Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 2016

• 24-03-2016 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Finally nice to be able to get the Spring discussion going ! Lets hope its an active one ! Still need to tick off a proper lightning snapshot within Ireland, and not just a screen grab from video! ha

So we start off the thread with looking at potential for convective weather on Sunday. Its not particularly exciting but warrants a post none the less.

Cape and LI for Sunday afternoon is reasonable. Best area being a few hundred j/kg of cape along the east coast.
    72-505UK_ppk4.GIF

Lapse rates are good and with relatively cold air at height, hail showers will be the order of the day.
    381212.png

With no particular wind convergence of note, showers will be sparodic in nature .
    72-289UK_wav4.GIF.

The lack of wind shear will mean funnel cloud and organised cell modes will be limited. This could change.

Hope my post format is understandable and for any more recent newbies to the thread, feel free to post any questions!

:cool:
    present-weather_1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A level 1 issued for Ireland.
    Storm Forecast
    Valid: Sat 26 Mar 2016 06:00 to Sun 27 Mar 2016 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Sat 26 Mar 2016 06:35
    Forecaster: TASZAREK

A level 1 was issued for Ireland mainly for the severe wind gusts and in lesser extent for excessive precipitation.

SYNOPSIS and DISCUSSION

A high covering S Europe and a ridge forcing up to CNTRL part of the continent inhibits convective activity. A cut-off with wave influencing Balkan Peninsula is located over Ukraine, but due to poor moisture and a lack of steep lapse rates, thunderstorms are unlikely. Isolated convective cells capable of producing occasional lightning are possible near Hungary and SE of Greece in the late forecast period.

The highest probability for thunderstorms during forecast validity is placed around British Isles where the passage of the cold front within the long wave trough is expected. Mixing ratios ahead of the cold air in the warm section will reach up to 7-8 /kg, but due to lack of good lapse rates, almost no CAPE will be available. Isolated convection will develop mostly behind the cold front over marine areas where lapse rates will jump to 7.5 K/km. Due to poor moisture and a low-topped convection with free convective layer of 3-4 km, only small probability for lightning without level threats is issued. Exception concerns Ireland where around 12 UTC a central section of the trough with increased vertical wind shear will pass. Thus an isolated severe wind gusts of convective origin cannot be ruled out. However, due to low equilibrium levels it is questionable if a wind shear confined mostly in 4-6 km AGL layer will contribute to a convective wind gust enhancement.

http://www.estofex.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sferic east of Cashel
    381413.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

That's was a seriously intense squall line that just passed through Dublin Airport. About 60-90 seconds of intense wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yeah its nice to have some convective showers once again.

Another sferic in the Wickla mountains.

A good few sferics around that tipp area now: http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yeah its nice to have some convective showers once again.

Another sferic in the Wickla mountains.

They could be way off going by this map but the location is close enough.

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime#m=sat;r=0;t=3;s=0;d=2;a=2;dc=0;o=0;n=0;y=53.20550585827936;x=-6.361862182617186;z=11;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

I'm watching the snooker on ITV+1 and you can hear the rain pounding the roof of the arena in Manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Nice display of mammatus over Galway city a short while ago.
    No pics because I was driving but hopefully Redsteve was out & about & looking up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Look at that squall line across the UK now. Never seen one quite so impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Lumi wrote: »
    No pics because I was driving but hopefully Redsteve was out & about & looking up :)

Some nice views of mammatus clouds here also in south Laois about a half an hour ago. Absolutely love convective weather so here's hoping a great season lies ahead:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Thunder and lightning in Galway City!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thunder and lightning over Galway city at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

Thunder and lightning over Galway city at the moment

Seen a flash alright. Thought it was a house alarm or something. Heard the rumble about 10 seconds later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Big slap of thunder and lightning in Galway City now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Big slap of thunder and lightning in Galway City now.

In a bar in town the Thunder was louder than the band

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thunder and big showers around 23.00 here near Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I also just heard that thunderbolt in South Galway ten minutes ago........it really shook the house and I'm used to living on a railway line in Dublin! It was followed by another loud bolt but seems to have stopped now. I love. A good thunderstorm :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ha ha, funnily enough I was at the traffic lights on the Tuam Road and spotted them. No pics though.

Very heavy rain here with intense bursts every couple of minutes with some hail mixed in. Lovely to listen to on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Just spotted lightning in east Galway on my way home a few minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Look at that squall line across the UK now. Never seen one quite so impressive.

i wonder was this tragic accident as a result of this squall line?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-35906226

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Thunderstorm near Athboy, Co Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very nasty sky heading towards west dublin now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was driving through Stepaside (in Dublin) about an hour ago and there was a really loud crack of thunder during a heavy rain/hail/sleet shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Was driving through Stepaside (in Dublin) about an hour ago and there was a really loud crack of thunder during a heavy rain/hail/sleet shower.

I though it was outside and not on the TV alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

A few pics of the cell to the south of Dublin airport at 16:00

20160327_155807_zpsr8igie1v.jpg

20160327_162256_zpscelyc3jz.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A good few sferics around the country today, more in the East now, cloud thinning out and becoming more benign here in Kerry

oopfQxp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A massive hailstorm caused a crash on the M8 northbound this afternoon. I was passing through about 30 minutes later (on the diversion route thanks to Google!!) and even then there were piles of slush sitting on the ground. Couldn't believe it given that it was 8º out. Must have been a big ole storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Psychobabble

I drove through this today and it was pretty scary. I was about 2km out from the Rathcormac/Fermoy toll Plaza, heading North, when a very heavy hail shower hit; the temperature gauge on the car plummeted from 11.5 to 5 in a matter of seconds. I pulled into the overtaking lane to go through the 'electronic tag' lane of the toll plaza, when all of a sudden, I sensed the car sliding around. At this stage (about 1km from the toll plaza) the shower subsided and I started coasting along. When the shower cleared, it became apparent that there was between one and two inches of slushy hail on the carriageway. I didn't dare put on the brakes and became aware of a car spun out into the central median and two others spun out on the hard shoulder. At the other side of the toll plaza, there were about ten cars pulled into the hard shoulder with their hazards going. I'd say the accident occurred minutes, if not seconds after we passed; I hope all are OK. As I said, it was very scary and it just goes to show how unpredictable things can be when driving, as this was totally localised. The conditions on the rest of the journey to Dublin were fine.

• Advertisement

Great hail /sleet showers around Galway today.

Advertisement