Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite horror novel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm shocked I never gave mention to HP Lovecraft!

Everyone, please give mention now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

for me it has to be King's "The Stand". a good book. not particularly scary, but a very good read.

any good horror ebook sites? :P

also, i agree that King & Straub's "Black House" is very difficult to get into...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

All I read in me mid-teens was James Herbert. The Rats trilogy was pure class, and also extremely vivid and realistic and frightening. Clive Barker's The Damnation Game, that was good too. Nothing scares the shít out of ye like a good horror novel. Never been scared by a film, ever. Except Police Academy VI :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by Count666

Best novel I have read in the last few years has to be Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

I saw the movie when I was a kid......... great crack, scary too.

I really liked James Herberts '48 -it's the only book I've read that really conveys an action-packed feel.

48 by James Herbert is an excellant novel. 28 Days Later is awful similar to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Depends on the age you are when you read a novel.
    IT by S.King was a book that made me look at clowns in a whole different light.
    Was a great book..but Dont like much of his stuff now..I did like the fantasy book he wrote...forget name.
    Rats by Herbert...Dean Koontz also had one about some Genetically alterted animal which was good.
    I used to be a Librarian in the school (many moons ago now!)..And read so many Horror books.
    Dont read at all now since damn PC's came into my life..and marriage and Kids...and work....and....aw well.:)
    DemonBaby/Nem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭patch

Watchers by Koontz, I think you mean.
    Shame they made a sh1te of the movie......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PatLam

Well, that must have been IT by Steven King
    Don't know why, but it scared me to death, since then, I can't see clowns anymore...
    And I must say that AMERICAN PSYCHO by Bret Easton Ellis had some impact on me too, even though it's not a real horror book. I just can't trust a man in a suit anymore...:)

The Dark by James Herbert is one of the best horror novels I have ever read. Full of explicit violence, The shot gun between the legs being just one example. Its better than 90% of todays pussy horror which usually involves a friendly ghost help the good guys defeat evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I agree darko, The Dark is a great read. The 1st Herbert book I bought meself I think. Must be about 13 years ago now probly. I have about 15 of them and only 2 or 3 were average. The rest, class. Must read them again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Mine has to be Frankenstein.

Also had an illustrated Ladybird version of it when I was a kid that made my blood curdle.

I like Edgar Allen Poe too, even if I find his stuff induces melancholy rather than horror in me.

Really liked Clive Barker's books of blood when I was a teenager, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

'The Rats' by James Herbert, the story was plausible and the whole concept gave me nightmares. Herberts early stuff was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Just finished "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson, and loved it. It's very short (~160 pages), and really compelling throughout, so it's easy to finish it in one sitting.

It's basically the story of a sole survivor of a virus that wiped out humanity. Except it didn't exactly wipe them out - it turned them all into vampires, and each night, they come to his house and try to get him to come out. In the story, he finds out that Vampires have always been caused by this virus, and a lot of the legends surrounding them (mirrors, garlic, crosses) have logical explainations.

If you're thinking this sounds familiar, you'd be right - it was written in the 1950s, and was the inspiration for 'The Omega Man' and other films.

Seriously good book.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

The greatest horror novel written since World War 2 is 'Ghost Story' by Peter Straub.
    I also recommend 'The Ceremonies' by T.E.D Klein

Advertisement