Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Key resellers & grey markets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Always thought G2A keys were keys bought from jurisdictions that had favorable currency exchange rates such as Russian keys. Have used G2A a dozen or so times for games like WOW and GW2. After reading a few of the links, I'm surprised Twitch allow streamers to promote G2A.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I've used g2play a fair amount, can't say I've ever had any trouble with any key I've ever gotten from there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Have bought over 20 games from them or similar sellers, all games still working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

The article you linked from Paul Kilduff-Taylor, The Key Masters: Reselling and the Games Industry, is probably the best article on the subject so far. It's pretty level headed and well researched piece and gets a nice mix of opinions on the matter including solicitors, developers and the key sellers themselves. The replies from the G2A representatives in response to the comments from Sheridans are also interesting, to say the least.

Personally, after the Humble key resale issue, I wouldn't touch any of the 7 Entertainment sites with a barge pole as a matter of principle. On the other hand, if a key-based retailer wants to bulk purchase keys from legitimate sources and pass on the savings to customers then that's bloody great, more power to them. Said retailers buying keys from countries with favourable exchange rates or lower prices which reflect their economic climate and then reselling them over here for a nice profit isn't something I'm a fan of on any kind of scale though.

In general though, I find the more interesting question in this debate isn't really "is the key I bought working fine", it's "who is getting shafted in order for me to get this cheap key" and the obvious follow up, "do I care?".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

There is an awful amount of scare tactics used to try to stop people from using them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bought keys dozens before. Never had any problem with them.

What I do have a problem with is publishers ignoring free market rules and enforcing regional pricing and region locking on the basis of bull**** claims like different rating systems.

Even if I do get caught called up for it I'll lose a game (I'll never use a VPN, that's a straight up ban from a service). That's not much compared to everything I've saved.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What I do have a problem with is publishers ignoring free market rules and enforcing regional pricing and region locking on the basis of bull**** claims like different rating systems.

it's a pain but it's standard in business - "value-based pricing" is what it's called - basically means extract the max on a what-someone-can-pay rationale in a particular market or particular situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

You didn't have any troubles because most of the times developers/publishers don't bother to ban or deactivate keys that are not used as stated in the initial sale terms, i.e. keys that are discounted for some countries used in some other countries. But sometimes they do.
    I mean, it has to be something wrong with those keys, surely you have thought about that. And if we go a bit towards the legal side, you are not actually buying the game, but a licence. That means that you enter into an agreement with the copyright holder to user their copyrighted work. If you do that behind their back (sort to speak) you don't actually get a valid right to use their work, so it's almost as bad as piracy. Sometimes even worse than piracy, as totalbiscut explained in the video, totally worth watching btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Does being found with a dodgy key mean losing the game or losing your steam account entirely?

Any other repercussions? Can you be investigated/account put on hold etc?

If a friend gifts me a dodgy a key, who is the wrong?

Thx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cordell wrote: »
    And if we go a bit towards the legal side, you are not actually buying the game, but a licence. That means that you enter into an agreement with the copyright holder to user their copyrighted work. If you do that behind their back (sort to speak) you don't actually get a valid right to use their work, so it's almost as bad as piracy. Sometimes even worse than piracy, as totalbiscut explained in the video, totally worth watching btw.

It's a complete bastardisation of copyright law though that is slowly being eroded in the EU. EU law is much more protective of it. US law favours big corporations so you don't have a leg to stand on there. I mean it would be absolutely insane to apply that to a physical good and the only reason copyright law like that is in place is a hang over from the 70's when they didn't know what to do with software as it was copied over to RAM so needed a stop gap measure that never got fixed and is now being abused.

You're absolutely right though but doesn't men the publishers are correct either. I won't be losing sleep over what is effectively shopping around that publishers are twisting the law to suit themselves and deem it copyright infringement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

I won't be losing sleep
    Me neither, regardless of the way I'm getting my games :) I never use grey, it's all black and white for me, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm still gonna buy from them (not G2A....G2PLay are my go-to guys...have been for 7 years now) and never had a problem.
    Even if 1 of the games get's revoked, the amount I've saved to date and in future means it's cost effective to keep buying that way.

Also, the games are still priced at $60 on Steam.
    But I remember the old discussions about prices. So much for marketing, so much for publishers, so much packaging, so much for physical stores etc etc
    You would get a physical copy of your game, a box, maybe a little trinket, hopefully a nice manual or backstory comic/book.
    But they cut all that out and still charge top dollar. Obviously they have to give STEAM something...but surely it's minimal compared to what it was sending physical copies to GAME etc years ago (I understand it's still done for consoles these days)

• Last one I got was Quantum break, was around €40ish from CDKeys and €69.99 from the Xbox Dashboard. I'd love to know how the numbers break down and what % goes where in terms of disc, key, download from official stores. I would assume MS/Sony and the publisher get a fixed number and the flexibility in price comes from the retailers cut and in the case of keys favourable exchange rates?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Steam gets 30% of everything sold on the store AFAIK - MASSIVE money for them and quite possibly more of a markup than a bricks & mortar would get when they factor in logistical costs.

I had a Far Cry 4 key get revoked (and subsequently restored) when that was a thing. I think it was Kinguin I'd used on that occasion. Since the whole issue blew up, I try to only buy from the guaranteed sites listed above - it's better for everyone to try and reward good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

All against stolen keys obviously. But re: reselling, well how about I use some terminology the entertainment industry understands, I won't "download" a car ;) if you admit you wouldn't sell me a car and then complaining that I sold it on for a profit. Well not to a judge anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I bought loads of keys from G2A and CDKEYS without any issue. Many people don't understand that G2A is a marketplace for multiple sellers. I have never had to pay insurance on a key due to purchasing from sellers that have great feedback.

