Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHTF Home First Aid Kit

• 13-04-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests I'm talking about a home kit, no limit on the size, items to cover every eventually

What should be in it ??

What shouldn't

& what have you in yours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

hexosan wrote: »
    As the title suggests I'm talking about a home kit, no limit on the size, items to cover every eventually

What should be in it ??

What shouldn't

& what have you in yours.
    At a car boot sale I picked up a pair of crutches and a military folding stretcher which I used as a ground mat camping
    N95 masks goggles that are also used when sanding or grinding plastic sheeting also used when painting general items are like the basic fist aid thread just larger amounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I don't think there is anything that shouldn't be in a SHTF home first aid kit? If you can fit in an operating table then fine, you might not be able to use it but someone else might be able to.

I'll list a few things that I keep in stock because I buy stuff very cheap in the UK so I hardly notice the cost.

Lemsip (generic version) *
    Paracetamol *
    Ibuprofen *
    Day nurse (generic version)
    Night nurse (generic version)
    Asprin
    Multivitamins < whats your SHTF diet going to be like? *
    Generic NSAI cream (volterol type of thing)*
    Antihistamine cream *
    Antiseptic cream *
    Tea tree oil
    Cough medicine
    Mouth wash
    Athletes foot powder (also for groin and armpits) *
    Antihistamine tablets * (without them I'd dissolve in ......)

* items are the ones I consider important

A few other things I consider useful
    Thermometer
    Eye bath
    Mouth to mouth resuscitation mask

By no means a complete list and one thing on my list to add are some "Israeli" bandages.

On a side note I have a medical instruments steriliser from the Vietnam war in the shed. I only have it as I was fixing the burner for someone who collects medical instruments.

colesterilizer.jpg
    (Picture stolen from http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/coleusstovemid50present.html)

I think we need to consider what this first aid kit if going to be used for? Is it for personal family use only and is it in addition to proper medical intervention or as a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I'd say family use first but in a shtf situation you'd want yourself covered as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Prescription meds is also a big one if it's possible to get extra supply I would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Books,

basic medical books such as those carried on board commercial vessels are very interesting.

Scalpel, blades for same.

Tweezers.

Superglue.

Isopropyl Alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Another way other than superglue to close a wound like paper stitches or a needle and proper stitching thread. I found out recently how useful these were when i had a spill off my bike and opend up my shin. The paper stitches were in my fak for ages and i thought id never use them but they came in very handy.

Superglue is good in a pinch but you dont want to seal in an infection

I rather like this idea from prepperlinks
    Medical Kits

There are varying levels of medical kits. I group these kits into four categories: Personal Medical Kit, Short-Term Medical Kit, Long-Term Medical Kit, and Bulk Medical Storage.

So if we go with that system then here we are talking about two things Long-Term Medical Kit, and Bulk Medical Storage.

That system also implies that everyone has a Personal Medical Kit and Short-Term Medical Kits are readily available. The reason I state this is you may have too big a Long-Term Medical Kit to take it to where its needed. If there aren't other medical kits near to the emergency then you are going to have to grab what you think you need from the Long-Term Medical Kit or have your Long-Term Medical Kit subdivided into smaller kits for say, Burns, Trauma, Minor Cuts and Bruises etc ready for use.

In an emergency if you need to move then this division of medical kits allows you to take a kit with you suitable to your means of transport.

Edit> Bottom of the page linked to above has pdf doc with list to get you started http://www.prepperlink.com/index.php/survive/medical/item/download/8_12e9b1dca268573873c65f26a8b202f6 .

