Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mangrove Jacks Wheat beer yeast

• 02-05-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Anybody have experience brewing with the Mangrove Jacks Wheat Beer yeast.
    Made a Schneider Weisse Clone on Friday.
    It took off like a monster within 12 hours but it has seemed to have stalled.
    Took a gravity reading this morning and its just above 1.02

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Using this yeast at the moment actually. Rehydrated and it took off like a rocket. Gravity reading have been as follows:

OG - 25.04.2016 - 1.043
    SG - 29.04.2016 - 1.012
    FG - 02.05.2016 - 1.012

I've used this yeast before and had similar results. What are your fermentation conditions like?

I ferment @ 22 C to bring out more banana character than clove, then ramp up to 24 C after primary fermentation is done to allow the yeast to clean up. My fermenter is temperature controlled throughout and I don't stray more than +/- 0.2 C of my target temperature.

If you have been fermenting at the lower end of the scale, try twisting the fermenter back and forth a few times to rouse the yeast (don't shake or splash, you don't want to introduce oxygen) then ramp up the temperature to ~23 C if you can for another week. You could even go a little higher if you like, the yeast is supposedly tolerant up to 28 C This should allow the yeast to finish up whatever sugar is left.

Edit: Just realised you only brewed this on Friday. No need to panic yet. What was your OG? Take another reading next Friday before concluding that it's stalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 brianbrewed

The OG was 1.054.
    Not entirely sure what the temp is at to be honest but I have a brew belt around it for night time and it gets quite warm in the room during the day.
    Will wait till friday until my next gravity reading.
    All airlock activity seems to have stopped.
    I know that this doen't mean that the yeast has stopped working but I am a worrier by nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

OK I just did a post, but maybe I should have read this post.

Also used Mangrove Jack but the witbier yeast.

Doing a Witbier, took off like a rocket but seems almost stagnant, interesting to see how you get on.

SG 03/05 1040
    SG 07/05 1016
    SG 10/05 1014

I know it usually takes about 2 weeks but I'm also a bit of a worrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 brianbrewed

stringy wrote: »

Doing a Witbier, took off like a rocket but seems almost stagnant, interesting to see how you get on.

SG 03/05 1040
    SG 07/05 1016
    SG 10/05 1014

I gave mine a shake and put it in a warmer enviroment and the it is still stalled at 1.020.
    Thinking of just kegging it and repitching on the yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

stringy wrote: »

SG 03/05 1040
    SG 07/05 1016
    SG 10/05 1014

I gave mine a shake and put it in a warmer enviroment and the it is still stalled at 1.020.
    Thinking of just kegging it and repitching on the yeast.
    Did you brew your beer all-grain? How controlled was your mash temp?

• Advertisement
Advertisement