Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

196979899100102»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I guess I do not understand what the difference is.

I'm in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭notmyusername

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat

Really???!!!

Am I to believe that neither of you understand the difference between terrestrial and satellite delivery?

And that neither of you understand that programming rights are negotiated differently for terrestrial, satellite, cable and/or IPTV delivery?

Cannot edit...

And that neither of you understand that programming rights are negotiated differently for terrestrial, satellite, cable and/or IPTV delivery?

Satellite is a different beast altogether, for all the obvious reasons.

Yes but I believed one of the main reason's for Saorsat on 9E Kasat, was to have it on such a tight footprint for rights issues.
    Obviously it did not work for rights issues on Champions league.

One of the reasons for my confusion, is next Wednesday RTE2 will be blocked for Champions league on Saorsat, yet I will be able to watch the same game blocked on Saorsat on Freeview bt Showcase.

It doesn't make sense!

Yes but I believed one of the main reason's for Saorsat on 9E Kasat, was to have it on such a tight footprint for rights issues.

One of the reasons for my confusion, is next Wednesday RTE2 will be blocked for Champions league on Saorsat, yet I will be able to watch the same game blocked on Saorsat on Freeview bt Showcase.

It doesn't make sense!

You don't see the difference between natural overspill of a terrestrial signal (which countries are entitled to use)

and a satellite signal that can be prevented from being seen on overspill.

You can't see the difference?

• Advertisement

It doesn't make sense!

You don't see the difference between natural overspill of a terrestrial signal (which countries are entitled to use)

Or that you are using different apparatus to receive them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Or that you are using different apparatus to receive them?

How can that be prevented from being seen without interfering with those within the target area?

Would you have terrestrial overspill 'corrected' by blocking the same media within the target area?

Would you have terrestrial overspill 'corrected' by blocking the same media within the target area?

You're still confusing terrestrial delivery with satellite delivery! They are very two different methods of delivering a television signal and involve very different rights negotiations ;)
    How can that be prevented from being seen without interfering with those within the target area?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, encryption. You may not be aware but RTÉ's channels are encrypted on Astra 28.2. This is done in order protect programming rights.

For the majority of the rights RTÉ hold Saorsat is perfect. Unfortunately, and we are going around in circles a little here, UEFA are over-zealous in protecting their rights (which are worth a fortune to them and to broadcasters in neighbouring territories).

Astra 28.2 is encrypted for precisely those reasons.

For the majority of the rights RTÉ hold Saorsat is perfect. Unfortunately, and we are going around in circles a little here, UEFA are over-zealous in protecting their rights (which are worth a fortune to them and to broadcasters in neighbouring territories).

So what's stopping other rights holders having their programmes also blocked on Saorsat.

After all Champions League was previously available on RTE2 Saorsat.

Are we just hoping that they don't complain about rights on Saorsat and leave us alone?

For the majority of the rights RTÉ hold Saorsat is perfect.

I hope you are right, but

How do you know this?

• Advertisement

So what's stopping other rights holders having their programmes also blocked on Saorsat.

After all Champions League was previously available on RTE2 Saorsat.

Are we just hoping that they don't complain about rights on Saorsat and leave us alone?

And it's gone full circle.

We're repeating more than Dave here :)

UEFA are over-zealous in protecting their rights.

The narrow beam (for Saorsat and, indeed, many of the transponders on Astra 28.2) is perfectly acceptable when negotiating TV rights in general.
    I hope you are right, but

How do you know this?

It is the way rights are negotiated for satellite. Overspill similar to terrestrial is acceptable, any more and blocking (encryption) is expected. I might add that this particularly applies to English language programming.

Unfortunately, sporting rights are treated differently. It's why you won't see a Premier League match on FTA in this neck of the woods either.

By your reasoning, the BBC showing an FA Cup match FTA, could be prevented from doing so (or as you suggested encrypt it) because of the Astra overspill over Ireland (unless they have the rights to the Irish territory also).
    This could also be the case for other content, if this reasoning is carried through, and other rights holders are as "over-zealous in protecting their rights" as UEFA are.

What applies to one rights holder must apply to all.
    Either overspill is expected and accepted or it is not.

For the majority of the rights RTÉ hold Saorsat is perfect

Sorry, but I need to ask this question again.

How do you know this?

Could you possibly supply a source please.

By your reasoning, the BBC showing an FA Cup match FTA, could be prevented from doing so (or as you suggested encrypt it) because of the Astra overspill over Ireland (unless they have the rights to the Irish territory also).
    This could also be the case for other content, if this reasoning is carried through, and other rights holders are as "over-zealous in protecting their rights" as UEFA are.

By my reasoning? I am explaining the situation to you.

The BBC will have absorbed the costs of allowing the FA Cup to be available on their channel in this country and those costs will have amounted to a very tiny fraction of what they paid; not that I think FA Cup rights are worth anything like Premier League or Champions League or that the FA would go to the trouble of blocking it.

I can also guarantee that Setanta will have got the Irish FA Cup rights at a very nominal fee precisely because of the unique situation that exists here.