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tc556guy

My home first aid stuff consists of a plastic tote filled with the accumulated medical stuff I've needed over the years
    Since you aren't constrained by portability issues the sky's the limit
    All of the typical gauze, bandages, bandaids, ointments, medications, etc that you need over the months and years get tossed in there.
    I go through it maybe once a year and toss out any clearly unusable stuff.
    The ex wife would get all bent out of shape over expiration dates on medications.
    I find it just loses some potency so I keep it and just use more of it when I need some....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

The Us military did a study on stockpiled meds, and found that they retained their effectiveness for years after the exp date ( 20 years +), I'm sure if you do a google search you'll find more info. Don't forget to include a stethoscope and BP cuff. (they can be picked up reasonably priced online, sprague type stethoscopes are quite good and reasonably priced. A pulse oximeter is a good piece of kit (mine cost STG£10 online and is accurate as the clinical model we use at work). Most of the otc meds are much cheaper up North.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I came across a great tip recently. Surgical paper tape to stop blisters forming.
    But new research by Stanford University medical Centre found a roll of surgical tape, sold for as little as 60 pence on the high street, was the answer.

The tape is used to hold dressings in place or alone for minor cuts and grazes and is only mildly adhesive.

When applied to blister-prone areas prior to exercise, the tape successfully prevented both the incidence and frequency of foot blisters.

And it had the advantage of not tearing the blisters if they do occur.

Clinical Associate Professor in emergency medicine Dr Grant Lipman was spurred on to find a solution after working for endurance runners completing 25 to 50 miles a day.

Despite the gruelling races, the most common complaint was about the pain and hindrance blisters caused.

He said: "What I kept hearing was 'Doctor, I'd be doing so well, if only for my feet.' Their feet were getting decimated.

"People have been doing studies on blister prevention for 30 or 40 years and never found anything easy that works.

"I wanted to look at this critically."

He drew on anecdotal evidence from both athletes and army recruits that the paper tape method could provide the best answer.

The study recruited 128 runners participating in the 155-mile, six-stage RacingThePlanet ultramarathon event that crosses deserts around the globe, including the Gobi Desert and deserts in Jordan and Madagascar.

Paper tape was applied to just one of each of the runners' feet with the other foot acting as a control.

The tape was applied by trained medical assistants to either the participants' blister-prone areas or, if they had no blister history, to randomly selected locations on the foot.

The paper tape was applied in a smooth, single layer before the race and at subsequent stages of the race.

The medical assistants followed the runners for 155 miles over seven days.

For 98 of the 128 runners, no blisters formed where the tape had been applied, whereas 81 of the 128 got blisters in untaped areas.

Prof Lipman said: "It's kind of a ridiculously cheap, easy method of blister prevention. You can get it anywhere.

"The best way to make it to the finish line is by taking care of your feet."
    http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Cheap-cure-banish-8203-agony-blisters-gets/story-29090046-detail/story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

No harm having some DEET in the first aid kit and a tweezers.

Deet to help keep ticks off you thus help in preventing catching lyme disease caused by a bacterium in the tick.

The tick must be attached for 36 to 48 hours or more before the Lyme disease bacterium can be transmitted

Tweezers to remove the tick.

If catch it the following antibiotics to treat it, doxycycline, amoxicillin, or cefuroxime axetil .

http://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/health-features/hse-issues-warning-on-lyme-disease-34681914.html

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/treatment/index.html

I think its too late once you have Lyme disease its one of those nasties that hang around and is very hard to shake off so very good idea not to get it in the first place.

It's said early aggressive and longer term antibiotics treatment is often successful.

But the best medicine is prevention.

https://www.lymedisease.org/lyme-basics/lyme-disease/treatment/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lyme-disease/basics/treatment/con-20019701

wolfeye wrote: »
    It's said early aggressive and longer term antibiotics treatment is often successful.

But the best medicine is prevention.

https://www.lymedisease.org/lyme-basics/lyme-disease/treatment/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lyme-disease/basics/treatment/con-20019701

I looked into this a long time ago when I worked in an area where Lyme disease was a possibility (on the edge of a large heathland with bracken and dear) because I had odd symptoms that could have indicated Lyme disease.

From the links it looks like an easy diagnosis but iirc the biggest problem is diagnosing Lyme disease.

If I was in an area with deer or found a tick on me and developed lyme disease type symptoms shortly afterwards i'd start the antibiotics before getting the lab results back.

