Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desirable Locations (family living)

• 24-03-2016 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

What are the best locations for family life in or around Galway city? Daily commute not a factor but would want to be close to the city i.e. no further than Barna.

What are the perceived best schools in the area at present and relative distance to the living locations?

I know of:

Salthill - though I get the impression it has gone downhill with large groups of teenagers causing trouble. Have both heard and seen this to a small extent.

Taylor's Hill
    Barna
    Bushypark

Thanks in advance for sharing thoughts

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Renmore is about the best, quiet, primary school nearby , local shops, close to town and big industries, great playing facilities, reasonable housing though if buying might need to do up .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,651 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What interests does your family have? What would make a location good for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

What interests does your family have? What would make a location good for you?

Thanks for response and appreciate the question. Sort of thing I would ask. Keeping it pretty general at the moment. The usual, schools, sports and general facilities. Galway is pretty small.

I'm more tryimg to figure out what the generally desirable areas within a short circumference are are. Would also appreciate any thoughts on the ones listed above. What's always been attractive, what's in now and has potential.

It's a medium term horizon. While I know Galway pretty well, my knowledge of specific areas, estates and schools are limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

ixus wrote: »
    Thanks for response and appreciate the question. Sort of thing I would ask. Keeping it pretty general at the moment. The usual, schools, sports and general facilities. Galway is pretty small.

I'm more tryimg to figure out what the generally desirable areas within a short circumference are are. Would also appreciate any thoughts on the ones listed above. What's always been attractive, what's in now and has potential.

It's a medium term horizon. While I know Galway pretty well, my knowledge of specific areas, estates and schools are limited.

Taylor's Hill probably the most affluent in the city and Kingston Road too.
    Renmore i would have thought to have lots of rental accomodation and associated students and associated issues. But generally you never hear much of a any trouble in fairness.

Thanks. Yes, students are to be avoided. Plenty of experience on that end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Highfield Park is a nice area. Close to several schools, on bus routes, mostly a pretty settled community. It's very quiet and there are no problems with students or teens or noise etc. It's pretty affordable too.

I think Ard Na Coille is a lovely area too. It's tucked in off Maunsells park and is pretty expensive but it is a really nice little oasis in a very nice central location. It has a big green area/park where you could let small kids out to play and watch from the house, if you have young children of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

bobbyss wrote: »
    Taylor's Hill probably the most affluent in the city and Kingston Road too.
    Renmore i would have thought to have lots of rental accomodation and associated students and associated issues. But generally you never hear much of a any trouble in fairness.

Old Renmore around Renmore road, Dun na mara, lough atalia and the roads with the tree names very much family owned and long term. Lurgan and the newer places at corrib roundabout loads of students. Not a resident but looking at a couple of places there myself for buying recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Highfield Park is a nice area. Close to several schools, on bus routes, mostly a pretty settled community. It's very quiet and there are no problems with students or teens or noise etc. It's pretty affordable too.

I think Ard Na Coille is a lovely area too. It's tucked in off Maunsells park and is pretty expensive but it is a really nice little oasis in a very nice central location. It has a big green area/park where you could let small kids out to play and watch from the house, if you have young children of course.

Highfield is a nice area but would probably be much more expensive if there was a drive entrance on the Taylor's Hill side.

Tirellan Heights, the part close to GSC is fine and close but I would hate to have to face all that traffic everyday.

Ardalun, (?) off the Thomas Hynes Road is a nice central spot as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Would you consider Oranmore? Close to the city with a village/community feel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Id give the thumbs up for Taylors Hill, also if you are looking around Salthill, look at Oaklands, Dr Mannix Road, Rockbarton, Ocean Wave, Dun Na Carraige etc. Most of the facilities that you would need are are on that side of town, Schools, Univeristy, Hosipitals etc.

• Advertisement

Damiencm wrote: »
    Would you consider Oranmore? Close to the city with a village/community feel

To be honest, haven't been through it. We've been tossing up relocation. It was either along the Dublin coast or around the Salthill area, though not necessarily the place itself, if we do this (for extended family reasons). I would work from home so no commute or traffic to worry about. Already live in a village with a fantastic community close by Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Are you looking to buy or rent?

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I would aim for Renmore also. While there are a number of students living in the area during the college year I have very rarely heard complaints. There is also a number of clubs and parks in the area for kids aswell. Off the top of my head there is a gymnastics club, judo club and some GAA facilities in the area.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Are you looking to buy or rent?

What's your budget?

Don't really want to discuss budget per say. Lets just say I'm interested in a detached home in one of the better areas of Galway. Whether that's walkin condition or at better value but needs work.

As it stands. I would rent for a year before purchasing. Makes sense to test an area before committing to somewhere long term. Unless something really nice came up.

On the student front. I just have no interest in living in an estate with any student housing. I've lived in Maynooth and around UL. Had plenty of fun as a student. That time has passed for me! Couldn't deal with one mid-week night of a big session.

No problem. Understood.

If you're looking detached I think (open to correction), that that would rule out most of Renmore. It's also worth considering that most of the houses there are quite small by modern standards.

