Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather Alarm App

Options
  • 02-04-2016 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a weather app that has an alarm on it that I can program - do you know of one?

For example, if I want to go for a walk on Sandymount, is there an app that would buzz to tell me that there is little/no wind and that the tide is out?

I have separate apps that tell me the wind (Windfinder) and tides but I've to keep checking them and forget!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Dughorm wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm looking for a weather app that has an alarm on it that I can program - do you know of one?

For example, if I want to go for a walk on Sandymount, is there an app that would buzz to tell me that there is little/no wind and that the tide is out?

I have separate apps that tell me the wind (Windfinder) and tides but I've to keep checking them and forget!

Cheers

You mean you check the windfinder app and then open the tide times app but have forgotten what the wind app said the wind speed was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

You mean you check the windfinder app and then open the tide times app but have forgotten what the wind app said the wind speed was?

Sorry, I meant to say that I forget to check the apps altogether!

If there was an alarm or a notification on some app then it might tell me there's perfect conditions for a walk! Tide out and no wind! How rare is that these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Dughorm wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant to say that I forget to check the apps altogether!

If there was an alarm or a notification on some app then it might tell me there's perfect conditions for a walk! Tide out and no wind! How rare is that these days!

Ok but surely if you were thinking of going for a walk you'd wonder what the conditions were and just open the apps and have a look?

If such an app existed (and I don't think it does) it would be notifying you in the middle of the night and at other random times when ever suitable conditions exist and most likely at times when you have no intention of going for a walk. Surely if you decide to go for a walk the simplest thing to do is just check the apps.

I can't see anyone ever creating an app with an alarm to notify of tide position which also has a wind speed feature. There simply wouldn't be the demand for such an app.

Ok but surely if you were thinking of going for a walk you'd wonder what the conditions were and just open the apps and have a look?

If such an app existed (and I don't think it does) it would be notifying you in the middle of the night...

I can't see anyone ever creating an app with an alarm to notify of tide position which also has a wind speed feature. There simply wouldn't be the demand for such an app.

Ok thanks for telling me what I should be doing.

I myself don't see the issue with such an app. But if it doesn't exist I must be ahead of the curve ;) and there is no reason why the app couldn't be programmed for just daytime as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Arcus will accurately tell you when it's about to rain & for how long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

'Rain alarm' isn't bad - and it's free. Not much good for anything but rain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,025 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Don't know of any app but if on android you could have widgets from two apps side by side on the same home screen, for checking them together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I presume a function like that could exist for use by blind people (vibrate or a talking weather alert) on phone so maybe try that area?

Don't know of any app but if on android you could have widgets from two apps side by side on the same home screen, for checking them together

Wonderful idea! I have found one for tides and am looking for a wind widget now.

Does anyone know of any weather radar widgets like the third one on the met website below except for android?

http://www.met.ie/widgets/

Cheers!

Advertisement