Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First solo brew. Did I **** it up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Can't multi quote on the phone here but I'll try answer some of your thoughts.

It's definately a more expensive brew based on the volume of hops but I'm ok with that just as a sure give it a go kind of thing.

I don't use brew software but will give it a go soon. I kinda want to get a feel for it myself first before using the computer. I'd be the same with cooking.

As for gunk from the hops your probably right. I've heard since I brewed I could have used nylon painters bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 brianbrewed

In all fairness the beer will probably taste fantastic.
    My only concern that if you Dry Hopped with another different Hop variety there may have been too many Flavours/tastes clashing.

Hopefully the fermentation goes well.
    Lets us know how it tastes and looks also.

In all fairness the beer will probably taste fantastic.
    My only concern that if you Dry Hopped with another different Hop variety there may have been too many Flavours/tastes clashing.

Hopefully the fermentation goes well.
    Lets us know how it tastes and looks also.

Yeah not sure about dry hopping yet but will think about it. I see what you're saying though.

I went in earlier to the shed to get the peco to put on another brew with my mate and there's quite a nice smell of hops now in the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you have 40g of Citra and Simcoe and 60 of Armarillo then no harm in throwing them in for dry hop

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

did you bottle/keg this yet?

• Advertisement

Slevster wrote: »
    did you bottle/keg this yet?

I was hoping to have it done this weekend but something came up.

Instead it'll be this weekend coming or if in the unlikely event of me having the time after work some evening I might get it done then.

So yeah not done yet but I'll post when I do to let ye know is it ****ed or not.

So it's been 5 weeks I think since I brewed this odd IPA.

Some pictures attached. I don't know how to embed them into the page sorry.
    I'm posting from an iPhone.

It had a bit of what looks like hop crap on top and obviously piles at the bottom due to the hop levels used.

Maybe bacteria ?

It smelt fine and tasted fine so hopefully it's fine.

We'll see in 3 or 4 weeks I suppose.

The last picture is of a different IPA we brewed. That particular bottle was fairly cloudy most likely from the bottom of the bucket. Still tasted nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Looks fine, stick the bottles in the fridge for a day or two before drinking and they should clear up a fair bit (and obviously pour them gently and stop before pouring out the sediment!).

Treadhead wrote: »
    Looks fine, stick the bottles in the fridge for a day or two before drinking and they should clear up a fair bit (and obviously pour them gently and stop before pouring out the sediment!).

Hopefully you're right.

If it does work out ok I can't wait to see what it tastes like after all the late hop additions.

Hopefully you're right.

If it does work out ok I can't wait to see what it tastes like after all the late hop additions.

How did they turn out?

• Advertisement

Slevster wrote: »
    How did they turn out?

Turned out really nice in the end. Seriously fruity on the nose.

I'd probably put a few hops in at 15 mins the next time to develop the flavour a bit more but other than that really really drinkable.

We did an IPA a few weeks back that was nearly a green brew we put in so many hops. If it turns out nice I'll write up the recipe. Should turn out about 7% and a seriously west coast style IPA.

Turned out really nice in the end. Seriously fruity on the nose.

I'd probably put a few hops in at 15 mins the next time to develop the flavour a bit more but other than that really really drinkable.

We did an IPA a few weeks back that was nearly a green brew we put in so many hops. If it turns out nice I'll write up the recipe. Should turn out about 7% and a seriously west coast style IPA.

Good to hear. Was it bitter? Palate get fatigued quickly? When you say fruity- in a pleasant fresh fruit way, or a something about to turn way

Advertisement