Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2016: Female Applicants

• 18-04-2016 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

So, Everyone knows that the PSNI is a male dominated job.

This thread is aimed at providing a neutral space for female recruits to talk about certain elements of the recruitment process and entrance to GV that don't specifically apply to our male counterparts.

What this thread is not for is male-bashing or complaining that the process is designed for males in any way.

Any posts which appear to do this will be removed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyABC

Lovely idea Delilahbeau!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

Everyone in C3 has just received their results from the AC. If you are reading this, you have probably passed. Well done.

Now the real work starts. If you haven't already started training for the PCA, get off your bum and start already, even if you haven't got your invitation yet.

I failed my first PCA by ten seconds and redone it three months later. I beat my initial score by 16 seconds.

My advice, is start lifting weights. Sure, it's not the Cardio that you need for the PCA, but it teaches you a discipline that can be transferred into your Cardio routine, that does make a difference in your performance.

That being said - a sugar boost always helps. I had a packet of Trebor strong mints with me and devoured half a pack before I went in. Either way, I passed, so something helped.

Well done on passing the retest. 16 seconds is some difference! What are the sessions they talk about if you fail? Or did I imagine that? Praying Aunt flow doesn't visit when it's PCA day...but I guess as they see it, the day u need that level of fitness is the day these things might be occurring too.

LadyABC wrote: »
    Well done on passing the retest. 16 seconds is some difference! What are the sessions they talk about if you fail? Or did I imagine that? Praying Aunt flow doesn't visit when it's PCA day...but I guess as they see it, the day u need that level of fitness is the day these things might be occurring too.

I was proud, and now I'm set to start GV in 6 weeks time, I'm super excited. 2 years of hard work has paid off.

Mine did, but hey, that's just what we have to put up with. We'll have to deal with it on the job, so just try and ignore it.

The sessions you do get, but i could never get to. They were at really awkward times and to get to where they are is a 4 hour round trip for me. So i worked on my own with the guidelines they give me and it done the job. If you don't get it first time, try you best to go to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

Excellent thread Dililahbeau!! Thanks a bunch for all the useful info!

• Advertisement

Excellent thread Dililahbeau!! Thanks a bunch for all the useful info!

You're very welcome Bunsen. I just reckon that if I can help one person, then a job is worth doing. Also my main argument of going through this process to begin with.

I'll PM you that stuff shortly. I have a cat biting my arm at the minute.

Maybe , Delilahbeau, you could post some juice recipes on here for us clueless females??????

Maybe , Delilahbeau, you could post some juice recipes on here for us clueless females??????

HHAAH! I am no Deliah Smith, that is for sure.
    Just think Porridge with a load of fruit and a wee taste of honey and blitz it together. ?taken-by=delilahbeau

I am totally cacking my pants. Can't wait to hear when pca is but at same time don't want to know so I have more time to de-flubber. Thank goodness for this forum to obsess over and try to calm myself down lol

Ha ha ha thanks Delilahbeau! Bet the cats not wanting share of that tho!! Ha ha ha

• Advertisement

LadyABC wrote: »
    I am totally cacking my pants. Can't wait to hear when pca is but at same time don't want to know so I have more time to de-flubber. Thank goodness for this forum to obsess over and try to calm myself down lol

Me too LadyABC!! But at least we are not alone now, we can cack together!!!:p

Me too LadyABC!! But at least we are not alone now, we can cack together!!!:p

lol! Hooray!! :-)

I'm concerned about GV though - I'm currently two months in to growing out a very short pixie crop. It's too short to get extentions at the minute, so I'm going to have to invest in a serious amount of bobby pins. I'm down right refusing to get it cut though. I have a wedding to grow it for!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chez123

I'm concerned about GV though - I'm currently two months in to growing out a very short pixie crop. It's too short to get extentions at the minute, so I'm going to have to invest in a serious amount of bobby pins. I'm down right refusing to get it cut though. I have a wedding to grow it for!

Could you not pin it all in and then get one of them fake buns rather than extensions? I have extensions at the minute I'm dreading if I get in possibly having to get rid of them cause they are so long. Plus no more nails or eyelashes :( girl problems lol

Chez123 wrote: »
    Could you not pin it all in and then get one of them fake buns rather than extensions? I have extensions at the minute I'm dreading if I get in possibly having to get rid of them cause they are so long. Plus no more nails or eyelashes :( girl problems lol

See, im not a girly girl at all - you couldn't pay me to wear false nails or eyelashes. im debating getting short extentions to give me a smarter appearance though - at the minute I am very much at the mullet, thick wayward inbetween stage which is horrendous looking, no matter what I do with it!

I like the fake bun idea, u can tuck your hair in to it and Bobby pin any tricky bits. Some of them look gorgeous and nice and smart looking!

any idea where i can get one, girls??

eBay is probably best bet, and variety to get the right colour for you. I know you wouldn't think you would get nice ones in shops like home bargains, but keep an eye out, pretty sure it was couple years ago though but I remember seeing some nice quality looking ones in those kind of shops.

any idea where i can get one, girls??