Symptoms: Rash 3 to 30 days afterwards ,possibly bulls eye pattern rash.
    Flu like symptoms.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Lad I know bought one of these and he's very happy with it - http://store.doomandbloom.net/medical-and-dental-kits/ultimate-family-medical-survival-bag/

Warning - $749

Khannie wrote: »
    Lad I know bought one of these and he's very happy with it - http://store.doomandbloom.net/medical-and-dental-kits/ultimate-family-medical-survival-bag/

Warning - $749

Worth listing the contents of that one as its well thought out, most people would have a lot more of some items but still a good list.

This is what this kit will care for:

Fractures/sprains
    Bleeding mild-severe
    Traumatic wounds
    Wound closure
    Hypothermia/Hyperthermia
    Dehydration
    Shock
    Hypoglycemia
    Splinters/debris removal
    Dental care/anesthetic/cavity filler/and tooth extraction
    Eye Care
    CPR
    colds/flu/cough/sore throat/lung congestion
    aches and pains
    allergies/allergic reactions
    skin irritations
    digestive upsets/ nausea/ vomiting
    constipation/diarrhea
    bug bites/ bee stings/ contact dermatitis( poison ivy/oak/)
    burns mild-severe/sunburn
    minor cuts, scrapes and lacerations
    headaches, sinus congestion
    stress and anxiety
    sleeplessness/insomnia
    oral hygiene
    surface disinfectant
    insect repellent
    Fire Starter materials
    Light Source

Trauma and Bleeding Supplies:

1 SOF-T Tactical Tourniquet (NEW 12/08/14) Excellent tourniquet for bleeding
    1 CELOX-A APPLICATOR (for major external bleeding)- New 10/6/15
    1 Styptic Pencil (proven to help stop minor bleeding)
    1 Cayenne Pepper Packet Large Size (may help with: applied in a wound for mild- moderate external bleeding)
    8 Oral BERMAN AIRWAYS from pediatric to large adult sizes- Used to prevent airway blockage from allergic reactions while benadryl or an epi-pen is administered
    1 CPR PTP II Pro-Valve deluxe protection mask
    10 Ammonia inhalants (1 box of 10)
    1 Israeli/Emergency Bandage 6-inch

Personal Protection Supplies:

4 Nitrile Hypoallergenic Sterile Large gloves size 8 (2 pair)
    40 Nitrile Hypoallergenic Non-sterile gloves
    1 Scrub Brush Hand/Nails
    1 Hand Sanitizer
    5 N-95 masks (for use by the "medic" when caring for sneezing or coughing patients)
    10 Surgical Ear Loop masks (for use of the sick patient to contain viral or bacterial droplets)
    5 Bio Hazard Red Bags

DRESSINGS AND ANTISEPTICS:

1 Raw Unprocessed Honey 3.5 oz.
    40 Gauze 12ply 4” x 4" Sterile (known as “Four by Fours”)
    2 Multi-Trauma STERILE dressings Extra Large size 10" x 30"
    200· Non-sterile gauze 12 ply (extra thick) 4” x 4" - Large "Brick", gauze can be used to stop bleeding and for cleaning wounds
    10 Combine/ABD Pads STERILE (abdominal dressing) 5" x 9"
    20 Telfa/Non-Stick gauze STERILE 3” x 4” (excellent for burn dressings)
    12 Rolled Kerlix gauze 6"
    1 Coban, Sensi Wrap, or Self-Adherent Wrap (great to hold dressings onto extremities without tape)
    2 Blood-Stopper STERILE Dressings (1 ABD pad and 2 kerlix rolls attaches)
    1 XEROFORM Occlusive/Petrolatum Dressing 5" x 9"
    1 Sterile OR Towel
    1 Sterile Lap Sponge
    20 Alcohol pads (great for cleaning instruments or your hands before putting on gloves)
    20 BZK Antiseptic wipes (studies show this wipe used after animal bites may decrease rabies transmission)
    20 Betadine packets (add 1 or 2 wipes to "drinkable" water for an antiseptic solution)
    6 Betadine Swab sticks
    1 Hydrogen Peroxide 3% large bottle 4 oz. (recommended as a gum and oral hygiene mouth wash)
    1 Hibiclens Antiseptic Wash packet 15ml
    1 Silver First Aid Solution Topical Treatment
    1 Triple-Antibiotic Ointment Tube .33oz

