Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone imported from outside EU?

• 27-04-2016 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm a little confused about the whole thing. I want to import a classic vehicle and I see that VRT is €200 on all classic cars - is there VAT to be paid as well? Do I have to have owned the car for more than 6 months?

Also, shipping... any recommendations on a reliable shipping company? What, roughly should I be looking at paying? I've heard it's much cheaper to ship to the UK - can I do that then drive it to Ireland and pay relevant VRT/VAT here?

Insurance - do I have to have another car insured in my name? I'm considering selling my car and just driving my classic - anyone know of a company that does this? All I've encountered so far require you to have another car registered in my name :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

I'm a little confused about the whole thing. I want to import a classic vehicle and I see that VRT is €200 on all classic cars - is there VAT to be paid as well? Do I have to have owned the car for more than 6 months?

Also, shipping... any recommendations on a reliable shipping company? What, roughly should I be looking at paying? I've heard it's much cheaper to ship to the UK - can I do that then drive it to Ireland and pay relevant VRT/VAT here?

Not sure on shipping costs. Woukd depend on current location of car anyway.

I had looked into importing from outsixe the EU in the past.

This is what I can recall

Both VAT and VRT is due on non-EU vehicles.

VAT is charged at first point of 'landing/entry' in EU.
    So if you got your car delivered to UK, VAT would be due in UK.
    I have heard that the VAT percentage is less in the UK than in Ireland but don't know the per cent ages off top of my head.
    This was 2 or 3 years ago i was told this so that might have changed.

Someone should be able to advise you more accuratley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You will also have to pay EU duty, 10% on cars.

If the car you import is historical and original you may only pay 5% VAT at a UK port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Insurance - do I have to have another car insured in my name? I'm considering selling my car and just driving my classic - anyone know of a company that does this? All I've encountered so far require you to have another car registered in my name :(

Insurance: Most classic policies are mileage limited and you have to have another car available and insured. To use as an everyday car, you'll really need a mainstream policy and many insurers aren't keen on cars over 15 yrs old to say the least.

The biggest enemy to any classic is the weather, using it as a daily during the winter will kill it off quite quickly in all probability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ScoobysGirl

So the VAT does apply to Classic Cars? This is a 1974 I'm bringing in from Brazil... The Revenue website isn't very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

So the VAT does apply to Classic Cars? This is a 1974 I'm bringing in from Brazil... The Revenue website isn't very clear.

Yes, when coming in to the EU from outside.

Is it a VW?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

If the car was manufactured in 1974 and you bring it into the EU through the UK first then you will not be liable for any duties as its over 30 years of age but you will be liable for VAT @ 5% on the purchase price of the car plus the cost of shipping the car to the UK. This is provided the vehicle is original and has not had any modifications or changes to it. Discuss this with a shipping agent like Jamie Hill in the UK if you think the vehicle has been modified. http://www.hillshipping.com/
    Then when you then bring it into Ireland you will only be liable for the vintage VRT of €200.

Yes, when coming in to the EU from outside.

Is it a VW?

Yes, VW Kombi :) So excited!

Yes, VW Kombi :) So excited!

Why from Brazil? Is it very cheap? Have you seen it, or has somebody checked it out for you?

I have imported "blind" a few times, but I wouldn't recommend it..

I'd never import blind - I have family there taking care of the restoration for me.

I'd never import blind - I have family there taking care of the restoration for me.

Cool. Find a good shipping agent, they'll handle everything for you and give you a total to pay. Good luck with it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭User Steve

Hi Scooby'sGirl,

I would love to hear how you got on with your import from Brazil. I'd appreciate any information you could send along. I'm thinking of importing a VW T1 and would also have family in Brazil to oversee the refurb. I hope it all worked out for you.

Many thanks,

Advertisement