Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are "The Crafty Brewing Co"?

• 14-05-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bought some of their lagers in Lidl the other day, and found them very nice.

So who makes them for Lidl?

Edit: sorry, just found out:
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/lidls-new-irish-craft-beer-range/

Very nice to be fair. Others opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

tried the stout, didn't think much of it.

labels could do with a few more crafty craft crafter references, just in case we don't quite get their angle

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

I think the rule of thumb these days is: if it's branded as craft in an "own brand" supermarket range, it's probably Rye River. That and their McGargles efforts.

Unfortunately they seem to be one of those those brewers that think that because they're not with Diageo or Heineken, that makes them craft.

Industrious is not the same as ingenious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Horrible stuff who ever makes it. Wish they'd bring back the blue moon deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

It's a fine brew, Blue Moon is so heavy and lifeless. Like a corpse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Yep Rye river one of there 3-4 brands that brew

• Advertisement

Turpentine wrote: »
    Unfortunately they seem to be one of those those brewers that think that because they're not with Diageo or Heineken, that makes them craft.

they are capable of producing come very good beer:

http://thebeernut.blogspot.ie/2015/03/and-not-irish-red-to-be-seen.html

http://oblivioustobeer.blogspot.ie/2015/03/alltech-craft-brews-food-festival-2015.html

So if your over 20hl (brew-house system not annual production) your not craft?? If your beer has no hazy issue and doesn't smell of pine its not craft??? What is craft exactly??

If ingenious is using american hops and a US-05 yeast there are a lot of copy cats out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Toast

I think the rule of thumb these days is: if it's branded as craft in an "own brand" supermarket range, it's probably Rye River. That and their McGargles efforts...

I talked to one of the guys behind this in a beer fest before. He basically said both McGargles and the lidl stuff was designed as "a beginner's craft beer". It isn't meant to be challenging or madly different. He also said they were cleaning up in the States with McGargles so I couldn't really knock his approach if it was working out for them.

Personally I find the lidl stout quite nice if you don't treat it like a stout. Drink it cold from the bottle and pretend it's a coffee cocktail and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

oblivious wrote: »

That's one of the criteria for the beoir definition.

Rte radio had a piece during the week with Aidan sweeney talking about if we should protect the term craft.

I should have clarified that the 20hl I was referring to is the brew-house system not annual production
    matrim wrote: »
    That's one of the criteria for the beoir definition. .

That's Beoirs definition of an Irish microbreweries (native) currently at 20,000 hl (not 20hl) along with other things like been independent
    matrim wrote: »
    Rte radio had a piece during the week with Aidan sweeney talking about if we should protect the term craft.

Its a bit of an amorphous term, better to educate the consumer so they can make an informed choice when parting with their cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

oblivious wrote: »
    I should have clarified that the 20hl I was referring to is the brew-house system not annual production

That's Beoirs definition of an Irish microbreweries (native) currently at 20,000 hl (not 20hl) along with other things like been independent

Its a bit of an amorphous term, better to educate the consumer so they can make an informed choice when parting with their cash.

Didn't mean to imply that the beoir definition was the only one and I agree that "craft" is a bit of a meaningless term. For me a "craft" beer is as much about the brewer as the beer itself. If you have someone who cares about their beer and wants to try get something of their own taste / skill across in the making of the beer that makes it craft. Not just the size or ownership of the brewery.

You can have lovely beers that aren't "craft" and poor beers that are craft. That varity of flavour and style is what makes trying them so much fun ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭donaghs

The Lidl "craft" beers are alright, nothing special. The Stout's probably the best of them, but again there's far better "craft" stout out there.

As for Rye, beer politics aside, I like most of their McGargle range, and the Solas stout is nice enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

lidl stuff is ok the solas is quite nice .. the mcgargles are like you mix cheap perfume and carling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is it not gone up to 35,000hl since the last Finance Act?

Is it not gone up to 35,000hl since the last Finance Act?

The tax rebate is for unto 30,000hl per annum . Do you mean Beoir's or Irish revenue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bought some of their lagers in Lidl the other day, and found them very nice.

So who makes them for Lidl?

Edit: sorry, just found out:
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/lidls-new-irish-craft-beer-range/

Very nice to be fair. Others opinions?

I have only tried the larger and find it very tasty too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I brought the ale at xmas, tasted a small bit of one and down the sink all the bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

tried the IPA. very fruity taste to it, but enjoyable, although i imagine some people would find it too fruity. still would choose hop house 13 over it

well if you like ipa's you will like the lidl crafty brewing one and wont like hop house 13 much as far too bland. ipa's are meant to have strong fruity ( hoppy) flavours.

well if you like ipa's you will like the lidl crafty brewing one and wont like hop house 13 much as far too bland. ipa's are meant to have strong fruity ( hoppy) flavours.

well i just said id try it (only 2.50). its an interesting taste alright. initially i thought what is this im drinking, but then i got into it and liked it. still probably would prefer hop house 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

HH13 is not an IPA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

That IPA is incredibly cheap for what you get. Absolutely love it.

HH13 isn't in the same ballpark. Style-wise and taste-wise, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I love the crafty brewing company pale ale and IPA. Top quality budget beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Crafty brewing ipa is bloody lovely.

fyi: i see aldi brand o'shea is releasing a wit beer (belgian wheat) next week...also grafters are bringing a kolsch to dunnes own brand. should be worth a lash and let the opinions be known:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

also grafters are bringing a kolsch to dunnes own brand. should be worth a lash and let the opinions be known:)

Rye River took delivery of a couple of new big lagering tanks recently too, so expect to see loads more european style beers out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭fjon

I think the Lidl stuff is really quite unimpressive, even taking into account the price. If you're near an Aldi they have some much better stuff - O'Haras/ O'Sheas and Williams Brothers are available for around the same price, and imo are a lot better for your money.

fjon wrote: »
    I think the Lidl stuff is really quite unimpressive, even taking into account the price. If you're near an Aldi they have some much better stuff - O'Haras/ O'Sheas and Williams Brothers are available for around the same price, and imo are a lot better for your money.

i will have to try them. i am kind of getting into trying the different craft beers now. hopefully i dont become an alcoholic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭fjon

i will have to try them. i am kind of getting into trying the different craft beers now. hopefully i dont become an alcoholic:D

The O'Sheas range is a nice way to try out these styles and not pay a fortune. Make sure you stay away from the "Tara" beers in Aldi though!
    They also have Adnams Lighthouse, Ghost ship and Brown Bear also which are fairly average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

O'Sheas don't do an IPA. The Crafty IPA is far superior to any of the O'Sheas range though in my opinion. The other Crafty brews though I'd agree, the O'Sheas range is better. I'm looking forward to trying their new wit mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Must try the Crafty IPA. Have to confess I'd always ignored it. Probably the name or something.

Have to say re: O'Sheas Pale Ale. At that price point, I'd take the Grafters stuff over it any day.

Advertisement