WOUND CLOSURE MATERIALS/SUPPLIES:

160 Cotton balls/squares/Q-tips combo
    20 Cotton Tipped Applicators, Sterile (2 per package x 10)
    1 Paper tape 1" x 10 yards
    1 Cloth tapes 1" x 10 yards
    1 Duct tape 2" x 5 yards
    4 Chux waterproof pads (for use as a clean area to lay out medical supplies in an austere location)
    1 60 cc wound irrigation syringe (excellent for strong irrigation and cleaning of wounds)
    100 Assorted sizes of bandages
    5 Ex Large Bandaids
    3 Super Glue packets or 2 larger size packets
    1 Skin Stapler STERILE disposable with 35 regular staples
    1 Skin Stapler STERILE remover
    2 Adson Forceps (for use during stapling)
    1 Suture Kit in Sterile Package:
    1 Adson's Forceps
    1 Needle Driver/Holder
    1 Suture Scissors
    1 Curved Kelly Clamp
    5 Sterile Field and Drapes, gauze
    *** 2 sided Picture Instruction Sheet for Suturing***
    plus 4 nitrile gloves, 2 betadine wipes and 1 antibiotic cream
    24 Steri-strips ½” x 4” (x4 envelopes of 6 strips)
    1 Benzoin Tincture
    2 Nylon sterile sutures 2-0/3-0 (Non-Absorbing)
    2 Silk sterile sutures 2-0 (Non-Absorbing)
    2 Vicryl sterile sutures 2-0 (Absorbing)
    2 Chromic sterile sutures 4-0 (Absorbing)

INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT:

1 Head Lamp w/Batteries included
    1 Blood-Pressure Cuff &
    1 Stethoscope
    1 Thermometer
    2 Scalpels- STERILE
    1 Doctor's Pen light
    1 Magnifying glass (true glass)
    All Instruments are 100% Stainless Steel:
    1 Bandage scissors 7.25" - HEAVY duty ALL METAL (NO plastic)
    1 Mayo Scissors
    1 Tweezers, metal
    1 Iris/nail scissors
    1 Curved Kelly clamp
    1 Straight Hemostat/Kelly clamp

DENTAL EQUIPMENT:

2 Dental Extractors #150 and #151
    (upper bicuspid #150, lower bicuspid #151)
    1 #301 Dental Elevator all metal
    1 Dental Scraper/Pick combo all metal
    1 Clove oil -Organic
    1 Zinc-Oxide powder Large Packet
    1 Dental mirror- stainless steel handle
    6 Pill cups
    10 Tongue depressors
    100 Dental Picks, disposable
    1 Dental Floss Johnson and Johnson Mint Pack (at least 55 yards
    1 ORAL ANALGESIC with 20% Benzocaine

ORTHOPEDIC/SKIN/Hypo or Hyperthermia SUPPLIES:

1 Cervical Collar 3" - universal size
    4 Ace Wrap 4" bandages w/clips
    4 Triangular bandages + Safety pins
    1 Splint 4" x 36"- padded conforming (commonly called "sam" splint material)
    1 Splint Finger Size - padded conforming
    2 disposable Ice packs
    2 Reusable Hot/Cold Packs
    2 Back Pain Relief Patches
    1 Muscle Rub
    1 Fels Naptha, Poison Ivy/Oak Soap
    12 Sting Relief Wipes
    1 Soap Bar (important for daily hygiene and sanitation)
    2 Moleskin Dr Scholl's extra thick padded squares 3" x 5"
    4 Emergency Solar/MYLAR blankets
    1 Gold Bond® Medicated body powder
    1 Lip balm
    1 Sunscreen SPF 30 4oz
    1 ·Burn Jel large bottle 4 oz.- Lidocaine HCl 2.0 % (excellent burn treatment with lidocaine)
    1 Athlete's foot cream
    1 A & D Cream
    1 Hydrocortisone Cream
    1 Petroleum Jelly

