Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health & Safety Regulation of Weedkiller....really ?

• 28-07-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

When buying Roundup last week my father-in-law heard from the guy in the shop that weedkillers etc are soon going to be regulated in Ireland.

Seemingly this means you'll no longer be able to buy the likes of Roundup over the counter and you'll now have to go on a training course and be certified before you can buy use it ?

Surely this can't be true ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The Safe Use of Pesticides Directive (SUD) will be coming into effect in November this year. Anyone who uses pesticides on a large-scale will need a license to purchase over 1L of chemical. Those who sell chemicals will have to do the course too.
    Retail outlets will still stock and sell pesticides for the general public but it will not exceed a 1L bottle (this is the gist so far anyway). We don't know if the price will increase slightly and the concentration of active ingredients will decrease.

You'll still be able to buy round-up in December but for any bottle over 1L, you'll need a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

The Safe Use of Pesticides Directive (SUD) will be coming into effect in November this year. Anyone who uses pesticides on a large-scale will need a license to purchase over 1L of chemical. Those who sell chemicals will have to do the course too.
    Retail outlets will still stock and sell pesticides for the general public but it will not exceed a 1L bottle (this is the gist so far anyway). We don't know if the price will increase slightly and the concentration of active ingredients will decrease.

You'll still be able to buy round-up in December but for any bottle over 1L, you'll need a license.

Just went on the website and it's dreadful. No clear information at all.

http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/sud/

So basically if you want more than 1L all you have to do is go to more than one store and buy a litre in each!

...or buy from Amazon.co.uk and have it delivered through Parcel Motel!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roundup-Pro-Biactive-360-Glyphosate/dp/B007GU64DY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438087917&sr=8-1&keywords=roundup+biactive

radar0976 wrote: »

So basically if you want more than 1L all you have to do is go to more than one store and buy a litre in each!

I rang the Dept. because the website couldn't answer my queries and their answer was to "check the website".
    I rang a few Teagasc offices and they all told me different things.
    I contacted a College lecturer and he set me straight.
    The whole thing is chaotic and such a shambles.

If you use a lot of product, start stockpiling. 20L drums of roundup are about 150 euro and have a good shelf-life. I can guarantee that after Nov. 30 you won't be able to buy 1L of roundup for 7.50.

I write this as a warning to you: it is probably not legal for you to get someone who has the license to buy the product on your behalf, so don't do that. I could get banned from boards for suggesting illegal activity, so I write this only to tell you not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

I bought a litre of Roundup Biactive on Saturday in a Co-Op, and had to give name and address for it; first time I have had to do that. As they buy in bulk, maybe they have to account for sales?

johnb25 wrote: »
    I bought a litre of Roundup Biactive on Saturday in a Co-Op, and had to give name and address for it; first time I have had to do that. As they buy in bulk, maybe they have to account for sales?

My father-in-law had the same experience when he purchased some last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

My father-in-law had the same experience when he purchased some last week.
    It's just an attempt to limit the spraying of known carcinogens and poisons on this land famed for natural products all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/sud/

...or buy from Amazon.co.uk and have it delivered through Parcel Motel!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roundup-Pro-Biactive-360-Glyphosate/dp/B007GU64DY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438087917&sr=8-1&keywords=roundup+biactive

is it possible to do this, i mean buy 5 litres of roundup or gallup from amazon and have parcel motel deliver it

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Surfn wrote: »
    is it possible to do this, i mean buy 5 litres of roundup or gallup from amazon and have parcel motel deliver it

I think PM may have some restrictions on what you can ship with them, and this may fall foul of that. Check their T&C.
    Other than that, I don't see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

thanks, was just looking into spraying the garden myself but wasn't sure if i could without doing the course

• Advertisement

Am registered with the DAFM (haven't received my license 6 months on!) but was told by one vendor a few days ago that they are allowed sell herbicides again but will just need name and address of purchaser. He said this relaxation will last about a year: maybe because DAFM made such a mess of trying to rush it through?

Advertisement