Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ED E wrote: »
    The link is live lads, as Morgana tests the results are included. Trend is consistent, no change.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?ct=d&sh=ea8f1e9c6d1da05f431f9ddbbabebe23&ria=0&s=0
    Ah OK thanks... some relatively poor results today by the looks of it - 16,16,26 Mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ah OK thanks... some relatively poor results today by the looks of it - 16,16,26 Mb/s.

Yes noticed those myself in today's results and similar 20ish at lunchtime the day before. Hope it is more to do with downloading going on at same time as text and not deterioration due to excess off the mast

polaris68 wrote: »
    Where are you guys finding out about these masts that will be going active in the next few months?

Their map has been updated for galway which shows the new coverage. From talking to agent on the phone he informed me of the new masts in Galway. Not sure about rest of the country though

irishchris wrote: »
    Yes noticed those myself in today's results and similar 20ish at lunchtime the day before. Hope it is more to do with downloading going on at same time as text and not deterioration due to excess off the mast
    It throws their guaranteed 30Mb out the window.. Hopefully not a regular thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Where are you guys finding out about these masts that will be going active in the next few months?

Can you be sure you will get a decent service at your house from a mast if it is not active?

KOR101 wrote: »
    Yes, would love to know.

As for new masts being set up - this info comes from the Imagine. They give this information when you call them and ask.

This link to comreg maps was posted by The Cush in post #97

http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

Choose the Imagine Wireless from the dropdown list and click submit.

Masts in Cashla, Abbeyknockmoy or Tonabrocky Co. Galway are not shown on this map yet.

Coverage from the masts is overlapping. I wonder if they will restrict each mast to 400 customers like they say. Or will they allow to connect to different one if one goes down to provide slower but continues service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Glad I checked this thread
    Live in east galway between Athenry and loughrea
    Will check website now to see if there is hope
    Have been with 3 since start of NBP
    Had to turn off the internet after 2 weeks of this months allowance as an Xbox game download or something had it precariously close to the 60GB limit
    Ridiculous in this day and age to live like this !
    Damn it
    I appear to be in the gap between a load of circles :(
    I've emailed anyway as there are masts to the north and south of the house for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2 James679

Hi lads.

I got Imagine LTE broadband installed yesterday. I'm seeing some really impressive speeds, around 70mb down on average with a peak of 89mb. Amazing I think I only had an intermittent 2mb down connection 2 days ago 😂 .

One thing bothers me though - why won't they give access to the router?? When I try bring up the router login page on chrome it says it "refused to connect". What is their reason for this? It's a flat, white, unbranded router.

I have a ps4 and I want to get open NAT, so if like to have access to the router to experiment with ports etc. Granted, their customer support is brilliant and said they would forward ports remotely for me. But it's not the same as having access myself.

As well as this Netflix has now ceased to work on both a PS3 and the ps4 in the house, yet works fine on my brothers PS3. An error comes up before the login screen.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could shed some light on any of this for me as I'm a bit confused.

Cheers,
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

km79 wrote: »
    Glad I checked this thread
    Live in east galway between Athenry and loughrea
    Will check website now to see if there is hope
    Have been with 3 since start of NBP
    Had to turn off the internet after 2 weeks of this months allowance as an Xbox game download or something had it precariously close to the 60GB limit
    Ridiculous in this day and age to live like this !
    Damn it
    I appear to be in the gap between a load of circles :(
    I've emailed anyway as there are masts to the north and south of the house for sure

Get yourself a 3 AYCE pay as you go SIM (for a phone). Top it up by €20. Send one text via a phone and then shove it in your router and top it up monthly by €20. No more limits for you!!! :D

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Get yourself a 3 AYCE pay as you go SIM (for a phone). Top it up by €20. Send one text via a phone and then shove it in your router and top it up monthly by €20. No more limits for you!!! :D

We actually have three 3 phones as well !
    Will this work ? Or is it just a back up for when we go near the limit ?
    I'm hoping imagine move out here TBH
    Less hassle better speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

km79 wrote: »
    We actually have three 3 phones as well !
    Will this work ? Or is it just a back up for when we go near the limit ?
    I'm hoping imagine move out here TBH
    Less hassle better speeds

Have a look in the midband sub-forum. There's a lot of people using this for primary, unlimited access. Because of this kind of package, 3's service is overused and gives generally terrible speeds, but at least you don't have to shut down your router for 2 weeks because of some updates.

• Advertisement

Have a look in the midband sub-forum. There's a lot of people using this for primary, unlimited access. Because of this kind of package, 3's service is overused and gives generally terrible speeds, but at least you don't have to shut down your router for 2 weeks because of some updates.

Wow can't believe I had not thought of this before
    It will do for the interim
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

'Magic wrote:
    =);99747342']
    I'm located east of Headford.
    Have a fixed line and vodafone at home with Dl @3Mb I'm literally the last house connected to the exchange. Have been checking Eir's fibre rollout website. For the last 18months it was saying upgrade in your area within 6months. Running out of patience with them.
    Yeah, I was in the same boat. Waited months watching the fibre "coming soon" status for the Claregalway area. Then waited a few more months after Claregalway was finally active for the Loughgeorge cab to be upgraded too. Only to then find out that being over 2km of old copper wire from that cab means eFibre is a complete non-starter anyway... :mad:

Hence I fell for the Eir salesman's bullsh!t when he knocked on the door claiming to guarantee faster speed than I was getting from Vodafone. Turned out to be a pack of lies, but I decided to stay with the 18mo contract as the overall package was better value and I couldn't see any better solution coming on the horizon. Now I feel trapped!

