Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Navy ... any info

1151617181921»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

Can you take one or two days of during recruit training to attend something really important eg; Job interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

This 'job interview' is more important than the recruit training that you are undertaking for a career in the Naval Service?

Perhaps you ought to reconsider your priorities.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

tac foley wrote: »
    This 'job interview' is more important than the recruit training that you are undertaking for a career in the Naval Service?

Perhaps you ought to reconsider your priorities.

tac
    Its up to me what I want to do with my future. I only used a job interview as an example.
    I'm looking for someone to answer the question and not be a dick ;)

Taking time out of your recruit training for a job interview will likely get your sorry ass kicked off the recruit training course.

Insulting me gets you no banana.

Try it and see how 'understanding' your recruit trainers really are.

tac

I wasn't in the PDF, but I was in the British Army for 33 years. Full-time, no reserve.

Recruit training staff are not well-known for having a sense of humour.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

azure wrote: »
    Can you take one or two days of during recruit training to attend something really important eg; Job interview?

No unless its a funeral.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A couple of posts have been reported, so I've had a look at this thread today, including the deleted posts.

Although I have no idea how this escalated and became hostile, I think overall the points have been made and sanction is not warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

azure wrote: »
    Its up to me what I want to do with my future. I only used a job interview as an example.
    I'm looking for someone to answer the question and not be a dick ;)

If you reckon going for a Garda interview during your recruit training looks good to a potential interviewer, then by all means crack on. But if you fail to get a place in templemore, you'll be the **** who failed the garda interview during his NS recruit training, which will be your personal cross to bear for your more than likely short time in the Defence Forces.

It's make-your-mind-up time, fella.

a.

or

b.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pdforra-hundreds-bail-out-of-naval-service-over-pay-393071.html

The naval service is haemorrhaging enlisted personnel because of poor pay and a recruitment drive to plug the gaps will not work unless wages are significantly improved, it has been claimed.

Gerry Rooney, general secretary of PDForra, the association that represents frontline soldiers, sailors and aircrew, said the low level of entry pay will “totally undermine” the ambitious recruitment plans announced by Defence Minister Simon Coveney.

A year after initial entry, the pay of a private soldier or seaman is just €21,828, and PDForra claims that, in some cases, sailors are receiving less than the minimum wage while working on Operation Pontus, the humanitarian mission in the Mediterranean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Internet Ham

Scratch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

So I have my medical in july for the navy after getting through the interview in the last round, im just wondering does anybody know what the pay is exactly for being away for the 4 weeks?

€20 a day after tax approx so €140 a week.

Ordinary Seaman at sea earns €270 approx a week after all deductions.

So you will get €410 a week at sea for maybe the first six (6) to (10) mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

Time to revive this thread ����

Quick one, don't know if it's still a thing but if you enlist and wish to leave during your training or what you're contracted to (I don't know if it's a 2 year contract you sign or what not) do you have to pay or "buy yourself out" ?

By no means necessary do I plan on doing this but I am wondering if that is still a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

Time to revive this thread ����

Quick one, don't know if it's still a thing but if you enlist and wish to leave during your training or what you're contracted to (I don't know if it's a 2 year contract you sign or what not) do you have to pay or "buy yourself out" ?

By no means necessary do I plan on doing this but I am wondering if that is still a thing.

You sign a 5 year contract. Yes you will have to buy yourself out if you want to leave within the 5 years. The buy out cost depends on what branch you are in. I think its about 200e for seamens and 2grand for mechs and comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

MRLAZY wrote: »
    You sign a 5 year contract. Yes you will have to buy yourself out if you want to leave within the 5 years. The buy out cost depends on what branch you are in. I think its about 200e for seamens and 2grand for mechs and comms.

Cheers for the reply. Also quick one, I'm sure it's been asked 110 times but Ive seen about 10 different answers. If successful, training, is it straight away on the ships and out in the sea or in the barracks on land for the initial 17 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Rescueme0007

I was previously a member of the NS, however I retired in the summer of 1999 having completed 21+ years. The service has changed greatly during that time but the fundamentals remain the same.

Join as a recruit, enduring recruit training, I recollect it being 16 weeks. thereafter as an ordinary rate one typically is assigned to one of the branches, e.g. engineering, seamen, logistics etc.,

Sent to sea upon joining a ship. Thereafter ones life is dictated by the ships operational profile (patrol plan). Lots of time at sea. It can be great fun and inordinately boring depending upon the tempo of the patrol.

You'll need to be able to subordinate your desires to the demands of the service and specifically your unit. You'll serve with all sorts of people in potentially stressful situations. Remember that the NS is operational, the sea is always seeking it's next opportunity to send you to perdition. Ones development within the service is down to a number of factors, ability, opportunity, interests etc., but above all down to ones commitment and willingness to contribute. You will work hard.

Most people who join grow tremendously in character, confidence, durability and capacity. Even if they choose not to stay, they'll be much better able to deal with life's turmoil and challenges thereafter.

Advertisement