Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

We are applying for wrong force everyone, just had to make a call to the Garda in relation to matter with work and was told that the station who would look after the area are on leave at the minute until 24th November and would contact me on their return! Makes you wonder!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

They probably get time off in July as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

Derob wrote: »
    We are applying for wrong force everyone, just had to make a call to the Garda in relation to matter with work and was told that the station who would look after the area are on leave at the minute until 24th November and would contact me on their return! Makes you wonder!!!

Too far away for my liking and I don't think the Mrs would let me sell our house and take her out of her job too lol. The time off in July would be nice though hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34928652

Sounds promising.

This section would probably be of most interest to those in the 1405 and the newest campaign. -

"The PSNI is to get an additional £32m a-year over the next five years in the 'Fresh Start' deal, but that money has to go on recruitment and investment in the future of policing."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

This is gonna be a random question, maybe anybody in Garnerville or even serving can ask this or anybody who knows, I have always seen officers wearing digital watches lol, I wear a metal bracelet watch on my wrist, I can understand though the convience of a digital watch as I know many in the army and even marines are always advised to wear digital watches to track time etc, can I ask are you actually advised to wear or get a digital watch in the job or in the college, or is it just sheer coincidence that I've seen a fair few wearing digital military style watches. I know this is the most random question haha, just curious lol, I'll probably get myself one if I'm fortunate enough to get in too, has anybody else noticed it too lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

This is gonna be a random question, maybe anybody in Garnerville or even serving can ask this or anybody who knows, I have always seen officers wearing digital watches lol, I wear a metal bracelet watch on my wrist, I can understand though the convience of a digital watch as I know many in the army and even marines are always advised to wear digital watches to track time etc, can I ask are you actually advised to wear or get a digital watch in the job or in the college, or is it just sheer coincidence that I've seen a fair few wearing digital military style watches. I know this is the most random question haha, just curious lol, I'll probably get myself one if I'm fortunate enough to get in too, has anybody else noticed it too lol

Coincidence. You'll want a watch of some kind because you'll be constantly writing in your notebook but it doesn't need to be digital. One of my colleagues uses his Apple Watch. Crazy considering it could easy break in a scuffle. Cheap and cheerful has done me well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Highbury my lovely, Santa might get you one :P

Coincidence. You'll want a watch of some kind because you'll be constantly writing in your notebook but it doesn't need to be digital. One of my colleagues uses his Apple Watch. Crazy considering it could easy break in a scuffle. Cheap and cheerful has done me well!

Yeah I was thinking that it was probably coincidence, yeah dude I was thinking cheaper would be better, thanks for the response, random question I know lol.

Mop a top wrote: »
    Highbury my lovely, Santa might get you one :P

Haha, that's what I'm thinking mop ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭WannabePC

You should get yourself a G-Shock mate. They look the part and can take a right battering if it has to. They range from about £60 to £600. Mine was £75 off amazon and I wear it all day until I go to bed. If I were ex military which I could well be but I'll not confirm or deny it, it would be perfect for that kind of usage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Trust me a digital watch is the best option, go for something cheap and durable. I have one, cost me less than £10 in Argos. They are easier to read the time off, glance down and it gives exact minute.

When your in GV, have staff behind you with a clip board marking your every decision, a role actor in your face shouting, trying to remember what legislation you have to cover to make a legal arrest, and what powers give you the right to arrest and the offence your arresting on suspicion of... and a million other things. The last thing you want to do it look down and figure out what time it is lol!! You've to note so many times during practicals, easier you can make it the better. Get a cheap digital watch!!

I personally have a G Shock and it is very easy to read day or night. I prefer the analog/digital versions; best of both worlds.

IMO you don't get cheap AND durable in this world. That goes for watches, torches, footwear etc. YMMV :)

Cheers for the feedback folks, yeah I was actually looking at g shock on Amazon, and they have a g shock watch around 50 quid and its actually in a dark drab green lol, looks smart, if I'm fortunate enough here I'll definitely look into it for sure.

Anyone else constantly refreshing their email today?

I'm fairly sure there'll be nothing before 5pm tomorrow but just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 UsidoreTheBlue

Cheers for the feedback folks, yeah I was actually looking at g shock on Amazon, and they have a g shock watch around 50 quid and its actually in a dark drab green lol, looks smart, if I'm fortunate enough here I'll definitely look into it for sure.

A lot of the younger lads like to get a G Shock thinking it is the only acceptable watch for all the rough and tumble activities! In reality though, you won't be in as many watch threatening situations as you think you will. Itself have a couple of watches. A Timex Marathon (sub 20 quid and has a clearer display than the Casio), a seiko dress watch I got as a present and a Samsung smart watch. I mainly wear the timex but have worn the others. The main thing I would say is make sure it's waterproof and cheap enough that you won't mind too much if you scuff the face. Also, if you are really worried about the band breaking and losing it, get a cheap Nato strap from ebay. I find them more comfortable (I'm allergic to nickel and it keeps the back of the watch off my skin) and they will stay on your wrist even if one of the strap bars gives out.

Merry Christmas folks!!

Here's to a successful 2016 and chance to wear that uniform we so admire :)

Until then let's eat, drink and party like it's 1999 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I can not wasut to get tomorrow and boxing day over. Kids, Santa, School holidays, online learning all going on, not leaving much time for PCA training. Freaking out a bit now :-/

Merry Xmas my boardie buddies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Merry Christmas everyone. This may be your last on civvie street so make the most of it. Have a good day but remember to get back to training on Saturday lol.

Good luck going forward in the new year. I hope so see you all out on the ground soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Happy Christmas everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

Haven't been on here for a while

Merry Xmas folks and a happy new year

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35257175

I hope this doesnt affect recruitment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/test-drive-officer-didnt-know-car-seller-was-dissident-suspect-34615350.html

Its a mobile link, should hopefully work. One momentary lapse has the potential to cost a life.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/test-drive-officer-didnt-know-car-seller-was-dissident-suspect-34615350.html

Its a mobile link, should hopefully work. One momentary lapse has the potential to cost a life.

Wow, just wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

moral of this story?

always buy new ;)

moral of this story?

always buy new ;)

Or trust no one!

Homer01 wrote: »
    Or trust no one!

or don't drive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

Buy a Chinnook.

• Advertisement

or a police land rover. those things look ominous.

but yes hard to beat a chinnook. but who pilots this? granny?

Advertisement