Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring Weather 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Have to say today ended up quite lovely again in Dublin, mostly overcast, but very little wind which made it feel very spring-like even without the temps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nice dry day but its been very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Gonzo wrote: »
    nice dry day but its been very cold.

been a manky wet day in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Awful day in West Clare, torrential rain and a very strong northwesterly wind made it's way ashore for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Today was another pointless chilly and wet day. I'd much prefer spring weather to this. Goodbye winter 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Mars Bar wrote: »
    been a manky wet day in Galway!

Absolutely horrible, didn't let up all day. Can't wait for this crap to be behind us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It'll be spring for a few days sometime in the next 7 to 10 days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After a calm start it has been windy and wet here near Tralee for much of the day although rainfall amounts relativly small at 4.4mm. Got very windy early evening with a gust of 64.4 kph NNW

6.7C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That would be a nice change from the cold if it comes off on Fri

0YkUdtB.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Grand couple of days here, dry, bright and frosty. :)

• Advertisement

Even if it does come off on Friday, we still got hotter weather in December! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Carnacalla wrote: »

maybe so but the sun will have greater radiant heat so it'll feel nicer even if its actually no warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The Winter weather thread is closed and the FI thread is defunct so I might as well post this chart in the "Spring" thread. ;)

gfsnh-1-234.png?6

maybe so but the sun will have greater radiant heat so it'll feel nicer even if its actually no warmer.

That's assuming the Sun will be shining, though. If the sun is shining I can see the locals coming out in their belly tops again.

The current outlook from Met Eireann for after this weekend is temps to stay normal and mild and for it to be settled.

The Winter weather thread is closed and the FI thread is defunct so I might as well post this chart in the "Spring" thread. ;)

gfsnh-1-234.png?6

The models must finally be reacting to the sudden stratospheric warming and the mjo forcing. I'd bank that chart if it were for last month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Some nice sunny intervals here but the wind having a big chill factor. A mild spell would be most welcome as it seems it's been cold now since the start of the year. One bonus factor this time of year is the Suns radiance which does make it feel warmer even in sub 10c temps.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah but the sun (looks like there won't be any....) will make it feel actually warm. In December, the absence of sunshine made it "feel" cold in my region. But at the same time, that sounds confusing and weird since sunshine in Winter normally causes colder conditions.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah but the sun (looks like there won't be any....) will make it feel actually warm. In December, the absence of sunshine made it "feel" cold in my region. But at the same time, that sounds confusing and weird since sunshine in Winter normally causes colder conditions.

Yeah I agree, assuming there's sun it will feel warmer.

The Met Eireann forecast was too vague to gauge whether there would be any Sunshine Friday last night, but now it gives this "Rest of week /Weekend: Rainfall light and often dry but cloudy, much milder with highs of in excess of 10 C."

So it was warmer in December, and unless your one of the lucky people who will get some sun, it has felt warmer too! Still, I did quite like the mild in December, especially the warm nights.

Yeah I agree, assuming there's sun it will feel warmer.

The Met Eireann forecast was too vague to gauge whether there would be any Sunshine Friday last night, but now it gives this "Rest of week /Weekend: Rainfall light and often dry but cloudy, much milder with highs of in excess of 10 C."

So it was warmer in December, and unless your one of the lucky people who will get some sun, it has felt warmer too! Still, I did quite like the mild in December, especially the warm nights.

I despise last December though - mainly due to how wet it was. My top 10 recent favourite months weather-wise:

1. April 2011
    2. March 2011
    3. July 2014
    4. March 2012
    5. June 2010
    6. June 2014
    7. July 2013 / 2006
    8. April 2015
    9. September 2014
    10. October 2010 / 2015

I see the low pressure tomorrow into Wednesday could be a potential storm.

• Advertisement

Nice High Pressure building the weekend with current projections by the GFS for temperatures getting up to around 13-14C by Fri 11th through to Thurs 17th at least ( even warmer Weds 16th -Thurs 17th possibly getting up to 14-15C ) .

xaNzYBM.png

Well enjoy it, because after that brief warm up, we may well be back to square one with below average temperatures and cold rain.

Well enjoy it, because after that brief warm up, we may well be back to square one with below average temperatures and cold rain.

Yeah so I'm not gettin' happy about it... I want something like March 2012 or April 2011 or April last year (without the bad Summers of course :rolleyes:)

Indeed.

After a year of below-average temperatures we got way above average from November to mid-February...and now as winter ends and the possibility of serious winter weather disappears the temperatures plunge again.

Seems God is really peed off at those who like cold winters and warm summers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah so I'm not gettin' happy about it... I want something like March 2012 or April 2011 or April last year (without the bad Summers of course :rolleyes:)

I seem to recall pretty much the whole of April 2007 being a scorcher as Aprils go. Weeks and weeks of warm sunshine. Followed by a dreadful Summer :D

Calibos wrote: »
    I seem to recall pretty much the whole of April 2007 being a scorcher as Aprils go. Weeks and weeks of warm sunshine. Followed by a dreadful Summer :D

First 10 days were cloudless; then..meh.

Calibos wrote: »

April 2015 was a scorcher! Have a look at the sunshine at Valentia Observatory, Dublin Airport and Belmullet in the attachment below during this month. It bet April 2007 as the sunniest April on record in all!

Meanwhile, here's April 2007 in this attachment (strangely looks sunnier though than 2015, however it is not... :confused:). These graphs by the way have been graphed by me with the help of Met Éireann's data (I rounded the values to the nearest full hour though).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

New forecaster on RTÉ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

flazio wrote: »
    New forecaster on RTÉ?

I like her, very upbeat and relaxed :)

Advertisement