Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

RainyDay wrote: »
    Sorry, but do you understand even the very basics of financial controls and governance. Organisations like TCD and major insurers don't handle each others' money to 'avoid hassle'. This is an absolutely ludicrous suggestion, and would expose either party to charges of money laundering and tax fraud.

Yes, organisations can make payroll deductions by agreement with employees, usually when there are tax implications of the deduction (union subs or pension payments) and pass on those deductions collectively, but it is a huge leap to suggest that organisations would pay out someone else's money.

You don't understand how payroll systems in the public sector work, especialy for pre-1995 employees who paid (and continue to pay for the rest of their careers) modified PRSI. They have no entitlement to social welfare benefits, so once sick pay is exhausted they have no entitlement to DSP illness benefit, this is why voluntary income continuance plans paid by the employee from their income are common. Once sick pay from the employer is exhausted, all they're entitled to otherwise is 'pension rate of pay' which is based on accumulated years of service. Unless reasonably close to retirement age this will be well below the actual pension payable as it is acturarily reduced by each year before retirement age as well as being based on an incomplete record of pension contributions. This may be well below the social assistance rate so those forced to retire on illness grounds who have not paid into a private plan can be forced to apply to the community welfare officer for assistance. So much for public sector perks, eh?

To add insult to injury, the employee contribution of the 'modified PRSI' rate is now the same as full class A PRSI, but has no entitlement to benefits at all, and no DSP old age pension.

Doesn't require you to stand up for long periods? Is that really your best shot?

Not my decision, take it up with the private sector insurance company involved. The fact remains that being a senator is decidedly a part-time job and less demanding than being a full-time lecturer.

My only agenda is that I don't like to see people abusing disability pensions.

That terminology makes it sound like a social welfare benefit and is misleading.
    Tell you what, you prove ME wrong and I will be happy to stand corrected.

You first, you made an unsubstantiated claim and have not substantiated it, all other posts are in response to yours so the ball very much remains in your court.
    No, I didn't miss anything, but thanks for proving my point nicely. If this was private policy, the college would have no role in 'retiring him' or moving him onto a pension or anything else. It would an entirely private matter for him to decide what to do, when to do it and to collect his income from the insurance company. But you clearly understand and confirmed that the college had a substantial role in this issue, which confirms their responsibility for the insurance policy.

Yes, he could decide not to claim, so if he fails to be elected he can live on a pittance from TCD - or he could claim the benefits he'd voluntarily paid for. WTF?
    I reckon it is greedy to claim on a publicly funded disability policy while working 16 hours days (see link above) in another publicly funded body.

Not publicly funded :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

No, I didn't miss anything, but thanks for proving my point nicely. If this was private policy, the college would have no role in 'retiring him' or moving him onto a pension or anything else. It would an entirely private matter for him to decide what to do, when to do it and to collect his income from the insurance company. But you clearly understand and confirmed that the college had a substantial role in this issue, which confirms their responsibility for the insurance policy.
    Not really; it is up to the College (and him) if he retires at anything other than a mandatory retirement age. And the College couldn't replace him as a lecturer as long as he was on a disability allowance, but could if he retired.
    "He was unable to return to his academic duties as a result, and had been advised by Trinity College – where he was still on the payroll, though he had been in the Seanad for five years before that – to apply for “permanent disability”. He was therefore replaced by another member of staff and had been put on a disability pension by the college."
    That's right, I asked you what the difference is? If I'm missing something obvious about the difference between two office jobs in the same industry with similar sized teams from an occ health point of view, feel free to point it out to me. If not, you might want to stop digging.
    So, you make a claim about what is feasible from an from an occupational health point of view, but it's my expertise that needs testing? I'm afraid not... establish the credibility of your own statements before you ask someone to prove they're not unreasonable. And if you can't show you've at least some experience in assessing occupational health matters exactly, access to this mans health assessments, and a reason we should believe you're more competent than the assessors at his insurance company, then what I (and you) think is the difference between the roles is irrelevant, because we (ie you) know nothing about his capability.
    I reckon it is greedy to claim on a publicly funded disability policy while working 16 hours days (see link above) in another publicly funded body.
    But do you think it's greedy to claim money you're due from insurance you paid for yourself and have been assessed as appropriately eligible for whilst working in another job? Is you assessment of greed entirely based on your imagining of public funds being involved? Is it not equally greedy to do the same thing with your own money?
    Yes, that's right - 63%, which is why I said 'about 2/3rds' in my post. And what is all this about part-time Senators and full-time Senators. We don't have different grades of Senators. We just have Senators.
    Hmm... may I draw your attention to the word 'core' used in Trinitys statements? So not actually '2/3rd of Trinity's income' as you said. But still; you've acknowledged Trinity is not just paying out of 'public funds' so that's a start.
    We don't have different grades of Senators; from '87 to '94 Senator Norris was both a Senator and a lecturer. So why are you telling us he "took his disability pension from Trinity while working full-time in the Senate"? Did he suddenly go from part time to full time after '94?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Lurkio wrote: »
    ....while claiming disability, apparently. He also does nixers cleaning gutters in the summer.

Does he have his own ladders?
    My house needs painting and he might do me a deal - the ol quaire discount like ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

From the people who complain about being silenced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

From the people who complain about being silenced.

I'm always amazed how Iona can claim they're being silenced while having a platform on our national media, and can be heard spewing their shady US-funded agenda from our TV, Radio and newspapers, have their talking heads automatically represented in any debate because """""balance""""", not to mention social media, yet still have the audacity to shout "Help, we're being oppressed!"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Everyone knows that if Sabina Higgins had said she was pro-life David Quinn would be nothing but praise for the brave, moral Sabina Higgins who is rightfully using her position to advocate a pro-life message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Offensive is a word I wish we could expunge from our lexicon in these kinds of discussions, the issue isn't that their contributions offend anyone, it's that they're wrong, misleading and arguing to keep a status quo that directly negatively impacts other people in society, be that women, LGBT people, or anyone who does follow the same creed as Iona. Of course can be said that the lies and duplicity spouted by them is indeed offensive, but that's really secondary to what people are reacting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Does he have his own ladders?
    My house needs painting and he might do me a deal - the ol quaire discount like ;)

Only does work on houses in North Great Georges street

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

In case you're free next month. Still complaining about last May.

https://twitter.com/RudyHellzapop/status/730905204921647108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

In case you're free next month. Still complaining about last May.

https://twitter.com/RudyHellzapop/status/730905204921647108

Thief! Thief! I made that joke ages ago when poor aul John was incarcerated for 45 minutes for not paying a parking fine and then compared himself to Vaclav Havel.

uY6aoPR.jpg

The moment he was captured.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He was hit by a monster ping pong ball from outer space? :confused:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He was hit by a monster ping pong ball from outer space? :confused:

He is not a number.
    He is a free man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'm holding out for free biscuits. "Free entry" just doesn't cut it, not when you'd have to sit through 2 hours of JW trying to talk the hind legs off a donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

recedite wrote: »
    I'm holding out for free biscuits. "Free entry" just doesn't cut it, not when you'd have to sit through 2 hours of JW trying to talk the hind legs off a donkey.

I suppose there's no chance of a Hawaiian pizza?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

No chance, no.
    It is the Davenport Hotel after all, and even though they are renting the room out to JW, they still have their standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

lazygal wrote: »
    I suppose there's no chance of a Hawaiian pizza?

None of your liberal agenda on that menu, I'll tell ye.

Lurkio wrote: »
    None of your liberal agenda on that menu, I'll tell ye.

Is the lobby even just a little gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Is the lobby even just a little gay?

This place probably doesn't even have a lobby at all - just to be on the safe side. But all day free parking if you're a beardy weirdy with initials J. W.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

We've had the gay agenda, now its the commuting and transport agenda. Gay buses everywhere.

We've had the gay agenda, now its the commuting and transport agenda. Gay buses everywhere.

There goes the fecking time table so :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭100cent

Maria Steen rendered Colm O'Gorman speechless on the Pat Kenny radio show a couple of days ago.

When asked by Maria what is wrong with cherishing the lives of mother and baby equally as the 8th enshrines, poor Colm has no answer, dead air for seconds that is only broken by Pat saving Colm's bacon. :D

https:// www .youtube.com/watch?v=X66cIgdcfGs

As a regular contributor of a humble financial donation, I am delighted with Iona's service to our nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

100cent wrote: »
    As a regular contributor of a humble financial donation, I am delighted with Iona's service to our nation.

They actually serve a foreign power, the Vatican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

100cent wrote: »

You need to donate more, they'll never enforce their religion on the population if they keep failing.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    They actually serve a foreign power, the Vatican.

I'd be down with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

You need to donate more, they'll never enforce their religion on the population if they keep failing.

100cent ain't much tbf

I play my part. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Advertisement