Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sing Street

• 07-03-2016 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

Just seen the trailer for this movie tonight on Sky News and within the first 2 seconds I could see a number of factual errors.

Cushelle in 1980 :D
    King crisps in 2008 packaging

Loads more if you look.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Back in the 1980's as well they didn't have the ability to nitpick the fun out of any movie before it was released!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thread lacks a sense of perspective. 2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

King crisps in 2008 packaging

Damn that's a pity, could have been in the running for an Oscar if it wasn't for that awful faux pas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Everyone I know who's seen it is raving about it. Can't wait to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

david75 wrote: »

Hah! Raving is 90s.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Started in 86/87 actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Buddy Holly sang about raving in the 1950s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

david75 wrote: »

It's brilliant! Saw it last night......can't wait for the soundtrack. 80s memories;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's brilliant! Saw it last night......can't wait for the soundtrack. 80s memories;)

Is it out on general release now?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tomorrow (17th). Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Well spotted!

I love spotting these things in movies.
    The main character holding a coffee cup in one shot, then it's nowhere to be seen in the next.

There's a famous scene in Star Wars of a storm trooper smacking his head off a bulkhead. It never got edited out.

Or the entire Michael Collins film for historical inaccuracies! :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Is there any explanation as to the inclusion of a black ethnic character in Dublin in 1980?And I don't mean mixed race like Phillo and Paul Mcgrath.Strikes me as tokenistic.If they really felt the need to make one of the main characters ethnic it would have been more believeable to make him Chinese as they were well established as a community in Ireland when the film is set.

Is there any explanation as to the inclusion of a black ethnic character in Dublin in 1980?And I don't mean mixed race like Phillo and Paul Mcgrath.Strikes me as tokenistic.If they really felt the need to make one of the main characters ethnic it would have been more believeable to make him Chinese as they were well established as a community in Ireland when the film is set.

Maybe the actor was just really good so they cast him/her?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Maybe the actor was just really good so they cast him/her?

He'll be a shoo in to play Dev then if they make another series of Rebellion.

He'll be a shoo in to play Dev then if they make another series of Rebellion.

I don't really find it that unbelievable that a black family lived in Dublin in the 1980's though. Sure there wasn't many but it's not something I'd worry about in a casting session for something like this.

[edit]
    Ah I just watched the trailer - the kid looks cool. Is it possible that there's actually a subplot about having to get a black guy in the band for them to be cool?
    [/edit]

Although this review would indicate that he's not really used much -
    The biggest shame of the plot is that despite initially looking as though it might subvert expectations regarding Ngig, it ultimately uses him as little more than set-dressing - although he is not the only band character who is under-written.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't really find it that unbelievable that a black family lived in Dublin in the 1980's though. Sure there wasn't many but it's not something I'd worry about in a casting session for something like this.

[edit]
    Ah I just watched the trailer - the kid looks cool. Is it possible that there's actually a subplot about having to get a black guy in the band for them to be cool?
    [/edit]

Although this review would indicate that he's not really used much -

The film poster and publicity shots give the impression that hes a major character,suspect his inclusion was an afterthought to make the filmmakers appear down wit da modern kids.

The film poster and publicity shots give the impression that hes a major character,suspect his inclusion was an afterthought to make the filmmakers appear down wit da modern kids.

It seems from that review that most of the band aren't really well written characters and are more just props around the main lad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The black kid is very much a token character I'm sorry to say. He has about 3 or 4 lines in the whole film. Most of them in his first scene - which is quite funny. After that he just stands in the background. I felt sorry for the kid. It's true that the other band mates aren't really developed either, but his character definitely comes across like an afterthought. An rather anachronistic one at that.

Like Once, I'd suggest Sing Street is set in an alternate reality Dublin that mixes different periods. We get the 80s fashion and music but not much else from that period. Reynor's long haired, pot-smoking character looks like he could have walked in from a recent American film.

