Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I explicitly remember snow on the hills of Mayo late April last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/35780681

They're still very confident in this dry spell. High pressure still dominates this time next week! Only chance of rainfall tomorrow and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

sryanbruen wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/35780681

They're still very confident in this dry spell. High pressure still dominates this time next week! Only chance of rainfall tomorrow and Saturday.

:) so happy as going to the south coast for the weekend and its looking good there on the GFS and on Met Eireann 5 day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Evelyn told us we would most likely have a dry fine patricks day on this evenings broadcast

What a disgraceful forecast with it being just as likely of being wet and windy
    In fact the trend is more and more for the high not too last

Tour good forecaster evelyn but what you said tonight will have been heard by millions planning patricks day and imo you called it way too early and also incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

bit harsh there January Snowstor, even on the 1155 update on radio 1 "thursday looking dry with light winds" , might not be to sunny but its certainly not going to be a wet paddys day this year. a very pleasant one is in store .thankfully :)

• Advertisement

bit harsh there January Snowstor, even on the 1155 update on radio 1 "thursday looking dry with light winds" , might not be to sunny but its certainly not going to be a wet paddys day this year. a very pleasant one is in store .thankfully :)

THe GFS friday 00z run is looking way better for Thursday this morning with most of the day clear until the evening time and even then most of the population not getting rain during daylight.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Never mind the 'weather b's' and 'snow dumps'.
    Just heard someone on the tv-weather, on about an 'Omega Block',
    a super great Omega Block due this week, whoohoo.
    Blue skies & yellow circle.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr2uwkLC_Q3c2OJkm8WBPucIazudnfmrh8LcAQMnuvmJ1vNKhe8Q
    31vbVGulGwL.jpg

Yep. The BBC have officially announced an Omega block and this time next week (weekend) it is still looking very dry with variable amounts of sunshine and cloud with temperatures around normal. This is what I was hoping for! Benign spring weather and we finally got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why can I say? A typically fine spring morning. Calm, bright, broken cloud and mild. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Lovely morning here, warmest day of the year so far. Currently 15.8C.

• Advertisement

Trogdor wrote: »

January 24th is still warmer here :D:P

sryanbruen wrote: »
    January 24th is still warmer here :D:P

Up to 17.1C now, I must say I wasn't expected it to get quite this warm today. Must be a bit of a foehn effect going on as the humidity has been falling quite quickly as well, down to 59% now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bully for you, in Waterford we are stuck in a coastal gloom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Up to 17.1C now, I must say I wasn't expected it to get quite this warm today. Must be a bit of a foehn effect going on as the humidity has been falling quite quickly as well, down to 59% now.

Is your location sheltered Trogdor ? I think you are over by the Wicklow Mountains if my memory serves me correctly which would explain the fohn effect. I see Dublin Airport, Phoenix Park and Casement all just reporting 13C on the 12.00 Report.

12.2C here near Tralee, overcast with just the odd brief burst of sun, mist also blowing about coming from the SW where the low cloud is scraping off the mountains.

Not bad though.

Plenty of clouds here but the sun is still blazing out! It feels like late May with that sun, not the middle of March.

Is your location sheltered Trogdor ? I think you are over by the Wicklow Mountains if my memory serves me correctly which would explain the fohn effect.

Being in the lee of the wicklow mountains and by the coast tends to give us a bit of a micro-climate here I think, especially when there's a moist westerly/south-westerly we can be a couple of degrees warmer than other places. The station is a bit sheltered in that it's in a back garden in a housing estate however it's is on a pole about 3 meters up, well above any nearby walls/hedges/houses and usually reads fairly accurately. I see that a shankill whether station also maxed out at about 16C earlier on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

And a few miles up the hill we got a miserly 14.3C...a long way short of our January high (15.5C) !

And a few miles up the hill we got a miserly 14.3C...a long way short of our January high (15.5C) !

Same story here... :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

High of 16.1c here in Dublin 16. A fine Spring day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

What a beautiful day that was here in Dublin.

No wind out the back now , temperature at a lovely 11.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

About 30 seconds of sunshine here in Waterford City with a Max of 13.0c,

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Stunning sunshine in West Cork. Out at galley head and blue Sky's as far as the eye can see

Just lovely

. Can't get photo of galley head to attach,

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Very pleasant day here in Cork, first properly sunny day in a while. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its like pulling teeth in Waterford, just lurking there showing a hint of stocking but then moving out of sight again. That said brighter than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

was just in Bray was able to walk around with no jacket on makes a nice change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

'Smoke haze' in the 7pm report from Casement, presume that is what it sounds like...

sumtings wrote: »
    Just lovely

. Can't get photo of galley head to attach,

ZiqCNqP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

"13 March 2016 19:02

Today
    Dry and rather cold tonight with clear periods, especially in the south and east, elsewhere will stay rather cloudy. Lowest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees, coldest where skies clear and a slight or sharp grass frost may develop then. Some fog forming also, especially early in the night.

Tomorrow

Dry again tomorrow, generally bright, with sunny spells developing. There will be a light or moderate easterly breeze which will keep it cool in eastern and southern areas with temperatures of about 9 or 10 degrees, milder elsewhere with temperatures of 12 or 13 degrees in the afternoon.

Outlook

Tuesday to Friday: High pressure will continue to remain fixed in the North Sea, extending a ridge across Ireland. The weather will stay settled in easterly winds, which will be mostly moderate in strength. Highest temperatures during the day will be generally in the range 10 to 12 /13 degrees, and will peak on Wednesday around 14 or 15 degrees over Connacht and west Munster. However eastern coastal counties of Leinster and south-Munster will be a few degrees colder due to the onshore wind.

Next Weekend: Little change."

Thats the Met Eireann forecast, looks promising, especially for my location. Never have I seen such a short forecast from RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so it looks like an extended dry spell which I think will come as good news to almost everybody. Models continue to toy with the idea of a colder spell once this high either drifts far enough west or just collapses to leave a vacuum to be exploited by what is slowly developing far to the north and northeast, a large pool of very cold air that could take a run at Scandinavia in about a week from now, then in a second wave could show up over Britain and Ireland -- some maps out recently would suggest temperatures not far above freezing by day and well below freezing at night if this were to materialize (and after the bland pattern most of this winter once we got past the record warmth of December, a colder turn makes sense as blocking seems to be on the increase).

If this were a month ago, someone would no doubt have highlighted this piece of his forecast already. I doubt if it anything that cold will come to pass, however, a cold start to April is likely the way things are headed

Advertisement