Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Roses single this Friday?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Needs a bridge or some small diversion to really lift it but I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Hopefully the album is better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Absolute gash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

Christ that's poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Roguemichael

I listened to the new song last night, i quite like it, not groundbreaking by at stretch of the means but has stone roses fan i think its a decent entry for band that hadn't released a song in over 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

psheaser wrote: »
    Downloaded it, 5 euro on iTunes.

Best fiver I've ever spent guys

5 euro?? It cost me 1.29 - what did you buy?

I hated it last night when I listened to it for the first time. This morning, I quite like it. It's a nice little song.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

First thought was Cast but elsewhere people are likening it to the Seahorses, which is also fair enough.

Not good, sounds very much like Squire's latterday work, hard to detect Ian Brown's input at all. The lyrics on the debut album may not have been particularly profound but they had a swagger and generally hung together well - these lyrics are just totally bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It's not bad. Not a classic by any stretch. Lyrics kind of reminded me of Status Quo :D:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

noby wrote: »
    After such a long gap it was never going to live up to heightened expectations. They're a middle aged band - no band I know from that era can suddenly turn the click back 25 years when writing new material.
    Suede laugh in the face of your assertion.
    As for the Stone Roses tune, yeah not really doing much for me. If a new band came along and released it as their debut single I doubt many people would give it much attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Pighead wrote: »
    As for the Stone Roses tune, yeah not really doing much for me. If a new band came along and released it as their debut single I doubt many people would give it much attention.

True, on both points. But Suede are hardly the norm when it comes to this. Plus at least they kept their hand in over the years. Half of the Roses were pretty much retired from music - and maybe that's showing.

Let's see how Slowdive get on with their new material, for example.

I've had a Seahorses earworm all day, which is probably the level of the song, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I think it's a killer tune! A real summery anthem, which is what I wanted from them. To me it's the sound of a great band plugging in again after so many years and just going with what comes natural. Yes the lyrics are awful but you get over that fairly quickly. I think Reni steals the show. His drum sound is amazing and that loose Roses groove is there. 4/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

I see the Cure are releasing new music as well,tis like we are in 90's time warp with all these bands making comebacks.I cant think of any comeback that has being particularly successful though in terms of delivering quality music.Even the great pixies couldn't set the world alight again. Still its good for fans to be able to see these bands live that they might have not had a chance to see in the 90''s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

As an earlier poster said if a band released this as their first single it would get no attention at all. I'm not a fan of repetitive songs just for the sake of being able to sing along to it, this smacks of that to be honest. If I heard this on the radio without no prior knowledge, I would say it was a very poor Euro 2016 song. The single offers very little at all imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Don't care if it's shít or not, it's not going to ruin the previous songs. They are still epic and they always be.

as for the new song, it's roses-ey, it's not anthemy, but a few beers and I'll probably be holding hands with my wife and whatever other randomers will be beside me in Marlay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Might grow on me but on first listen I don't think much of it tbh.

I've heard it about 10 times now and it's definitely not growing on me...it's getting worse and more annoying with every listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The lyrics pissed me off. I mean seriously it's like something a ten year old would come up with. Apart from that it's great, especially the guitar. Looking forward to the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

MadYaker wrote: »
    The lyrics pissed me off. I mean seriously it's like something a ten year old would come up with. Apart from that it's great, especially the guitar. Looking forward to the album.

One love, we don't need another love
    One love, one heart and one soul
    We can have it all
    Easy peasy

Any time you want me
    Any time at all
    Any time you need me
    All you gotta do is call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

BPKS wrote: »
    One love, we don't need another love
    One love, one heart and one soul
    We can have it all
    Easy peasy

Any time you want me
    Any time at all
    Any time you need me
    All you gotta do is call

I don't have to sell my soul, he's already in me.

I wanna be adored.

...end of song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,693 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can't get excited about this at all. It's not bad but it's in no way great. The lyrics are pretty crap and I can't get away from that really... it has a nice groove to it and I like Squire's guitar work but it just is too sonically like some of their previous output. It could really be an outtake or an unreleased track from either previous record.. hopefully better and more interesting things to come and they just decided to lead off with the 'catchy' pop song type number.... having said that things don't usually go well with bands reforming after all these years especially when it comes to new material... we shall see..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Hmmmm, it sort of hit me the way the new Star Wars film did, it wasn't horrible, I actually liked it but something was off about it, and I can't really explain it.

Probably the crappiest review ever but there ya go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Beside of me, all over me
    Behind of me, right in front of me
    Inside of me, for I to see
    In harmony, all one family

:D

^^
    I should've elaborated. What I meant there, was that, that part of the song is great.
    In and around the second verse near the end onwards
    But the repetition at the start... Not so much.
    I've only been listening to it occasionally, having heard it roughly 4 or 5 times, as I didn't want to overplay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Yeah, anyone saying this is a great song or anywhere near the Stone Roses' at their best is basing that assertion purely on reputation and past productions. It's a nothing song. And you're quite right in your assertion.

As for Suede, they may laugh in the face of that assertion, but they will never come close to producing something like the Roses' eponomyous album.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Canadel wrote: »
    Yeah, anyone saying this is a great song or anywhere near the Stone Roses' at their best is basing that assertion purely on reputation and past productions. It's a nothing song. And you're quite right in your assertion.

As for Suede, they may laugh in the face of that assertion, but they will never come close to producing something like the Roses' eponomyous album.
    It's all opinions but for me Dog Man Star is a much better album than the Roses debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

It's all opinions but for me Dog Man Star is a much better album than the Roses debut.
    Fair enough, it's subjective. Though I'd argue the Roses debut has received wider critical acclaim and has had a larger cultural and musical impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Come on, Bloodsports wasnt much to write home about was it? Night Thoughts is a different story however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I like it a lot! Waaay better than the first single imo.

Advertisement