Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

good place to buy hi fi stuff

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DavrosUK

Richer Sounds in Dublin did close. From what I heard...from the Belfast store, the went into voluntary liquidation.

The guy that owns Dublin also owns Belfast and they are now handling all enquiries for Ireland.

We are gonna be better off anyway as their prices are much cheaper than Dublins were.

Eg : That Sony pack (SAVE835) that someone mentions is £399.95 sterling in Belfast. Roughtly €600.

I think we'll see a few other retailers in Dublin close as someone also points out, UK web dealers are cheaper than local Dublin prices. Anway, I'll still shop with Richer Sounds as at least they know what they are talking about. The prices on their site have already dropped since Belfast took over.

Bring back the punt !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

anyone know any decent irish sites to buy home cinema kits from??

www.richersounds.ie is the best that I have found.

It depends on what you are looking for.

They will do an amp/receiver and then you can buy a speaker pack, or an all-in-one solution like the Sony DAVS550 or a DVD player with a 5.1 output and an amplifier/speaker kit with a 5.1 input.

Depends on what you want.

Anway.....www.techtronics.co.uk also do some good kits and so do www.unbeatable.co.uk - but both these are UK sites and they don't offer the same sort of warranties etc.

You can buy direct from ...sony.ie - but their prices are nuts.

Also www.buy4now.ie has some stuff on it, but it's an Arnotts portal, so the selection is pretty crap.

The selection is pretty mediocre, but the Richer site is pretty good.

Best to check the stock to avoid disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

the richer sounds irish website doesn't seem to work anymore.

Hi Joey.

I just received a JPW sub woofer from them yesterday.

It did take a few days as they were closed for a shop re-fit.

It's still at www.richersounds.ie

Happy hunting

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    Try Walrus.co.uk too, some very nice equipment. I picked up my speakers there and if they'd ship those they'll ship anything to Ireland.

I'd heartily reccomend these lads, I haven't been to the store but they're extremely helpful on the phone and very knowledgeable.. they know their hi-fi.. plus they're more than willing to ship to Ireland if you ask them (and everything came well well wrapped).. bit hard to get through on the phone but worth it when you do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ricardfred

Just wondering if anyone got a plasma delivered from UK? If so, from where, delivery charge, any problems etc?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

For anyone living in or around Limerick, Savins (on O'Connell St.) are usually pretty good. Their prices are acceptable (for a private Irish shop anyway), they have a good range of AV stuff (mostly Pioneer and Panasonic, but have some super-swanky stuff like Denon and Bose too), there's a Panasonic shop around the back, and they also sell musical instruments and stuff in the basement. Good selection of TVs, too!

Oh, and they do repairs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

this german site http://www.technikdirekt.de/ has some good prices. i got pioneer dcs-222 home cinema system for e208 plus e20 delivery.set it up today and very happy with it. it has optical input so i can connect my sat reciever and xbox with optical lead for 5.1 sound.this is e299 in richer-sounds. gone back up to e329 now. they have a good rating on this german site http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a104724.html . delivered by dhl/securicor and takes about a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

Anybody know where i can get small ( 5mmx20mm , 6.3amp ) glass fuses on the net?i looked around cork with no joy.

cheers

Wavin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

www.technikdirekt.de is well worth a look.

Aersat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pathogan91

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good sites to buy stero equipment (particularly speakers). I can only find Richersounds and Peats, but can't find what I want there. There are some good stuff on UK sites but they dont seem to deliver to Ireland.

Any ideas. The real crime is there's some great US sites that are selling lovely mission's, JBL's and Bose speakers from $100 ???

Any ideas anyone ?
    CALL INTO MADDENS IN PRINCES ST , I THINK THEY DO BOSE ETC OR IF NOT IN STOCK CAN ORDER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Imzadi

Hi lads n ladettes,

I've worked in the car hifi and vehicle security business for 5 years now - A customer of mine has just opened a Shop in Dublin 24 and he sells all top brands aswell as the cheaper end stuff.
    This bloke can hook you up with the latest alarm systems too - Clifford, Cobra.
    He will quote you for fitting aswell and supply. His work is tidy and he can call out to your premises after office hours.

Here's the number 01 4540101, if your interested.

:):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Imzadi

wavin wrote:
    Anybody know where i can get small ( 5mmx20mm , 6.3amp ) glass fuses on the net?i looked around cork with no joy.

cheers

Wavin

Hiya Wavin,

Did you try KC Services ....Karen Curren in Cork...Think she's still in Ovens. Or you could try Sounds Secure in Cork.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

We've just moved house and we've just given our old hi-fi to charity, so I'm back in the market and I haven't a clue! ;-)

I want a shelf system, CD and tuner only. It needs to be good, but not in the anorak zone! ;-)

Today I was in Peats on Dame Street and listened to a Teac system (€699) playing through Bose speakers (an additional €599). Very impressive, beautifully made, but a bit outside my budget. I'd like to limit myself to €1000.

1. Where can I find reviews of new gear?

2. Having read through this thread, are Cloney, Richer Sounds and Peats still the main ports of call in Dublin?

3. Can I send a signal wirelessly through the house? i.e. Could I have the system in the living room, but have speakers in the bedroom? I have CAT5e throughout. Would this be of any use?

Many thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Hi Dinarius.
    When you say shelf system, I assume you mean hifi separates?
    For €1000 your best bet is to look at the second hand market. From my experience of bose speakers, they are AWFUL for the price. No real range and give a sound which seems impressive as they emphasise certain frequencys.

I dont recommend buying stuff based on reviews, but there are some excellent hifi sites out there including audioreview.com and hifichoice.co.uk.

Richersounds are gone from Dublin now - only in Belfast. They were the only Richersounds store not making money from what I hear. Peats is overpriced and the stuff there isnt great in my opinion. Harvey Normans is slightly better. Cloney has good stuff but it's probably over your budget.

I have no idea on wireless signals-I believe you can get digital senders. A single run of Cat 5e would transmit the sound but it wouldnt sound nearly as good as if you had speakers in the room with the hifi.

I hope that helps,
    Mark

P.S - PM sent.

commited wrote:
    Hi Dinarius.
    When you say shelf system, I assume you mean hifi separates?

To be honest, an off-the-shelf complete package would probably suit me.

I've looked at the Sony offerings and been singularly unimpressed. Lousy build quality, IMHO.

As I wrote above, I liked the feel of the TEAC system I saw, but with a bit more to spend, I'd like to know what else is worth considering.

Many thanks.

D.

As far as complete packages go, the Arcam Solo is meant to be fantastic but over your budget. A used Linn Classik would fit the bill nicely, not as good as the solo, but a fantastic bit of Kit.
    Denon do some good all in one offerings. I believe something like this is well regarded: http://www.hifistore.co.uk/product.php?qsProd=DF101.

With all in one "off the shelf" - they're will always be a compromise however. I'm not a fan of TEAC stuff, always found their sound to be rather lacking in both detail and smoothness.

I agree re: the sony stuff - very disapointing - their offerings in every department are getting worse though.

Your best option is always separates.

Committed,

Who sells Arcam and Denon in Dublin?

For £299.95 (excluding the speakers, of course) that Denon seems like good value. Anyone bought online from UK? Are there duty and VAT implications?

When I was last taking a real interest in hi-fi, B&W were considered excellent speakers. Are they still?

Thanks again.

D.

Been having a good look at the Solo on the Arcam site.

Gorgeous!

And the press has been excellent too.

D.

• Advertisement

Cloney Audio stock Arcam - No idea on Denon - most high street stores do.

Buying online in the UK is no big deal - I do it all the time. You pay the uk VAT and there is no customs duty. Only major cost is postage.

B&W are my speaker of choice and always have been. In the house we have a silly expensive pair of B&W 802s, a lovely pair of 602s and a vintage pair of DM7 Mk2's. All fantastic speakers. It really depends on if you like a ported design. Some people dont. The best way to find out what you like best is to go and LISTEN!!

The solo does indeed look lovely and apparently sounds wonderful! It's €1500 from cloney which may kill your budget, but I have a feeling it'd be worth it. The system would warrant decent speakers though - Quad 11L's or B&W 601/602s. You might also like the System Audio speakers.

Give cloney a ring and see if they have a solo in stock. If they do, head in for a demo. Make sure you compare it to whatever separates you could buy for the same price, as you might be able to get a better sound for the same money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Dinarius wrote:
    Having read through this thread, are Cloney, Richer Sounds and Peats still the main ports of call in Dublin?

I've heard of rumours that Hi-Fi corner MAY be coming back!?!

Really?
    I wonder if they'll go towards the AV side like everyone else.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

commited wrote:
    Really?
    I wonder if they'll go towards the AV side like everyone else.. :(

I'm hearing 3 floors split between AV andnd proper Hi-Fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

do cloney have a delivery service, or does any hifi retailer do such a thing?? im car-less and a weak ickle girl :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Amoebo

not sure if they have a delivery service.......i know they do installations but that might only be for gigs etc. a simple phonecall i suppose would find that out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Whit101

Check out Instacom. Based in Sandyford industrial estate. Right on the Luas line. Can pretty much get you anything. Do most names, from high end, LINN, to Denon, Arcam, Bose and B&W et al!
    http://www.instacom.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Amoebo

was down in cloney there and ye they do indeed do installations...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hi All,

Just wanted to add a link or two.

I have used both of these sites and they are a lot cheap then Irish retail shops.

Based in England:
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Fill-Your-Boots-Ltd
    http://www.fillyourboots.com/

Based in Ireland:
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Hi-Fi-Cable-Heaven_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm
    http://www.soundsolutionshifi.com/index.php

Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭animha

Hi, I would really appreciate an urgent response. Friends of mine are getting married on Saturday and I was going to get them a digital camera. Just found out they have one so now thinking that to have decent speakers for general purpose would be cool and that they could then use them for parties etc. also but not sure what you could get for around €300 and where to get them? Based in Rathgar but could go to town or around southside. Cheers,
    Aoife

Advertisement