Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

New Kanye out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

lordgoat wrote: »
    New Kanye out today.

Indie/Alt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Birneybau wrote: »
    Indie/Alt?
    Idiot/Awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

As unpleasant as you may find it, Kanye in 20 years will be treated with the same respect given to bands like The Cure and Pixies today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

As unpleasant as you may find it, Kanye in 20 years will be treated with the same respect given to bands like The Cure and Pixies today

I don't think so.Perhaps if you compared him to other giants in that specific genre(whoever they might be idk..m&m,snoppy doogy? ..to me rap and hip hop is retarded victim music unless they talking bout the chronic and havin a chill .. but its sacrilege to compare that man to the smiths and the pixies..there is no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

In terms of general appeal, I wouldn't have the Cure and the Pixies in the same grouping. The Cure are a way more widely recognised and appreciated band, with far more hits too.

Kanye is a cultural icon sure, but I don't think his music is anywhere near as creative or as broadly appealing as top indie bands from the past or present who imo have produced timeless music.

I don't think so.Perhaps if you compared him to other giants in that specific genre(whoever they might be idk..m&m,snoppy doogy? ..to me rap and hip hop is retarded victim music unless they talking bout the chronic and havin a chill .. but its sacrilege to compare that man to the smiths and the pixies..there is no comparison.

so much fail. it's like a lovindublin blog post.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Indie/Alt?

meh, genres are mediocre. as i've said on here plenty of times, i'd just put everything under broad headings. Rock/Pop Classical and Country. Just like HMV used to do back in the day. They are unnecessary imo
    Canadel wrote: »
    Idiot/Awful

if you think he's an idiot fair enough, i get that, plenty of idiots make great music.

Also the new Kendrick Lamar isn't too bad. Ye might not have heard of him but he's heading that music festival in marley park. you know the one that has the national playing too. And had Kraftwerk Pheonix VAmp weekend, the chemical brothers headline it over the last few years...

lordgoat wrote: »
    so much fail. it's like a lovindublin blog post.

I have no idea what that means LG ..I think genres do still exist in 2016 a massive 8 years after I last seen this topic discussed on boards ..8,6,4 IDK there is a thread ..alt and indie has retained its borders...some rap could be alt/indie e g sleafords mods and some just isn't e.g american mainstream rap ..dunno why we even discussing this ..I put it down the lack of interesting posts..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I have no idea what that means LG ..I think genres do still exist in 2016 a massive 8 years after I last seen this topic discussed on boards ..8,6,4 IDK there is a thread ..alt and indie has retained its borders...some rap could be alt/indie e g sleafords mods and some just isn't e.g american mainstream rap ..dunno why we even discussing this ..I put it down the lack of interesting posts..:rolleyes:
    Alt. and indie has borders? Why wasn't I informed? :(

• Advertisement

Alt. and indie has borders? Why wasn't I informed? :(

Dunno man..but why not have just one music forum so ..there aint all that much activity on any forum cept the gig forum ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Dunno man..but why not have just one music forum so ..there aint all that much activity on any forum cept the gig forum ..
    Why not just have one forum on boards.ie, full stop. Threads about Radiohead right next to threads about feeding chickens.

Why not just have one forum on boards.ie, full stop. Threads about Radiohead right next to threads about feeding chickens.

I am arguing against mushing all music in one genre.

Twee. wrote: »
    Picked up two tickets, beans on toast for the rest of the weekend :pac:

Congrats for buying into that marketing routine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just picked up tickets for God is an Astronaut, been a while since I've seen them.

Anyone see God is and Astronaut last night in Galway or heading to Cork tonight? Looking forward to it now.

Anyone see God is and Astronaut last night in Galway or heading to Cork tonight? Looking forward to it now.

Seen them a few years ago yea they were great but i dont know that their discography extends much past those heady days of the debut ,,they have serious competition these days and I wouldnt consider them as alt or indie either but sure when did that ever matter.

Very disappointing to see Bon Iver not playing Ireland on their upcoming tour. This is becoming a bit of a theme this year (more than I remember in previous years)

So far, bands that I wanted to see, and usually play here are - Russian Circles, 65dos, Wild Beasts ( I know they played EP) and now Bon Iver, and I'm sure there are plenty more this year.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Very disappointing to see Bon Iver not playing Ireland on their upcoming tour. This is becoming a bit of a theme this year (more than I remember in previous years)

So far, bands that I wanted to see, and usually play here are - Russian Circles, 65dos, Wild Beasts ( I know they played EP) and now Bon Iver, and I'm sure there are plenty more this year.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

Lack of suitable venues really, Bon Iver doing mid-sized venues on this tour and we simply have none and fitting multiple Olympia dates in often just wont cut it with a hectic touring schedule. Although there is a massive gap between the Bon Iver London dates which they could easily play Bord Gais again maybe in between.

As regards to Russian Circles/65dos, the types of promoters in Ireland that book them have quite limited budgets which were probably just allocated elsewhere.

I would expect to see Bon Iver at EP2017.

• Advertisement

No venue I'd guess.

fanningsessions ‏@fanningsessions 21h21 hours ago Looks like the @sultansofpingfc @whelanslive show on Dec 10th is almost sold out..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭A Happy Death

Is there an album recommendations thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is there an album recommendations thread?

here you go

Radiohead playing 3Arena 20th June 2017. Tickets on sale Friday

2017 European tour dates announced!
    Tickets at www.blonde-redhead.com
    22/02/17 Treviso (IT) @ New Age club
    23/02/17 Lausanne (CH) @ Les Docks
    25/02/17 Barcelona (ES) @ Razzmatazz II
    26/02/17 Madrid (ES) @ Joy Eslava
    28/02/17 London (UK) @ Islington Assembly Hall
    01/03/17 Paris (FR) @ Le Trianon
    03/03/17 Lyon (FR) @ Épicerie Moderne
    04/03/17 Lille (FR) @ L'Aéronef
    06/03/17 Brussels (BE) @ Botanique
    08/03/17 Liège (BE) @ Reflektor
    09/03/17 Kortrijk (BE) @ De Kreun
    10/03/17 Amsterdam (NL) @ Paradiso Amsterdam
    11/03/17 Groningen (NL) @ Vera Groningen
    13/03/17 Malmoe (SWE) @ Malmö Live - The Cube
    14/03/17 Copenhagen (DK) @ DR Koncerthuset
    16/03/17 Warsaw (PL) @ Klub Proxima
    17/03/17 Berlin (DE) @ Columbia Theater Berlin
    19/03/17 Athens (GR) @ TBA
    20/03/17 Istanbul (TK) @ TBA

Dammit No Dublin date,a trip to Amsterdam is in order I think.

Fleet Foxes playing Iveagh Gardens July 2017.

Well that's a balls, Bon Iver has cancelled his European tour.

• Advertisement

Well that's a balls, Bon Iver has cancelled his European tour.

Not the whole thing?

http://pitchfork.com/news/70685-bon-iver-cancel-tour/

Only as far as end of February.

Advertisement