Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford Greenway Casual Cycling Group

• 21-04-2016 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi everybody!

This post is just to let people know that I have started a new group called the Waterford Greenway Casual Cycling Group - Free to join no susbscription etc.

I have started this group to take advantage of the new Waterford Greenway and I am expecting other cycle clubs not to be interested in group cycles on it - all of them around here seem to focus on average speed/sectors etc - The new Greenway is a shared pedestrial and cycle way.

The aim of the group is to get as many people cycling as possible, whether that be new and young or elder and experienced - we all go at the slowest persons pace to enjoy eachothers company and a tea stop along the way!

Search Facebook for "Waterford Greenway Casual Cycling Group" - As I'm a new-ish user I can't post links!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

NLC1072 wrote: »
    I am expecting other cycle clubs not to be interested in group cycles on it - all of them around here seem to focus on average speed/sectors etc -

no, they wouldnt be, due to the width of it.....
    Not sectors -segments.....:rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

greenspurs wrote: »
    no, they wouldnt be, due to the width of it.....
    Not sectors -segments.....:rolleyes:

Would a big group of cyclists not be a hindrance on it to other users. I think a greenway is more suited to single cyclists and smaller groups. Lots of walkers and people with buggies might mean little room for passing for big groups of cyclists.

EDIT ... meant for op.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dan2912

That greenway will be raced from bilberry to dungarvan and back again. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

The group as is named "casual" meaning relaxed and by definition - slow. So most certainly not a race. The Greenway is 3 meters wide , plenty of space for say a group of us to filter past single file - again slowly! Aiming to bring as many new cyclists out as possible whilst still being considerate to our co-users of the greenway.

• Advertisement

wont be much cycling on road bikes on that surface !

Not all of it is tar and chip, a fair bit is tarmac. But tar and chip is good for any other bike than a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hungry4k

How much of this is now open?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is it tar & chip i.e. a solid surface or Macadam i.e. a dirt road?

The Athlone to Mullingar greenway is all solid surface, about 1 mile of tar & chip and the rest smooth tarmacadam.
    Building a new greenway with a worse surface than this is a step backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Most of the greenway in Mayo has a loose fine chip surface. Very little of it is tarred.

• Advertisement

Most of the greenway in Mayo has a loose fine chip surface. Very little of it is tarred.

from the photos being shown around, it seems to be a loose pebble/gravel surface... :confused:

hungry4k wrote: »
    How much of this is now open?

From Dungarvan to Clonea is open, but you can ride as far up as Durrow. Bilberry to Carriganore is also cycleable.

There have been people cycle the full length but the mid section is still just gravel and a tiny section a dirt path - albeit a smooth dirt path.

Originally this was being set up for us, but I have been given the permission by work to spread that Halfords Waterford, on their Facebook Page titled the same, is giving away €250 Euro towards any hybrid bike in store for the Greenway. On top of this there will be 10% off ANY new bike and 20% off ANY cycle servicing. Just get the voucher off of our page and bring it in (screenshot is fine also!).

Having cycled the whole of the open part and I have cycled a lot of the tar and chip surface I can safely say that is was ok to ride on a 700x23c racing bike tyre. No problems what so ever. There is some slightly loose surface but this will be swept away as people are using the greenway. The loos surface was probably a foot or two per KM so I wouldn't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I was down to see it fit the first time today from Cork. Seeing as we are on the subject, stupid question, whats the reason for tar + chip why not just use smooth tarmac throughout?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,239 ✭✭✭✭ted1

C4Kid wrote: »
    I was down to see it fit the first time today from Cork. Seeing as we are on the subject, stupid question, whats the reason for tar + chip why not just use smooth tarmac throughout?

Cheers

Probably speed control and costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

C4Kid wrote: »

Cheers
    according to the county engineer overseeing cinstruction (at one of the recent general public meetings about the greenway) it was down to cost and the fact that tar and chip will quite probably never wear out with cycle and foot traffic being the only users.

they currently have a courser chip down but will refinish all the tar and chip sections with a finer chip grade before it opens, so the entire route will either be tarmacadm or tar and chip as you will see on our typical backroads here in Ireland, albeit mius the mahoosive potholes! perfect for any tyre size, from a 700x20c to a fat bike tyre!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How much of this is done? When can we expect it to be "open"

There are 8 miles done from Dungarvan end and about 3 from Waterford end.

Waterford Greenway Cycle Group

We changed the name to make it easier to say! Finally I have enough posts to post this link too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Mullingar cc had groups out at night fairly regularly last winter on the greenway. You maybe surprised as to who will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ss573

Is there anything like this group in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Someone else may be able to answer re casual cycling clubs in Dublin, but this might also be of interest.

You pick your county/location, and a sign in for a casual spin run by a "leader". The group would change, but the numbers seem small, and it seems to be aimed at casual cycling, much like the Greenway group above

https://www.axacommunitybikerides.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm sure a lot of greater Dublin clubs have purely leisure spins. I know Bray Wheelers have spins at 20-22kph, circa 60km; and then one at 22-24kph circa 70km.

I'm not involved, but I assume the clubs couch to 50km and intro to group riding spins will get going again in the new year now restrictions are easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Think Orwell also have a good few groups going at different speeds and distances.

Maybe start with the club closest to home and go from there?

Advertisement