I don't know how many more times I can repeat that Saorsat overspill is perfectly acceptable for normal TV rights content.

This is the reason RTÉ are in the clear on Saorsat and encrypted on Astra.

How do you know this?

A source for the way TV rights are sold? It is what it is :)

By my reasoning? I am explaining the situation to you.

The BBC will have absorbed the costs of allowing the FA Cup to be available on their channel in this country and those costs will have amounted to a very tiny fraction of what they paid; not that I think FA Cup rights are worth anything like Premier League or Champions League or that the FA would go to the trouble of blocking it.

I can also guarantee that Setanta will have got the Irish FA Cup rights at a very nominal fee precisely because of the unique situation that exists here.

I don't know how many more times I can repeat that Saorsat overspill is perfectly acceptable for normal TV rights content.

How do you know this?

A source for the way TV rights are sold? It is what it is :)

My source is the signal on Saorsat - try it and see how many programmes are blocked ;)

So, you reckon that sporting events are not 'normal' where rights are concerned?
    What makes them different?
    What rules apply to them that cannot be applied to other content?
    Do you have any references for this?
    RTÉ channels are encrypted on Astra because Sky choose to do so.
    They do this so they can charge a subscription.
    You maintain it is because they are broadcast on Satellite, but have provided no references for this, so I must believe this is only opinion.

I would be delighted if you could provide some references that I could read, and maybe come to the same opinion.

So, you reckon that sporting events are not 'normal' where rights are concerned?
    What makes them different?
    What rules apply to them that cannot be applied to other content?
    Do you have any references for this?

Do you really need me to explain the difference to you between a live sporting event broadcast on TV (that is a one-time watching experience and worth billions) and a normal TV programme?
    RTÉ channels are encrypted on Astra because Sky choose to do so.
    They do this so they can charge a subscription.
    You maintain it is because they are broadcast on Satellite, but have provided no references for this, so I must believe this is only opinion.

"Sky choose to do so" lol

RTÉ needed to broadcast FTA via satellite to cover areas that the terrestrial network couldn't reach and opted for Saorsat rather than using the Astra satellite that just about every dish in the country is pointed at. Why do you think that was?

Once again, it is what it is. The reference is the broadcasts themselves if you need it.

RTÉ could broadcast FTA on Astra if they were willing to cover the costs of broadcasting to 60 million Brits on top of the audience here. Not to mention paying even more over the odds for exclusivity.
    I would be delighted if you could provide some references that I could read, and maybe come to the same opinion.

You can form whatever opinion you wish to, it's nothing to me tbh :)

If you are really that interested in how broadcast TV rights work, you would have researched it already. I'm sure there is tons of relevant material out there.

This is pointless as you will not, or cannot provide any references, other than to introduce red herrings or say 'it is what it is'.

finished.

This is pointless as you will not, or cannot provide any references, other than to introduce red herrings or say 'it is what it is'.

finished.

"Red herrings" lol

No worries mate.

I personally know how it works; I've done you the courtesy of answering your questions in-thread and you actually expect me give up the many better things I have to do today and research it all for you too.

Enjoy your day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Just wondering with 'open borders' in EU has no-one thought of going to European Court over rights restrictions of e.g. sporting events and these being blocked on satellite?

• Advertisement

I personally know how it works; I've done you the courtesy of answering your questions in-thread and you actually expect me give up the many better things I have to do today and research it all for you too.

Yes,
    When you make a claim and can't produce such evidence to back up the claim.

Have a good day.

Yes,
    When you make a claim and can't produce such evidence to back up the claim.

Have a good day.

I'm having a very good day, thanks mate :)

No "claims" made :)

Facts that are to the best of my knowledge based on research that I myself took the time to do (without looking to be spoonfed it) have been given. "Evidence" has been posted throughout the thread.

You may or may not believe this but I actually really ain't pushed on what you or Johnboy think about the information I've given you. I do believe that you're both more interested in hanging around on a forum looking to be spoonfed information as opposed to looking for it yourselves - I'm making an educated guess that you're both connected to the internet ;)

I'm having a very good day, thanks mate

Being honest buddy, you've actually given me a great laugh.

Please don't take my comment as an insult, it's just how this conversation has developed.

Obviously yes I'm connected to the Internet.

But being connected with any other posters, the answer is no.

Being honest buddy, you've actually given me a great laugh.

Glad to be of service ;)

But being connected with any other posters, the answer is no.

I'll be honest, Im not really sure what that means but sure there you go....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Can we drop the sports rights discussion, it's off topic for this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pulidog

I doubt if this thread is still being followed but RTE1HD has been replaced by a Saorsat Testcard, as of 15 july 2019.

Whats going on?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Pulidog wrote: »
    I doubt if this thread is still being followed but RTE1HD has been replaced by a Saorsat Testcard, as of 15 july 2019.

Whats going on?

Could it be a mistake?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All channels look OK now

Was it during some rights restricted transmissions like Sports or Reeling In The Years ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don’t drag up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement