Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

When this is completed I'll have to give it go (have to buy a bike first though!)

tis a lovely walk. fantastic scenery along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is there a dedicated website set up for this yet? (not facebook)

The only website so far is our own campaign website www.deisegreenway.com

We're guessing (hoping) the council/tourist board will create a new website very soon, under the official name of Waterford Greenway, with the history, attractions, access points, facilities and temptations to be found along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

How much is now accessible from kilmeaden to bilberry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Is it possible to walk/cycle across any of the viaducts yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

NLC1072 wrote: »

I went for a walk on Saturday from Bilberry to near enough Mount Congrave it look finished to me i was also on the Suirvalley train a few weeks ago and they were doing some work but a lot of people were still able to walk it

• Advertisement

NLC1072 wrote:

The whole trail is accessible in my world😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Underpass currently getting installed on the N25 at McGrath's Cross as I post.
    Be interesting to see what will happen at Kildermody with a main water line passing underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The whole trail is accessible in my world😉

Always knew you lived in a world of your own.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Always knew you lived in a world of your own.......:D

Hearing amazing reviews of the walk, views etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Now that the Greenway is nearing completion perhaps deisegreenway would like to offer some relevant information on a few queries.

1. Is there a decision yet on the separation line for cyclists and walkers. I raised this point with you two years ago. It is commonly used in Germany.

2. Will there be speed limit for cyclists? A 10km limit is now becoming common around Europe. Recently a walker was killed by a cyclist on a multi-use pathway in southern Spain where there was no limit.

3. Will there be indemnity for this type of accident by the Council?

4. Will the August schedule for the final section be reached?

5. Where the Greenway meets the N25 will there be safe crossing provisions for users?

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote:
    Hearing amazing reviews of the walk, views etc.

Fantastic views along the way. I'd say I 'll walk it again soon, just to see progress. They're working at an astonishing rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Silverado wrote: »
    2. Will there be speed limit for cyclists? A 10km limit is now becoming common around Europe. Recently a walker was killed by a cyclist on a multi-use pathway in southern Spain where there was no limit.

Well that's a lot of scaremongering.

10kp/h is ferociously slow on a bicycle. Average low speed on a bike would be 16kp/h. Normal speed coming in around 23kp/h.

Most greenways in Europe and the rest of the world don't operate a 10km speed limit. Or none of them would be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

This Thursday (21st), 7:30pm, Ramada Hotel

WCCC invites interested parties to a meeting re: Waterford Greenway (or whathever the name is).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

OldBean wrote: »
    Well that's a lot of scaremongering.

10kp/h is ferociously slow on a bicycle. Average low speed on a bike would be 16kp/h. Normal speed coming in around 23kp/h.

Most greenways in Europe and the rest of the world don't operate a 10km speed limit. Or none of them would be used.

10 kmph? What are they going to have speed traps?

Vast majority using this will be cyclists, but I doubt this would be of interest to the lycra brigade as it is too narrow and the surface will be a cinder path type.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well I'm a Lycra type cyclists and I'm heading out on it for a look in the morning, I walked out 5Km from bilberry this evening and that surface is far superior than most of the roads we normally cycle on :), but I agree that once fully opened it will be used mainly by leisure cyclists and families. There's no way that cyclists going in excess of 20kmph and pedestrians with kids on bikes should be expected to share the pathway, it would be far to dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

I've started a group on Facebook called "Waterford Greenway casual cycle group" if that helps anybody

Well I cycled out there again this morning and sadly the good surface only lasts up beyond the turnoff for Harvey Normans and after that it's just chippings in places and then stone. I managed to go beyond Mount Congreve and found a gate that took me off and back on to a road just before the Garda station I think in Kilmeadon. It's certainly not ready for walkers or cyclists of any form just yet. It's a shame that it won't have a surface like what's on bilberry all the way, even for walkers, that chippings surface is very dusty and will be hard to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well I cycled out there again this morning and sadly the good surface only lasts up beyond the turnoff for Harvey Normans and after that it's just chippings in places and then stone. I managed to go beyond Mount Congreve and found a gate that took me off and back on to a road just before the Garda station I think in Kilmeadon. It's certainly not ready for walkers or cyclists of any form just yet. It's a shame that it won't have a surface like what's on bilberry all the way, even for walkers, that chippings surface is very dusty and will be hard to maintain.

Why do you think it won't when completed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Talking to some of the guys that are doing the work thats what they say.

Also fairly obvious that a vast amount of money has been spent on the areas where the farmers objected so not enough left for a full tarmac job.

I also heard from some people closely associated with the project that the width of the tarmac has been reduced to save money.

It was stated on their FB page a few weeks ago that it would not all be completed with a Tarmac finish, there would be sections that would only have a chippings finish. I well aware that the sections I was on this morning are no where near finished yet and I'm sure there will be a vast improvement on the surface that's currently there. All I'm saying thou is people will be disappointed if they are expecting a full Tarmac surface along the whole route.

• Advertisement

In that case good luck to those using wheeled vehicles, especially those in manual wheelchairs who have to try to travel on chippings.

Equally children riding bicycles on chippings is just looking for trouble.

This is a very large disappointment IMO.

In that case good luck to those using wheeled vehicles, especially those in manual wheelchairs who have to try to travel on chippings.

Equally children riding bicycles on chippings is just looking for trouble.

This is a very large disappointment IMO.

Let's wait and reserve judgement till it's officially finished.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Let's wait and reserve judgement till it's officially finished.

If as you said it will have chippings, then there is no need to wait to make judgement as chippings are not a suitable surface for the likes of wheelchair and bicycle users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

What about those on quad bikes and other 'mechanised' type vehicles.....?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    What about those on quad bikes and other 'mechanised' type vehicles.....?

What about them?

Quads are designed for such surfaces and worse conditions, so have no idea what you mean, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

What about horse’s? I walked along the greenway from the city the other weekend and there was horse ***te on the path!

I’m sorry but Irish people are pigs when it comes to things like this. I have walked on trails and paths in other countries and you would not see a cigarette butt discarded not alone dog and horse ***te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

BBM77 wrote: »
    What about horse’s? I walked along the greenway from the city the other weekend and there was horse ***te on the path!

I’m sorry but Irish people are pigs when it comes to things like this. I have walked on trails and paths in other countries and you would not see a cigarette butt discarded not alone dog and horse ***te.

Have to agree, dirty messy people with zero civic pride, its much the same in Britain so we're not alone.I wouldn't dream of dropping any paper or anything like that on the ground.that's the way I was raised and I'm proud of where i come from and added to that i realise that a clean environment is good for us all, tourism, business, etc..only thing to do is catch and fine people.first day of opening Billy will have loads of complaints about lack of bins.BRING IT HOME YOU PIGS.
    horses are not meant to be on it,I would not like to see quads or anything motorised on it.I presume that is the case.

BBM77 wrote: »

:D:D I doubt it was people dropping the horse manure :D:D

If as you said it will have chippings, then there is no need to wait to make judgement as chippings are not a suitable surface for the likes of wheelchair and bicycle users.

Here's a screenshot from that FB post

18050019-7B1E-4E78-8B9F-8BB76FBAB19A_zps8r2ezwlu.png[/URL]

• Advertisement

Ah! Tar & Chip ........ that makes a huge difference, and should provide a somewhat reasonable, though not ideal, surface for wheeled vehicles.

If done well it could suffice until funds are available for a full tarmac finish.

Advertisement