Although, checking the Imagine map again, coverage does look rather patchy in my area with a half-km wide gap just where my house is... :(

Except that Three's terms on this page
    €20 Top Up: All You Can Eat Data...
    Says the following:
    The data service is available for use with your Three SIM Card in your Three handset only. Tethering or use of the Three handset as, or the sim in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed and may be disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Just had a call from imagine in relation to the live chat yesterday. Apparently it was incorrect information I was given and the abbeyknockmoy mast is being built mid June and live before end of that month. I'm first in queue I was told so will let everyone know how it goes once I get connected. I will update this thread if I hear anything else in relation to the mast or any other delays

Did you have to pay anything now to sign up for this?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Gwynston wrote: »
    Says the following:

Many posts on this forum suggest that the above rule is not enforced.

This is the difference between Vodafone and 3's data network. Vodafone have low limits, but their rationing of data means there is a higher available bandwidth available to users as the network isn't under stress.

3's network on the other hand is absolutely destroyed with all you can eat data, tethering as above and all the left over dongles from the genius National Broadband Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Yeah you have to pay €100 of the €150 euro installation fee up front. I assume it is refundable if you cancel within the 14days cooling period if no installation has yet taken place but you'd have to confirm
    marno21 wrote: »

This is the difference between Vodafone and 3's data network. Vodafone have low limits, but their rationing of data means there is a higher available bandwidth available to users as the network isn't under stress.

3's network on the other hand is absolutely destroyed with all you can eat data, tethering as above and all the left over dongles from the genius National Broadband Scheme.

There sooooooooooo needs to be a sticky on either the broadband or midband forum for 3 AYCE data as an internet connection. :rolleyes:
    Lets we get back on topic as there are multiple threads already on 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Anybody received any news on their Tonnabrooky (Galway) connection yet? I signed up 2 weeks ago and was told it was going LIVE last week. After I ring them today, they tell me they're not expecting it to GO LIVE for another few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

Had the service installed (North Cork) yesterday and happy out - consistent speeds over 30Mbps on a wireless connection (tablet) and seeing 45 - 50Mbps wired.
    Will be keeping a close eye on the speeds and reliability over the next 14 days.

Fingers crossed

on closer inspection of the map my house may just be in an ornage area
    it's patchy but there are two masts nearby so fingers crossed if not now then soon

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

marno21 wrote: »
    Says the following:

To the best of my knowledge that "All you can eat data" for the 3 SIMs is due to end next month (June)

I have been using this without issue since Christmas and it was fine, just speeds weren't great and this is exactly why I've signed up with Imagine

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The link is live lads, as Morgana tests the results are included. Trend is consistent, no change.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?ct=d&sh=ea8f1e9c6d1da05f431f9ddbbabebe23&ria=0&s=0
    Speeds well below the "guaranteed" 30Mb for morgana today - have they already overloaded the mast in Bweeng I wonder?

Yes paid 100€ few weeks ago

irishfeen wrote: »
    Speeds well below the "guaranteed" 30Mb for morgana today - have they already overloaded the mast in Bweeng I wonder?

Yes noticed that today and yesterday's speeds are not above their minimum. Hope this is not sign of things to come. Only morgana can say if there was issue or if was downloading all day perhaps?

Rang up and got told I'm JUST outside abbeyknockmoy mast coverage :(
    Hopefully in next round of masts I'll be covered

Anyone know what phone packages are available? All I can find on the Imagine website is €59.99 for the LTE package including national and local calls.

I currently have an Eir broadband bundle that also includes International calls (I have family in UK and Canada). It's more expensive, but do Imagine have an equivalent International call offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Yes noticed that today and yesterday's speeds are not above their minimum. Hope this is not sign of things to come. Only morgana can say if there was issue or if was downloading all day perhaps?

Yup noticeable speed drop since yesterday afternoon. Was just on to them, issue is being investigated/escalated.

morgana wrote: »
    Yup noticeable speed drop since yesterday afternoon. Was just on to them, issue is being investigated/escalated.
    It will be interesting to see what happens now and whether there is a tech problem... if they are overloading the mast this early the it's a sign of things to come countrywide.

The draw of €€ always seems to cause wireless providers to overload ... Nova, Ripplecom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Anyone know what phone packages are available? All I can find on the Imagine website is €59.99 for the LTE package including national and local calls.

I currently have an Eir broadband bundle that also includes International calls (I have family in UK and Canada). It's more expensive, but do Imagine have an equivalent International call offering?

When I called them earlier this week I asked this question. Answer is no. They offer only one package at the moment and no info about extending the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Quiksilver

They were offering a cheaper package a month ago but they took it down.

• Advertisement

morgana wrote: »

Thanks for updating us. Let us know how you get on as hope it is an isolated tech issue and not over subscription to the mast

Advertisement