Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turbo is gone on 05 1.9 TDI Golf - I think

Options
  • 05-05-2016 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

driving it the other day and an almighty screech came from the engine, there was no drop in performance that i could tell but i drove slowly to my mechanice to drop off. He thinks the Turbo is gone (does that sound right?), to buy a new one will cost an arm and a leg, he's going to try to source a decent second hand one, i should probably help him in the search, can anyone suggest a good place to start looking? Also.. what am i looking for?

sorry if i have posted this into the wrong section, i couldn't find the "clueless moron" section
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a DIY effort, moved to main forum

Tbh, a screech from the engine could be anything, turbo/a belt/something else.

Is car at mechanics now or with you?

Any smoking from exhaust?
    Is the screech there all the time or only on startup/acceleration/etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Turbos can be reconditioned for about 400+ labour or replaced for about double that
    I'd only put a used one in if I was selling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

driving it the other day and an almighty screech came from the engine, there was no drop in performance that i could tell but i drove slowly to my mechanice to drop off. He thinks the Turbo is gone (does that sound right?), to buy a new one will cost an arm and a leg, he's going to try to source a decent second hand one, i should probably help him in the search, can anyone suggest a good place to start looking? Also.. what am i looking for?

sorry if i have posted this into the wrong section, i couldn't find the "clueless moron" section

Did he whip off the pipes and physically check the turbo?

Meegans in Dundalk have a huge box full of those turbos, ask them first

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are a fair few companies out there that will supply reconditioned turbos for alot less than the price of a brand new one. They will also take your old knackered one off you and most give a warranty.

A second hand one is cheaper but alot riskier as you don't know what condition it was in prior to been removed from the old car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

"No drop in performance".

Are you sure the turbo is kaput?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

As above it doesn't really sound like a blown turbo.
    if turbo seals are blown then the car would have been whaling out white/blue smoke and there would have been a major drop in performance. Can be checked by removing the intercooler pipes and seeing if they're full of oil.
    Also if the turbo shaft/bearing is gone it can be checked by removing pipes at the turbo and checking for major shaft play.

Advertisement