipyegon. Incredible season opener. :eek:

• Advertisement

If it's not too late I've thrown my hat in the ring.

You're in.

I forgot a team already.:o long year ahead.

Nice one KU, would've forgot! Could you PM me before the meets to remind me just so you don't remind everyone else:p jk

This is going to be a high scoring meet anyway with the relatively soft meeting records.

Nice one KU, would've forgot! Could you PM me before the meets to remind me just so you don't remind everyone else:p jk

This is going to be a high scoring meet anyway with the relatively soft meeting records.
    I've a bit of ground to make so that was one courtesy reminder. Ye're on your own now. The proverbial elbows are out. :)

A lot of the meet records are relatively soft, but there is a few that are quite tough. I've picked Bondarenko for the men's high jump, but just noticed that the meet record is 2.39. I really should change that now...

Decent start for me tonight with Birch being my only real letdown but Kipruto is in serious forum, cruised in to an unreal time despite jogging the last 100. Got meeting records with Elaine Thompson, Alonso Edaward and David Oliver with Ibargeun picking up the W as well. I need a good score to get anyway back into this.

That's the easiest looking 1.56 I've ever seen anyway.

Pacers set up for a wr attempt...:D

Fingers crossed for a captain's performance!

I had a solid meet, but hopefully won't lose too much ground - not as many MRs as I'd have liked. I think Edward's time won't count as a meeting record, due to the wind.

• Advertisement

Bang on pace!! Long way on her own though

Advertisement