I'd probably just get on of Amazon or eBay just to see what you thought of it and to see if your hair was long enough to clip into it. Then if you liked it maybe look at getting a better quality one of the Internet. There's loads of places do them. Just type in hair piece's.

On a completely different topic. I've started training for the PCA. For the last 2/3 years I've went to the gym about 5 times a week but all I do is strength training so I've now found I can't run the length of myself which I was shocked at considering how much training I do. Did you do much cardiovascular training for the PCA? I know being strong will help me but I'm panicking now I might be nowhere near fit enough for the running bits. I read the guideline to be something daft like being able to run 5k in 25 mins. I'm nowhere near that. But I was thinking of maybe doing more sprinting training for short amounts of time as the PCA will only be 4 minutes rather than attempting to get my longer distance time down. What approach would you take on it?

Chez123 wrote:
    I'd probably just get on of Amazon or eBay just to see what you thought of it and to see if your hair was long enough to clip into it. Then if you liked it maybe look at getting a better quality one of the Internet. There's loads of places do them. Just type in hair piece's.

Good idea. I've just blow dryed it back instead of forward, and very much resemble David Tennant. Scottishesque accent included. I may have to let it grow a bit more then invest in one.

As for your training. Small sprints. Up stairs if you can to intensify it. Start and aim for 10. Up it the next time, so in and so forth until you feel more confident about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

Chez123 wrote: »

On a completely different topic. I've started training for the PCA. For the last 2/3 years I've went to the gym about 5 times a week but all I do is strength training so I've now found I can't run the length of myself which I was shocked at considering how much training I do. Did you do much cardiovascular training for the PCA? I know being strong will help me but I'm panicking now I might be nowhere near fit enough for the running bits. I read the guideline to be something daft like being able to run 5k in 25 mins. I'm nowhere near that. But I was thinking of maybe doing more sprinting training for short amounts of time as the PCA will only be 4 minutes rather than attempting to get my longer distance time down. What approach would you take on it?

its a just under 4 minutes best effort time.

Ideally, if you can set one up in your gym (or something remotely similar) then this would be your best bet training wise. Failing that, yes hill sprints or certainly High, intensity, interval training will see you through better than a long jog.

Gym work should mean you have no issues with push/pull and dragging the heavy bag/jumping the wall.

All I did was add in a few sprinting sessions outside after my normal weights workout. Did that a couple weeks prior to my pca and was fine. :)

Thanks guys! Some helpful advice there. less panicked now. I've been planning on adding 15 mins HIIT to the end of my workouts anyway to try and lose a few extra pounds for holidays coming up so I might just keep focusing on that and maybe a spin class a week rather than the 5k runs. I can feel shin splints already coming on from the few I've done. Although I do know i will probably have to improve my overall fitness if I ever get into GV, but sure goodness knows when that will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Autumn sunset

Hey ladies, new to the forum although have been creeping on it for months lol... Can't run the length of myself either so fairly worried, but have a very fit pal who seemingly wants to make me a project so fingers crossed! Have been loving all the information on here, so many unanswered questions finally getting some light shed upon, so thank you all :)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Hey ladies, new to the forum although have been creeping on it for months lol... Can't run the length of myself either so fairly worried, but have a very fit pal who seemingly wants to make me a project so fingers crossed! Have been loving all the information on here, so many unanswered questions finally getting some light shed upon, so thank you all :)!!!

I did the Couch 2 5k a few years ago and highly recommend for any new runners. Plenty of apps available to get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

Homer01 wrote: »
    I did the Couch 2 5k a few years ago and highly recommend for any new runners. Plenty of apps available to get you started.

Yeh like the dominos app.

This made me laugh!! That apps probably the reason I can't run 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

That's for when you're in GV ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This thread has been closed for the following reasons:

1. "...for female recruits..." - We don't permit threads which discriminate based on grounds of age, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, political opinion or religious belief. All are included, or all are excluded. No exceptions.

2. There are no elements of the recruitment process/entrance to GV that apply specifically to one sex or another. Please see our Equality of Process statement in the Guidance for Applicants booklet here for more information.

3. Imagine if someone had started a thread entitled: "PSNI Recruitment 2016: Male Applicants" and said it was "for male recruits". Female applicants would be up in arms, and rightly so. If I would close down such a thread in a heartbeat (and I would), then I must act accordingly here too.

4. "Any posts which appear to do this will be removed. " - Appointing yourself as a Moderator when you've been here all of a month has done nothing for your credibility. The last time I looked, you didn't have "Moderator" under your name, you didn't get to set forum policy, and you didn't have the necessary permissions to enable you to remove posts.

The only reason you don't have a profile warning or infraction for this is because you're relatively new to the forum. Having said that, for the sake of clarity, you are not permitted to start threads of this nature in this forum again.

Thread closed.

-Shield.

So, Everyone knows that the PSNI is a male dominated job.

This thread is aimed at providing a neutral space for female recruits to talk about certain elements of the recruitment process and entrance to GV that don't specifically apply to our male counterparts.

What this thread is not for is male-bashing or complaining that the process is designed for males in any way.

Any posts which appear to do this will be removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement