Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scarleh for ye: Beetroot and Running - Experiences but Where?

• 30-04-2016 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Read much extolling the benefits of beetroot juice for runners:

http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/nutrition/got-beetroot-juice_17653

In my own vegan running experience, I have to say beetroot-based salads are the tops in terms of cardio benefits etc. Anyone have any experience of beetroot?

However, I have never tried beetroot juice (I don't have a juicer alas). Anyone used it consistently in Ireland out there?

Is there anywhere in Dublin/Ireland that stocks beetroot juice? I couldn't find anywhere. None of the major supermarkets or even smaller places.

If you know of any shops, love to know!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Health food shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

uvox wrote: »
    Read much extolling the benefits of beetroot juice for runners:

http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/nutrition/got-beetroot-juice_17653

In my own vegan running experience, I have to say beetroot-based salads are the tops in terms of cardio benefits etc. Anyone have any experience of beetroot?

However, I have never tried beetroot juice (I don't have a juicer alas). Anyone used it consistently in Ireland out there?

Is there anywhere in Dublin/Ireland that stocks beetroot juice? I couldn't find anywhere. None of the major supermarkets or even smaller places.

If you know of any shops, love to know!

Juice your own or flush your money down the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Tesco in the square, Tallaght stocks "Beet it" juice. It has a bit of apple juice mixed in to counteract the "earthy" taste of Beetroot. Quite nice! It's in the aisle with all the rubbish juice like capri sun etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Health food shops

No. In fact they don't. Which is why I asked.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Juice your own or flush your money down the pot.

Rough day not being able to complete that park run, eh?

I said I didn't have a juicer.

Next.

• Advertisement

Cheers on the Tesco tip. Not quite what I had in mind though. It does seem tough to get. I've also tried in Trader Joes and Whole Foods Markets in the US, in the UK, and in a few other countries. Perhaps it's something that needs to be made on the spot.

AN opening for some enterprising running shop with a juicer perhaps.

Thanks for all the responses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Or in fact they do. Which is why RQ said it.

My local one certainly does. As does my local centra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Yes, in fact they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

If only there was a website that acted as a type of search engine for dummies.

Might save said dummies from starting ridiculous threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

If it offends your sensibilities to buy it in your local Tesco (or Holland & Barrett), you can get Beet It! online from Ethical Superstore.com:

http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/reviews/james-white/james-white-organic-beetroot-juice-750ml/

http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/vision/

SuperValu also stock a beetroot juice, which I've tried once but seem to remember it was tastier than Beet It! Can't remember the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

They sell it in the Health Store, I've bought it in Supervalu before and Tesco and Holland and Barrett both stock it. Its not that nice. The beetroot bars aren't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Kates Kitchen in Sligo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Supervalu churchtown and holland and barret nutgrove both have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Looks like it is wider available than you thought op. Any reason wht you wouldn't just eat it ?

Yes, they do, I've seen them in there numerous times. Which is why I suggested them.

Look what I've just seen in the health store

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Look what I've just seen in the health store
    That's a ferocious price for Beet-it. When I buy it in Dunnes on occasion, it's around €3 - €3.50. I've acquired a taste for cooked beetroot now though, and buy the vacuum sealed packs for around 80c and eat them in salads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

OP - just so you don't make an even bigger fool of yourself. Your uncivil "couldn't complete a parkrun" remark was in fact addressed to a 2:30 marathoner. Just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tesco's sell Beet-it for 2.99/litre. OH thinks they're forgetting VAT at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

davedanon wrote: »
    OP - just so you don't make an even bigger fool of yourself. Your uncivil "couldn't complete a parkrun" remark was in fact addressed to a 2:30 marathoner. Just so you know.

The OP doesn't believe in the use of clocks to determine athletics success though. It's all about points awarded for style and swagger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Rough day not being able to complete that park run, eh?

I said I didn't have a juicer.

Next.

I didn't mean to offend I didn't realise you were so sensitive. I have used commercial products and they are not a patch on juicing your own so save your money and buy a juicer. Also I have never failed to complete a parkrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Op ya mad whore ya😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

ultrapercy wrote: »
    . Also I have never failed to complete a parkrun.

I note you completed one today. And beat a former world champion. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

My local centra has it. Judging by the looks I get I think I am the only one who buys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Spout.ie sell great juices in Avoca, and possibly other outlets. Great-tasting juices but very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I suppose the OP has already heard of one side effect but, if not, then do explore the whole #pissingrainbow hashtag - just in case you think you're experiencing internal haemorraging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

That has to be the strangest response to someone trying to help you i've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can get in the juice shop on bachelor walk in Dublin city, also the juice shop in temple bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm pretty sure I saw you in McDonalds a few weeks back. Were you looking for vegan beet juice in there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Saw in the Aldi leaflet that they are advertising for next Thursday, 12th, a range of drinks including Beetroot based.

Advertisement