I also bought a load of keys from Kinguin with no issues using the same process as G2A.

Quite frankly posters like the OP only serve to scaremonger people into purchasing games at stupidly high prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can't bring myself to buy from any of the super discount sites. Honestly, when I buy a game I above all like to know a fair and deserving amount goes to the developers - and sadly that's not something I can guarantee with the unauthorised resellers. I'm not saying they're all up to shadiness beyond taking clever advantage of regional pricing disparities, but at the same time the lack of transparency when it comes to the line of supply is not something I agree with. I don't like getting ripped off either, but frankly I rarely feel RRP is OTT - and if I do I'll just wait until it is something unreasonable.

Given the majority of the new games I buy are independent ones, I'm particularly satisfied to pay through 'standard' channels there as I reckon indies are the ones suffering most from resellers. Hell, given the trend of aggressive discounting seen these days anyway all titles, even AAA ones, are usually available at very attractive prices very quickly - and again the publishers have control over all that. One can always just wait a few weeks for a better price from the authorised sellers. And I completely respect the right of people like Jonathan Blow, or the Axiom Verge / Shovel Knight teams to set their own prices and discounts - that's their call, and if I don't think it's fair I just don't buy it.

Honestly, I'd much rather a cut of the price goes towards Humble (and charities) or even Valve over 'Omnyex E Commerce DMCC' (aka CD Keys) as I know much more on what they're about - that's even taking into account the undeniably healthy cut Valve takes. Grey markets will always exist, and I'm sure very few of them are trading in truly dodgy keys. But they're still 'grey', and for that reason I personally just avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Games used to cost 44.99 for a physical copy now Steam is charging 59.99 for a digital copy. Digital distribution through Steam does not incur the same overheads as physical distribution, yet the consumer has not seen any price benefit. This is why people buy from key resellers and why they will continue to do so no matter how many articles and forum posts are made about the risks of doing so.

Publishers need to learn that anti-competitive practices and pricing differentials will only incentivise people to use other means to obtain products. This is the reality of the digital age and a globalised market. The high prices charged for games on Steam have created the demand for resellers but instead of amending their own anti-competitive practices publishers insist on these price differentials across markets. Why should consumers in Europe pay more for the same digital product when customers in other markets are paying less for the exact same thing through the exact same distribution network?

I've only ever bought triple A games through resellers. I find indie prices are fair but triple A games on the likes of steam are taking the piss considering they are more expensive than retail physical releases.

Just one more point on this look at the Steam storefront right now:
    Totalwar Warhammer 59.99
    Civilisation 6 59.99
    Doom 59.99

Now look at Blizzard:
    Overwatch 39.99
    Overwatch Origins 59.99

That is sensible pricing for a base game and I would be happy to purchase through Blizzards front end at that level. But there is no way I'm paying 60 for any of those other titles.

• Advertisement

Its important to remember the vast amount of keys purchased from resellers are completely above board.

Resellers typically make very low profit margins and rely on bulk sales.

Just because Steam sells games at premium price points does not mean that resellers are selling dodgy keys. Steam simply sells them at a premium because they can. Their profit margin is way bigger than resellers.

Agree with you completely and have used Kinguin to purchase keys for quite a few games without any issues at all. Was just making the point, perhaps badly, that key sellers have created a legitimate market for savvy consumers to pick up titles at a lower price. While there may be risks to using some sellers as there have been cases of stolen keys, these would seem to be the minority and happens in all walks of life. But like you said checking reviews and who you are buying from on the marketplace goes a long way to mitigating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kinguin user here. I don't buy games that require VPNs or steam gift games but other than that I've not had a problem with any game I've bought.

I've bought them all knowing the slim risk involved but frankly the alternative for me is the "inlet of criminal seafarers". So the developers can get what they get from a genuine sale of a key albeit from a different region or they get nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Cross region sales are a big **** you to devs imo. If a game is 30% cheaper in Russia or Brazil because their economy sucks, and devs know that's a reasonable price to sell their product in that region, while smart business its fairly sound too.

Mightn't be fair to pay extra in the EU but we're not comuninists, more money, more disposable income so a higher price balances out

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dg19

Is it possible to get games for ireland on g2a or similar PS4 i dont want to buy wrong ones

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wow.
    http://imgur.com/a/HcSG4
    How to unsubscribe from G2A Shield

First, you have to check all these buttons, and click the gray button
    h6dMpt5.png

Then you have to pick a reason
    h6dMpt5.png

They try to bring you back in with a discount
    onTadZD.png

Confirm again, that you are in fact a complete maniac who doesn't want the great G2A Shield for 2 euros a month
    MjBgzxN.png

And again
    tLv2ol2.png

Now you have to dig out your credit card and confirm the last four digits
    F8nQ5Wi.png

And your email
    rnyxSot.png

Now wait 20 mins
    ngRghGR.png

AND NOW YOU CAN FINALLY UNSUBSCRIBE, JESUS CHRIST
    5GbJWtJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

but are you sure you want to leave?

I save myself time by not signing up to G2A shield in the first place :D

Over 30 purchases and I have never used G2A shield. I use good ole reliable feedback and have never had an issue with a key.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Try harder Kokiki..or should I say Gabe!

• Advertisement

Cross region sales are a big **** you to devs imo. If a game is 30% cheaper in Russia or Brazil because their economy sucks, and devs know that's a reasonable price to sell their product in that region, while smart business its fairly sound too.

Mightn't be fair to pay extra in the EU but we're not comuninists, more money, more disposable income so a higher price balances out

Check the tag on your underwear. Tell me if it's not coming from some heavily exploited third world country.

It's called the free market.

Advertisement