Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone play X-stiff in irons?

• 17-03-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Going to be looking at new irons soon and was just looking to hear from anyone who plays X-stiff shaft in irons. Specifically anything you noticed from moving from s to X?

Think I'm borderline swing speed wise - just curious to hear some real world experiences

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Going to be looking at new irons soon and was just looking to hear from anyone who plays X-stiff shaft in irons. Specifically anything you noticed from moving from s to X?

Think I'm borderline swing speed wise - just curious to hear some real world experiences
    I tried X100 in my short irons 8 to gw not really that noticeable less feel I would say. I originally went that way to lower my ball flight but it was more my swing than the shafts. I prefer the feel of the S300. It's no real advantage imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Brother had PXI 6.0 which play between stiff and x-stiff. No really difference for me between them and the s300 but the weight difference is big which is probably why ball flight was similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 X200

I have Dynamic Gold x100 shafts in my irons at the moment. The difference for me from s300 was a slightly lower flight, but I have a very high flight anyway, more consistency and a straighter flight. That being said I could still play pretty well with s300 so there's not a massive difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

A shaft that's slightly too soft will be way less of a problem than one that's slightly too stiff. Err on the side of caution.

It sounds like you're not in the space to get fitted, which is fair enough. But anyone just deciding themselves they should use X shafts sounds a bit iffy to me.

Stick with S, or as the guy above mentions, try Project X 6.0. Their 6.5 shafts more closely equates to X100, but the 6.0 is firmer than the S3 for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Go to your local pro/ Fitted with a Mizuno fitting card and use the DNA system, gives you 3 option after 3 swings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

A shaft that's slightly too soft will be way less of a problem than one that's slightly too stiff. Err on the side of caution.

It sounds like you're not in the space to get fitted, which is fair enough. But anyone just deciding themselves they should use X shafts sounds a bit iffy to me.

Stick with S, or as the guy above mentions, try Project X 6.0. Their 6.5 shafts more closely equates to X100, but the 6.0 is firmer than the S3 for sure.

I've been measured at 93mph with a 6 iron on track man so I'm not just guessing but, depending who you talk to this is midrange between S300 and X100.

Don't like Project X so I'm probably looking to try X100 or X100 soft stepped - I've heard the Modus3 120s are a very good shaft also with a similar profile to DG

C-Taper in S+ might be an option also, have that in my 712u and feels good, definitely not too stiff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

neckedit wrote: »
    Go to your local pro/ Fitted with a Mizuno fitting card and use the DNA system, gives you 3 option after 3 swings.

Good idea - I'll have a look online. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Good idea - I'll have a look online. Cheers

Pm me if your Dub local.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PK66

Hi all. I’m trying to find out which shops use mizuno dna? Does anyone know if carrickmines halpenny golf use it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

PK66 wrote: »
    Hi all. I’m trying to find out which shops use mizuno dna? Does anyone know if carrickmines halpenny golf use it? Thanks

Halpenny Lucan had it when I was in there a year or more ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

PK66 wrote: »

I think all McGurks and Halpenny stores have it.

• What feels better and what is giving you more consistency stiff or X?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Im using x100 in Mizuno JPX pros - Im about 92mph with 7 iron - mine are 1/2" longer also.

Have being testing the p790s with the DG105 stiff shaft for a bit and find it easier to get better contact when I swing that bit slower. Find the timing of my swing suffers with the x stiff if im not up or around full speed straight out of the blocks

Advertisement