EYE ISSUE SUPPLIES:

1 Eyewash 4 oz.
    1 Eyecup
    4 Eye pads

WATER/REHYDRATION SUPPLIES:

2 Waterproof Matches Box
    50 POTABLE AQUA(tm) Water purification/ Germicidal tablets
    2 GATORADE G2 Rehydration Powders
    8 Rehydration Salt Packets (World Health Organization formula)
    1 Emergency Water Bag 8L

NURSE AMY’S ORGANIC SALVES:

1 Arnica Salve large 2 oz tin
    1 Calendula Salve large 2 oz tin
    1 Eucalyptus Salve large 2 oz tin

OTHER NATURAL AND HERBAL SUPPLIES:
    16 ORGANIC Teas, 4 Bags each:
    Chamomile, Echinacea, Ginger, Senna
    10 Lemon Powder packets
    5 ORGANIC Premium Essential Oils (1/4oz each- 5 bottles total):
    *Eucalyptus,
    *Lavender,
    *Peppermint,
    *Rosemary,
    *Tea Tree
    1 Pain Tincture, ORGANIC Herbal Remedy 1oz.
    1 Sleep Tincture, ORGANIC Herbal Remedy 1oz.

ADDITIONAL MEDICATIONS:

1 Bag Throat/Cough lozenges
    40 Acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) (aka paracetamol)
    60 Aspirin
    36 Diphenhydramine (generic benadryl) (an antihistamine)
    40 Ibuprofen (generic advil)
    60 Antacid tablets
    12 Anti-diarrheal
    25 Laxative tablets
    24 Non-Drowsy Nasal Decongestant (phenylephrine HCl 10mg)

1 Doom and Bloom™ Embroidered Velcro Patch
    1 VooDoo Tactical Special OPS Medical Backpack

Warning - $749

Was looking at that kit and thinking what a crazy price,then looking at contents which looks excellent.
    Then again i'm paying for Health insurance over 749 euro a year ,so think i'll reduce health insurance to basic or cancel for year and that kit is paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tc556guy

my3cents wrote: »

Warning - $749

Worth listing the contents of that one as its well thought out, most people would have a lot more of some items but still a good list.

This is what this kit will care for:

Fractures/sprains
    Bleeding mild-severe
    Traumatic wounds
    Wound closure
    Hypothermia/Hyperthermia
    Dehydration
    Shock
    Hypoglycemia
    Splinters/debris removal
    Dental care/anesthetic/cavity filler/and tooth extraction
    Eye Care
    CPR
    colds/flu/cough/sore throat/lung congestion
    aches and pains
    allergies/allergic reactions
    skin irritations
    digestive upsets/ nausea/ vomiting
    constipation/diarrhea
    bug bites/ bee stings/ contact dermatitis( poison ivy/oak/)
    burns mild-severe/sunburn
    minor cuts, scrapes and lacerations
    headaches, sinus congestion
    stress and anxiety
    sleeplessness/insomnia
    oral hygiene
    surface disinfectant
    insect repellent
    Fire Starter materials
    Light Source

Trauma and Bleeding Supplies:

1 SOF-T Tactical Tourniquet (NEW 12/08/14) Excellent tourniquet for bleeding
    1 CELOX-A APPLICATOR (for major external bleeding)- New 10/6/15
    1 Styptic Pencil (proven to help stop minor bleeding)
    1 Cayenne Pepper Packet Large Size (may help with: applied in a wound for mild- moderate external bleeding)
    8 Oral BERMAN AIRWAYS from pediatric to large adult sizes- Used to prevent airway blockage from allergic reactions while benadryl or an epi-pen is administered
    1 CPR PTP II Pro-Valve deluxe protection mask
    10 Ammonia inhalants (1 box of 10)
    1 Israeli/Emergency Bandage 6-inch

Personal Protection Supplies:

4 Nitrile Hypoallergenic Sterile Large gloves size 8 (2 pair)
    40 Nitrile Hypoallergenic Non-sterile gloves
    1 Scrub Brush Hand/Nails
    1 Hand Sanitizer
    5 N-95 masks (for use by the "medic" when caring for sneezing or coughing patients)
    10 Surgical Ear Loop masks (for use of the sick patient to contain viral or bacterial droplets)
    5 Bio Hazard Red Bags

DRESSINGS AND ANTISEPTICS:

1 Raw Unprocessed Honey 3.5 oz.
    40 Gauze 12ply 4 x 4" Sterile (known as Four by Fours )
    2 Multi-Trauma STERILE dressings Extra Large size 10" x 30"
    200 Non-sterile gauze 12 ply (extra thick) 4 x 4" - Large "Brick", gauze can be used to stop bleeding and for cleaning wounds
    10 Combine/ABD Pads STERILE (abdominal dressing) 5" x 9"
    20 Telfa/Non-Stick gauze STERILE 3 x 4 (excellent for burn dressings)
    12 Rolled Kerlix gauze 6"
    1 Coban, Sensi Wrap, or Self-Adherent Wrap (great to hold dressings onto extremities without tape)
    2 Blood-Stopper STERILE Dressings (1 ABD pad and 2 kerlix rolls attaches)
    1 XEROFORM Occlusive/Petrolatum Dressing 5" x 9"
    1 Sterile OR Towel
    1 Sterile Lap Sponge
    20 Alcohol pads (great for cleaning instruments or your hands before putting on gloves)
    20 BZK Antiseptic wipes (studies show this wipe used after animal bites may decrease rabies transmission)
    20 Betadine packets (add 1 or 2 wipes to "drinkable" water for an antiseptic solution)
    6 Betadine Swab sticks
    1 Hydrogen Peroxide 3% large bottle 4 oz. (recommended as a gum and oral hygiene mouth wash)
    1 Hibiclens Antiseptic Wash packet 15ml
    1 Silver First Aid Solution Topical Treatment
    1 Triple-Antibiotic Ointment Tube .33oz

WOUND CLOSURE MATERIALS/SUPPLIES:

160 Cotton balls/squares/Q-tips combo
    20 Cotton Tipped Applicators, Sterile (2 per package x 10)
    1 Paper tape 1" x 10 yards
    1 Cloth tapes 1" x 10 yards
    1 Duct tape 2" x 5 yards
    4 Chux waterproof pads (for use as a clean area to lay out medical supplies in an austere location)
    1 60 cc wound irrigation syringe (excellent for strong irrigation and cleaning of wounds)
    100 Assorted sizes of bandages
    5 Ex Large Bandaids
    3 Super Glue packets or 2 larger size packets
    1 Skin Stapler STERILE disposable with 35 regular staples
    1 Skin Stapler STERILE remover
    2 Adson Forceps (for use during stapling)
    1 Suture Kit in Sterile Package:
    1 Adson's Forceps
    1 Needle Driver/Holder
    1 Suture Scissors
    1 Curved Kelly Clamp
    5 Sterile Field and Drapes, gauze
    *** 2 sided Picture Instruction Sheet for Suturing***
    plus 4 nitrile gloves, 2 betadine wipes and 1 antibiotic cream
    24 Steri-strips x 4 (x4 envelopes of 6 strips)
    1 Benzoin Tincture
    2 Nylon sterile sutures 2-0/3-0 (Non-Absorbing)
    2 Silk sterile sutures 2-0 (Non-Absorbing)
    2 Vicryl sterile sutures 2-0 (Absorbing)
    2 Chromic sterile sutures 4-0 (Absorbing)

INSTRUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT:

1 Head Lamp w/Batteries included
    1 Blood-Pressure Cuff &
    1 Stethoscope
    1 Thermometer
    2 Scalpels- STERILE
    1 Doctor's Pen light
    1 Magnifying glass (true glass)
    All Instruments are 100% Stainless Steel:
    1 Bandage scissors 7.25" - HEAVY duty ALL METAL (NO plastic)
    1 Mayo Scissors
    1 Tweezers, metal
    1 Iris/nail scissors
    1 Curved Kelly clamp
    1 Straight Hemostat/Kelly clamp

DENTAL EQUIPMENT:

2 Dental Extractors #150 and #151
    (upper bicuspid #150, lower bicuspid #151)
    1 #301 Dental Elevator all metal
    1 Dental Scraper/Pick combo all metal
    1 Clove oil -Organic
    1 Zinc-Oxide powder Large Packet
    1 Dental mirror- stainless steel handle
    6 Pill cups
    10 Tongue depressors
    100 Dental Picks, disposable
    1 Dental Floss Johnson and Johnson Mint Pack (at least 55 yards
    1 ORAL ANALGESIC with 20% Benzocaine

ORTHOPEDIC/SKIN/Hypo or Hyperthermia SUPPLIES:

1 Cervical Collar 3" - universal size
    4 Ace Wrap 4" bandages w/clips
    4 Triangular bandages + Safety pins
    1 Splint 4" x 36"- padded conforming (commonly called "sam" splint material)
    1 Splint Finger Size - padded conforming
    2 disposable Ice packs
    2 Reusable Hot/Cold Packs
    2 Back Pain Relief Patches
    1 Muscle Rub
    1 Fels Naptha, Poison Ivy/Oak Soap
    12 Sting Relief Wipes
    1 Soap Bar (important for daily hygiene and sanitation)
    2 Moleskin Dr Scholl's extra thick padded squares 3" x 5"
    4 Emergency Solar/MYLAR blankets
    1 Gold Bond Medicated body powder
    1 Lip balm
    1 Sunscreen SPF 30 4oz
    1 Burn Jel large bottle 4 oz.- Lidocaine HCl 2.0 % (excellent burn treatment with lidocaine)
    1 Athlete's foot cream
    1 A & D Cream
    1 Hydrocortisone Cream
    1 Petroleum Jelly

EYE ISSUE SUPPLIES:

1 Eyewash 4 oz.
    1 Eyecup
    4 Eye pads

WATER/REHYDRATION SUPPLIES:

2 Waterproof Matches Box
    50 POTABLE AQUA(tm) Water purification/ Germicidal tablets
    2 GATORADE G2 Rehydration Powders
    8 Rehydration Salt Packets (World Health Organization formula)
    1 Emergency Water Bag 8L

NURSE AMY S ORGANIC SALVES:

1 Arnica Salve large 2 oz tin
    1 Calendula Salve large 2 oz tin
    1 Eucalyptus Salve large 2 oz tin

OTHER NATURAL AND HERBAL SUPPLIES:
    16 ORGANIC Teas, 4 Bags each:
    Chamomile, Echinacea, Ginger, Senna
    10 Lemon Powder packets
    5 ORGANIC Premium Essential Oils (1/4oz each- 5 bottles total):
    *Eucalyptus,
    *Lavender,
    *Peppermint,
    *Rosemary,
    *Tea Tree
    1 Pain Tincture, ORGANIC Herbal Remedy 1oz.
    1 Sleep Tincture, ORGANIC Herbal Remedy 1oz.

ADDITIONAL MEDICATIONS:

1 Bag Throat/Cough lozenges
    40 Acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) (aka paracetamol)
    60 Aspirin
    36 Diphenhydramine (generic benadryl) (an antihistamine)
    40 Ibuprofen (generic advil)
    60 Antacid tablets
    12 Anti-diarrheal
    25 Laxative tablets
    24 Non-Drowsy Nasal Decongestant (phenylephrine HCl 10mg)

1 Doom and Bloom Embroidered Velcro Patch
    1 VooDoo Tactical Special OPS Medical Backpack
    I'm thinking that that's a whole lot of dough for what is overall some very basic stuff that you could easily acquire over time with some advance planning and end up with a bag that's tailored to your personal needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I think it's a very good list to use as a starting point.

I think there is a small but important missed area in large cover all areas first aid kits and that is a transition phase kit. I'll explain.

For many there will be a lifestyle change in the lead up to a true SHTF situation where life changes quite a bit. People will need to harden up. Just the same as when you take a camping and walking holiday and feet take a pounding along with cuts and blisters on hands, if you are "lucky" you could even get sun burn. Add to that the change in cooking methods where burns are now a possibility every time you cook a meal or brew up.

What I feel is required is a not a separate first aid kit but a much larger supply of item to treat minor cuts, blisters and burns so we don't run out of them in the first few weeks.

All the items I'm thinking about are probably in your personal first aid kit so the home kit just needs to be bulked up with a sh!t load of replacements.

Don't forget how easy it is to use up items in any first aid kit. I managed to slice into the top of my index finger last week and while I only needed 2 finger tip plasters before it healed up it I used another 8 just keeping it protected while working for the next few days so that was one packet gone.

As you know I like lists (I just hope no one is stupid enough to quote this one :o) and after looking at this ages ago Amazon have been advertising it to me every time I go there.

Elite Large Fully Stocked GI Issue Medic First Aid Kit Bag

I'd ignore the Elite and GI issue part of the name the same way I'd ignore SAS used in any item description but instead look at the contents. What I like about this one is the way its packed. Not a total first aid kit but a good collection of items for treating trauma.

Elite Large Fully Stocked GI First Aid Kit Contents:

Pouch 1
    QTY ITEM
    10 5"x9" ABD Pad
    2 BleedStop Bandage
    1 Multi-Trauma Dressing 12"x30"
    1 Universal Splint 36"

Pouch 2
    QTY ITEM
    1 First Aid Quick Guide
    1 Small Flashlight w/Eye Dilation Chart
    2 Surgical Blades
    1 CPR Mask, Single Use
    1 Scissors
    2 Surgical Clamps
    1 Tweezers
    1 Probe
    1 Blade Handle
    2 Nylon filament suture, 1.5 metric
    30 Benzalkonium Chloride Antiseptic Towelettes
    15 Iodine Prep Pads, medium
    16 Alcohol Prep Pad
    1 BleedStop Bandage
    1 4.8 oz. Lidocaine Hcl Burn Spray
    1 2 oz. Ethyl Alcohol Hand Sanitizer
    1 6 oz. Calamine Lotion
    1 4 oz. Sterile Saline Eye Wash
    5 Rolls Surgical Tape, no length given
    2 Tongue Depressors
    1 Latex Tourniquet
    9 Butterfly Bandages
    10 Pad Band-Aids 1.5"x2 5/8"
    5 Small Band-Aids
    11 Gauze Pads 3"x3"

Pouch 3
    QTY ITEM
    5 Dressing Sponges 4"x4"
    ? Surgical Gloves, QTY not labeled
    2 Non-Sterile Triangular Bandages 40"x40"x56"
    1 Elastic Bandage, 6", Latex Free
    2 Pill Bottles, Empty, Childproof Caps
    1 Nurse's Stethoscope, Single Head
    12 Bandage, Elastic, Rubber Wrap Threads, 2"x4.5 yrds.

Pouch 4
    QTY ITEM
    2 Multi-Trauma Dressing 12"x30"
    2 BleedStop Bandages
    31 Benzalkonium Choride Towelettes
    6 Sting Relief Alcohol/Lidocaine Swabs
    15 Iodine Prep Pads, Medium
    16 Alchohol Prep Pads
    1 6" Elastic Bandage

Pouch 5
    QTY ITEM
    100 Cotton Tipped Applicators (Q-Tips)
    1 Multi-Trauma Dressing 12"x 30"
    4 Instant Ice Compress Packs
    120 3/4" Curad Band-Aids

Puouch 6
    QTY ITEM
    3 Multi-Trauma Dressings 12"x30"

One of the comments sums it up for me....

This bag is very much intended for a combat field medic. The overall appearance says "Boy Scouts", but they don't bleed enough to require this thing. It is assembled for the treatment of serious combat wounds. There are a ton of large, sterile dressings.

Advertisement