The film is really intended for international rather than Irish audiences. The whole family sub-plot rings false from an '80s Irish perspective. And there's a lot of awkward exposition about who the Christian Brothers are and why there's no divorce in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah flip off with your moaning, SP. I saw this tonight and absolutely loved it. :)
    It's a real feel good movie with lots of laughs, brilliant original music and some breakout acting performances.

Besides the music, the main focus was around the budding romance and the brothers - it didn't bother me that some other characters weren't fully fleshed out. It allowed the two main relationships to stand out more.

I'll probably see it again before it leaves the cinema, and there aren't many movies that I would do that for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Touché. :)

I actually did enjoy the film. What Carney lacks in narrative, he more than makes up for in charm. And even if some of the roles are underwritten, the two leads, especially the girl, are excellent.

There's been a lot of comparisons to The Commitments but I think Sing Street owes more to John Hughes, who I've always had conflicted feelings about but whom seems to be making a resurgence lately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

I went to Synge Street its a kip of a school I hope the film doesn't glamorize the school.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    I went to Synge Street its a kip of a school I hope the film doesn't glamorize the school.

I almost went there, though where I ended up going was just as bad if not worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

My problem with the film was that the original music felt straight out of X Factor. Just felt really hollow and inauthentic. I was never in the moment and always reminded that I was watching a 2016 overly nostalgic version of 80s Dublin. Like Begin Again it's a nice movie but almost aggressively so in a "please love me!!!" kind of way where it goes for big crowd-pleasing moments without ever really earning them. I enjoyed it enough but I wouldn't mind never seeing it again.

Also while we're picking nits
    the DART scene drove me crazy where it was clear they were in Blackrock and then the very next shot it was Killiney.
    Reminded me of in Frank where the beginning was set in England but they shot it in Bray and when the line "we're going to Ireland" comes up it's like "Wait, what?" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Seen this last night. Overall a very enjoyable experience, I must say i found myself smiling and laughing my way through a lot of the movie.

The trailer doesn't really do it justice, as the movie covers a whole host of more serious issues in Ireland during the period.

For me a very solid 4/5

Is there any explanation as to the inclusion of a black ethnic character in Dublin in 1980?
    No-one heard of Light a big fire?

edbrez wrote: »
    No-one heard of Light a big fire?

I assume you're talking about Owen Conroy in which case you didn't fully read my post.

He might be mixed-race now but he was black in 1985. Nothing sadder than looking back 30 years earlier wearing politically-correct goggles.

edbrez wrote: »
    He might be mixed-race now but he was black in 1985. Nothing sadder than looking back 30 years earlier wearing politically-correct goggles.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I hate the way it is marketed " if you like the commitments you will like this!"
    This film should not be mentioned in the same breath as the commitments.
    The music the band play is so ****ing x-factor\one directions. It is totally disjointed as the music the older brother recommends would suggest there were going to come out with something edgey.
    In the end it didn't know what it wanted to be. an awful lot of it felt forced.
    There are some genuinely laugh out loud scene in it and it does bring back a lot of memories of secondary school back.

very disappointed but still enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Simon2015 wrote: »

Another Synger boy here from the 80s. We had our token black guy in the class too. Rest assured, it looked pretty kippy. They did overplay the violence and agression a tad. It was funny to see particular classrooms that I'm pretty sure I sat in, the Principal's office from the primary school, and the school hall, looking an awful lot smaller than in my memories.
    Seen this last night. Overall a very enjoyable experience, I must say i found myself smiling and laughing my way through a lot of the movie.

The trailer doesn't really do it justice, as the movie covers a whole host of more serious issues in Ireland during the period.

For me a very solid 4/5

Yep, that matches my view - very enjoyable. The one thing that did bug me though was when
    the girl explained away the bruise on her face, saying that she really did deserve to be hit. That shouldn't have been left unchallenged, and seemed out of step with the rest of the movie

Advertisement