As to the "better" areas, forgive me if that sounds a bit like you want so called more affluent type of places. You're probably looking to parts of Salthill, Taylor's Hill and Kingston and also some parts of Knocknacarra (though definitely not some other parts of K'carra). You might want to look at Whitestrand or Grattan Road; very close to town yet near the sea. An issue with these so called better areas is that there may be less rental supply for you to try out the area. Galway's stock of rental housing is of pretty poor standard.

You're not saying your budget, and fair enough, but just to give you an idea. Expect to pay anywhere from 350-400k up to near 2 million. A recent "fixer upper" in Salthill sold for nearly the latter.

There's a strange new trend happening recently around here. Sellers at the upper price range are requiring prospective purchasers to enter Non-Disclosure Agreements as the owners don't want it generally known that the house is on sale. You'll only hear about these ones from personal introduction through an auctioneer.

Finally, don't buy or even rent without considering traffic, which is appalling. Factor in where you live with where you work.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

?Cee?view wrote:
    Finally, don't buy or even rent without considering traffic, which is appalling. Factor in where you live with where you work.

+1. Traffic is awful no matter which side of the city you approach from

+1 to the above. Or Barna, Rusheen Bay, Gentian Hill.

Renmore is grand. I'd be very happy to live there myself. But I don't think it's for the OP.

Appreciate that info. The Non disclosure interests me greatly. Suggests there's a lot more stock available than advertised. Suggests people have to sell because of banks but don't want neighbours to know as it's a small place and word would fly. Could affect a local business.

With that in mind, any suggestions on which auctioneer to engage to find he true stock available?

Lets call that price range a fair estimate.

On the traffic front. Isn't there a new ring road in the pipeline for heading out past Barna?

I know peak traffic is brutal but I am used to that. So used to it, I never travel at peak times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Taylor's Hill and Bushypark are where a lot of hospital consultants live. Nice family houses with good access to facilities- hospital, university, Salthill etc. downside of Bushypark is you really need a car as very little in easy walking distance (unless you live very close to school/mini shop).

For the record- Renmore gymnastics is now in Ballybrit. Fantastic facility!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Agree that Renmore is generally a quiet mature suburb, plenty of family-centred amenities, as mentioned previously. Church, restaurants, gym, gaa etc all very convenient, as is Ballyloughane beach. Also, if you might be travelling to Dublin, you'll at least be on the right side of town for easy access to the motorway (literally 2 hours door to door from Renmore to Dublin).

However, if you're considering a more medium-term plan, you'll probably want to think about secondary schools too, and most of the decent ones are in Salthill, or the other side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Taylors Hill gets a thumbs up from me. Some lovely properties there. Don't overlook Bushypark. Absolutely beautiful walks near the river and a short drive over Circular Road brings you to Salthill. Will you be working on a particular side? My mother found it influenced where we lived as she always chose cycling to work. Barna is beautiful but if you've school going children it'd mean being on the road a lot. Regarding schools, names down early or it won't happen if you're not old Galway.
    Leave your name with some auctioneers and they'll ring you as soon as they've something suitable. An uncle of mine sold a property recently in a fortnight. Certain areas very desirable. PM for any more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Taylor's Hill if you can afford it or maybe look out towards Spiddal if you like Salthill. Maybe Barna...Salthill is ok but like you said, the upkeep hasn't been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Clybaun heights ,large well maintained houses,mostly retired folk,affluent,close to everything,i know of one for sale in a lovley cul de sac ,think its being sold by dng,the people are moving to france i believe,very quiet spot

Taylor's Hill and Kingston both seem to be getting thumbs up here. While both are lovely you really need to consider traffic here as there are several schools in the area. Having said that, the traffic light sequence and junction set up has been changed at the top of Taylor's Hill which has significantly improved things.

Make sure though to see these places (and the traffic), at school drop off and collection times before you commit though.

Clybaun heights ,large well maintained houses,mostly retired folk,affluent,close to everything,i know of one for sale in a lovley cul de sac ,think its being sold by dng,the people are moving to france i believe,very quiet spot

Agreed. As housing estates go, really lovely. These houses are laid out strangely upstairs though with tiny bedrooms which should be larger if they were laid out differently. They could be changed easily.

ixus wrote: »
    On the traffic front. Isn't there a new ring road in the pipeline for heading out past Barna?

Ring road is the right word for it alright.

It will likely be built sometime after the Cork-Limerick motorway is built ('cos it's got lower cost benefit). Don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

?Cee?view wrote: »
    There's a strange new trend happening recently around here. Sellers at the upper price range are requiring prospective purchasers to enter Non-Disclosure Agreements as the owners don't want it generally known that the house is on sale. You'll only hear about these ones from personal introduction through an auctioneer.

Wow. Sounds like an anti-competition conspiracy to increase property prices by preventing people from knowing the available housing stock, ensuring that a correct market valuation can't be achieved. Maybe something that could be investigated by the Gardaí if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Seacrest is another good spot out that side,if you can find one for sale,large well kept houses, the ones behind the shops are not so big,only 15 or so of those though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement