Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Showing - choosing the right class?

• 18-05-2016 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

With summer coming around the corner, I'll be making my annual attempts at showing :D

I've done a few years of showing, easier with my little bay mare but I'm struggling to find the right class for my current horse. Was told at Cavan the year before last he wasn't right for riding horse (too upright, wrong build etc), and was too heavy for the coloured classes, too light for the cobs!

I know that these opinions can be subjective but would welcome some thoughts on where best to put him - he's a flashy guy and would be nice to have a chance at the ribbons! (Please excuse the indiscretion of the mane/forelock combo - he is now fully hogged!! Photo is from the Working Hunter class)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

"Too heavy" for coloured class? Don't think that could be right - the aim of these classes according to the RDS is:

Aim

To help promote interest in and appreciation of Piebald and Skewbald horses.

Coloured horses are defined by their external coat colouration and markings and not by type.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    "Too heavy" for coloured class? Don't think that could be right - the aim of these classes according to the RDS is:

Aim

To help promote interest in and appreciation of Piebald and Skewbald horses.

Coloured horses are defined by their external coat colouration and markings and not by type.

Yeah I thought it was strange too - as I said I know these things can be subjective but the gist that I got was that they were looking for a lighter, more warmblood type horse for the coloured class.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

What height is your horse?

If under 15.2 you could try the small hunter but to be honest I would be giving the Coloured horse class another go;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I'm very surprised you were told he isn't right for the coloured classes. That's exactly where I'd be aiming him at if he was mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep coloured horse definitely.

• Advertisement

Yes I would have thought that makes sense - maybe I just got one strange opinion on it from a judge! I'll give the coloureds another go this summer then!

bob1984 wrote: »
    What height is your horse?

If under 15.2 you could try the small hunter but to be honest I would be giving the Coloured horse class another go;

He's 16.1 unfortunately Bob so I think small hunter is out!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

He is more suited to the Coloured Horse class than the smalls anyway :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Would have said coloured too, handsome chap that he is.

Can you show in coloureds with a hogged mane and forelock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Bellablu2011

Agree with the others, coloured class definitely. He is very pretty. I do think you have to have plaited mane though for the class.

Thanks for the advice everyone (and the compliments!)

Bellablu - thank you, yes I had a feeling that might be the case.. Might have to go as we are and hope for the best as that hog isn't going anywhere anytime soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

In terms of type and standing over 155cms he is probably more a maxi cob than a riding horse anyway so the hogged mane would be appropriate for him in the coloured class.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    In terms of type and standing over 155cms he is probably more a maxi cob than a riding horse anyway so the hogged mane would be appropriate for him in the coloured class.

Fab, good to know - thanks!

Advertisement